Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Wonder why we don't hear PU mentioned when talking about Kaufman because PU has one the best engineering schools.  It seems like we here IU, UL and UVA as the schools with the best chance but if Painter is putting the full court press on he must think he still has a chance.

Trey wants to major in Physics. 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

To answer the question from above.  The full court press from Painter for Kaufman is still on.

If Painter lands Kaufman and Furst major props to him...he has stepped up his game big time. I don’t see it happening but man that would be a kick to the ol ballz.

1 hour ago, NY hoosier said:

I appreciate not giving up sources, still any insight you can share is always very interesting. & Thanks for all you do for HSN!

Appreciate your kind words.

Let me leave it at this. The Furst commit never deterred the Black and Gold from still going after Trey.  In fact it accelerated their attempt.  Shortly after the commit. Trey has said the B & G told him they believe both of them can play together.

Stay strong Hoosier Sports Nation !

3 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I still see no way Trey ends up at PU.  I believe it’s down to IU and UL.

My personal belief is that is the case. However, I wanted to point out that PU has not given up on Trey.  As always.... nice to hear from you.  The guy who broke the story on Sampsongate, literally days before any other person or site.  And was not even given credit for doing it.  But mile will never forget.  Stay safe. 

15 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Maybe our resident BM fan can enlighten us as to when was the last time a player (especially a highly recruited one) has ever majored in Engineering?  It's one of the roughest curriculum's for any freshman.  A kid that can carry calculus, physics, chemistry classes and put in the time to play big-time basketball is worthy of respect.

Oh it definitely is rare. The only two guys off the top of my head who studied engineering were Matt Kiefer many moons ago playing for Keady/Painter and more recently (granted its football) but Elijah Sindelar got his bachelor/masters in electrical engineering. It can happen but it’s not common. If I had a dollar for every athlete that said they wanted to study engineering in college and then didn’t, I’d be going on a nice trip here soon with the money haha. 

14 hours ago, dgambill said:

If Painter lands Kaufman and Furst major props to him...he has stepped up his game big time. I don’t see it happening but man that would be a kick to the ol ballz.

The full court press is definitely still on. Painter is working the angle of Kaufman being able to play alongside Furst which seems to be resonating. I still think it’s unlikely he goes to Purdue but that would be a hell of a frontcourt. 

31 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Oh it definitely is rare. The only two guys off the top of my head who studied engineering were Matt Kiefer many moons ago playing for Keady/Painter and more recently (granted its football) but Elijah Sindelar got his bachelor/masters in electrical engineering. It can happen but it’s not common. If I had a dollar for every athlete that said they wanted to study engineering in college and then didn’t, I’d be going on a nice trip here soon with the money haha. 

Thanks for the info.  I can attest (personal experience) that freshman engineering is very rigorous.  5 hours calc, physics (w/lab & recitation), chemistry (recitation, no lab, strangely) and a couple of engineering/programming classes (it was that way in 1978) in the first semester.  It was the calculus that broke my back ☹️.

I have always wondered about players that say they want to study engineering and play.  I'm sure it can be done, but IMO it takes an extraordinary kid.  And to address Mile, Allan Henderson was one of those incredible young men.

42 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Thanks for the info.  I can attest (personal experience) that freshman engineering is very rigorous.  5 hours calc, physics (w/lab & recitation), chemistry (recitation, no lab, strangely) and a couple of engineering/programming classes (it was that way in 1978) in the first semester.  It was the calculus that broke my back ☹️.

I have always wondered about players that say they want to study engineering and play.  I'm sure it can be done, but IMO it takes an extraordinary kid.  And to address Mile, Allan Henderson was one of those incredible young men.

I thoroughly disagree. I too was an an engineer, and I spent most of freshman year drinking and playing pick-up basketball. I had taken most of those classes as APs in high school, though, at least back then, you couldn't use those to qualify for engineering credit. By junior and senior year things were harder, but a basketball player should be able to use summer classes to spread out the load and make things manageable.

I imagine basketball players have lots of access to tutors as well, that would be a huge help.

Edit: let me add that while I was never close to failing out, I wasn't at the top of the class either.

13 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I thoroughly disagree. I too was an an engineer, and I spent most of freshman year drinking and playing pick-up basketball. I had taken most of those classes as APs in high school, though, at least back then, you couldn't use those to qualify for engineering credit. By junior and senior year things were harder, but a basketball player should be able to use summer classes to spread out the load and make things manageable.

I imagine basketball players have lots of access to tutors as well, that would be a huge help.

Edit: let me add that while I was never close to failing out, I wasn't at the top of the class either.

Where’d you go to school?

22 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

All I can say is that of the students that began on day 1 with me, probably 80% were gone by the end of the second semester.

You are correct that athletes DO get assistance that the average kid doesn't.

3 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

All I can say is that of the students that began on day 1 with me, probably 80% were gone by the end of the second semester.

Not my experience at all. Sophomore year was when you hit the weed out engineering class and half of people switched majors. Very few dropouts freshman year.

5 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

The full court press is definitely still on. Painter is working the angle of Kaufman being able to play alongside Furst which seems to be resonating. I still think it’s unlikely he goes to Purdue but that would be a hell of a frontcourt. 

That sounds more like Painter's wet dream than anything realistic.

...but hey...dream big, Toiletmaker Nation!

Archived