Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I suppose there can be a degree of credit a coach can get for "developing" a player, but my belief is that more often than not the player either starts with superior talent would likely make it to the next level or has the internal drive to improve as part of his make up.  D Wade or Victor O would have become what they did/are under any number of coaches.  I can see where many factors by a coach (and staff including S&C) can help a player immensely, but probably the biggest factor is style of play and how a given player is used in that system.

Cal probably has one of the highest reputations for getting players to the league, but FFS he's starting out with players that could have been drafted out of high school if it were allowed.  I kind of see it like auto racing - where the coach is the driver and the player is the car.

All that said, obviously some coaches are better than others based on success.  Painter is an outstanding coach, doing things his way (reliance on system) other coaches may succeed because by being good salesmen recruiters.  There's a lot of very capable coaches and that's why recruiting is so cut-throat.

Great post Zuckerkorn!!! We think alike. I have always felt Cal’s best asset (IMHO, his only asset), is his ability to sell top 5 stars to come to play at UK. He is second to none in that area....Countless times I have tried to figure out what it is that has drawn so many envied players to the “dark side” for so long. I finally came to the conclusion that those players, once coveted by IU coaches and fans, were never the team players that we hoped would wear the Cream and Crimson proudly. Bottom line, those players are looking for a fast track to the NBA and $$$$. Cal has a system, “get em’ in and out”, “play with the nations best”.....etc. 

14 hours ago, milehiiu said:

As I just posted.  Think Virginia will eventually get dropped... due to distance from home. As Trey has said he wants mom to attend his games.  But then again...that is only my take on how things are shaping out right now.

I thought someone earlier said that the mom would move to wherever Trey attends school.

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I thought someone earlier said that the mom would move to wherever Trey attends school.

Trey himself said that.  Other factors the family will need to consider when it comes to moving are grandparents and a younger brother.  

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

I know. I know. Just pointing out the double standard of others making the point to go after Boiler and his positive comments that Trey made. I don’t think Trey will end up at Purdue but at this point they are still in the hunt and if Matt is still working his angle they have a chance. They’ve had more recent success than us, they are an Indiana school still so not crazy out of foot print for family, and they have a great science school and we know education is important. Lots of good reasons to consider them. Again at the end of day I think we give him the best combo of deciding factors.

What's the matter with you?!!  Stop selling Turdue to recruits!!!🤮🤮🤮

Archived