Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

20 minutes ago, DWB said:

For as much as he posts here, I'm starting to think he's been an IU fan all his life, and the PU stuff is just window dressing.

Glad to have you Stl, you're one, out of 2, decent PU fans.

Not sure if you know my background but my parents are both IU grads/fans so I grew up watching IU stuff (I remember being at Disney for the ‘02 championship game). They were never diehard fans though and never made it a situation where I had to go to IU/could never root for/attend Purdue (I had plenty of friends that their parents legit wouldn’t let them go to Purdue which blows my mind tbh). Over time, my fandom switched to Purdue and by my junior year in high school (2005), I was 100% Purdue.  Black sheep of the family as my sister and wife are also IU grads as well. 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Not sure if you know my background but my parents are both IU grads/fans so I grew up watching IU stuff (I remember being at Disney for the ‘02 championship game). They were never diehard fans though and never made it a situation where I had to go to IU/could never root for/attend Purdue (I had plenty of friends that their parents legit wouldn’t let them go to Purdue which blows my mind tbh). Over time, my fandom switched to Purdue and by my junior year in high school (2005), I was 100% Purdue.  Black sheep of the family as my sister and wife are also IU grads as well. 

You surrounded Stl!

Just another example of an "expert" proving his invaluable service to the fans. Or, it could be just another hack that wants to stir it up so people will click on their so-called work. The fact someone pays them for this endless tripe being dripped out routinely is beyond me. The question is, what changed to warrant these more recent updates? 

Is IU's recruiting effort the same, less than, or more than it was before? Has anyone heard a peep from TK or his family that would suggest something changed? Or is it as simple as a skilled big getting attention and offers from other programs who missed out or their first choice or thought they could just swoop in late and score a top player? Nobody knows the answer to any of these, so every bit of the recent reports is speculation tossed out to get your attention.

It's not a big secret. If you want to draw a crowd to your article or site you just mention anything related to the coach, players, recruits of the schools with large followings. If you write, and I use that term loosely when it comes to recruiting, for a specific team's fan base you just need to stir the pot. Get people talking. Mission accomplished. But take it with a grain of salt because very few of them know anything about what is really going on. 

3 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Just another example of an "expert" proving his invaluable service to the fans. Or, it could be just another hack that wants to stir it up so people will click on their so-called work. The fact someone pays them for this endless tripe being dripped out routinely is beyond me. The question is, what changed to warrant these more recent updates? 

Is IU's recruiting effort the same, less than, or more than it was before? Has anyone heard a peep from TK or his family that would suggest something changed? Or is it as simple as a skilled big getting attention and offers from other programs who missed out or their first choice or thought they could just swoop in late and score a top player? Nobody knows the answer to any of these, so every bit of the recent reports is speculation tossed out to get your attention.

It's not a big secret. If you want to draw a crowd to your article or site you just mention anything related to the coach, players, recruits of the schools with large followings. If you write, and I use that term loosely when it comes to recruiting, for a specific team's fan base you just need to stir the pot. Get people talking. Mission accomplished. But take it with a grain of salt because very few of them know anything about what is really going on. 

Just a guess but I think they see Trey not committing to us by now means he is looking for a better option.  I also think that these experts think if he was going to IU he would have already committed.

37 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

If the path you chose is not a courageous act, I don't know what is. 

28 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just a guess but I think they see Trey not committing to us by now means he is looking for a better option.  I also think that these experts think if he was going to IU he would have already committed.

There is a big difference in thoroughly exploring all of your current options and looking for a better option. 

Just one more thing regarding the timing of Trey's commitment because the impatience of some of you guys is wearing me down.  Let's look at the timing of some recent in-state commits that were as highly ranked as Trey.

.Was TJD committed to IU before the end of August?  No

Was Romeo committed to IU before the end August?  No.

Was James Blackmon Jr. committed to IU before the end of August?  No.

Was Cody Zeller committed to IU before the end of August?    No.

23 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Just one more thing regarding the timing of Trey's commitment because the impatience of some of you guys is wearing me down.  Let's look at the timing of some recent in-state commits that were as highly ranked as Trey.

Bringing facts to what is clearly an emotional discussion? No wonder you have so many ex wives

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Pretty much the opposite experience here.  My mom is from Lafayette (I was born in Lafayette) and my dad, brother, uncles, aunts, cousins, etc were Purdue grads so I grew up a Purdue fan.  I remember my first college football game in Ross Ade watching Leroy Keyes run wild and was quite fond of Rick Mount, Billy Keller, Herm Gilliam, etc on the B-ball side.  My IU fandom began when I stepped foot on campus in Bloomington as a freshman in 1972.  What a hell of a ride on the basketball side and while a totally different experience, my football loyalty was (and still is) total immersion and die hard as a fan.

I said all that to say this - I am the RED SHEEP of my family and proud as hell to have broken the vicious cycle!  I had several cousins follow my lead so in about 20 years things might START to even out a bit.  Long way to go though - Go Hoosiers!!!!!

12 minutes ago, eddy4iu said:

Pretty much the opposite experience here.  My mom is from Lafayette (I was born in Lafayette) and my dad, brother, uncles, aunts, cousins, etc were Purdue grads so I grew up a Purdue fan.  I remember my first college football game in Ross Ade watching Leroy Keyes run wild and was quite fond of Rick Mount, Billy Keller, Herm Gilliam, etc on the B-ball side.  My IU fandom began when I stepped foot on campus in Bloomington as a freshman in 1972.  What a hell of a ride on the basketball side and while a totally different experience, my football loyalty was (and still is) total immersion and die hard as a fan.

I said all that to say this - I am the RED SHEEP of my family and proud as hell to have broken the vicious cycle!  I had several cousins follow my lead so in about 20 years things might START to even out a bit.  Long way to go though - Go Hoosiers!!!!!

eddie.  You just dropped some huge PU names there. 

I personally want @5foulsto bring more intel.  He should be reporting what his kids saw Trey eat for lunch and what shoes he is wearing each day.  This is key info we need to scrutinize as much as possible:

PBJ for lunch?  was it strawberry or apricot jam?  Or was it grape to avoid the IU/VU colors?

Nike or Adidas clothes?  Or making a neutral choice of new balance.

We need this key information!

25 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I personally want @5foulsto bring more intel.  He should be reporting what his kids saw Trey eat for lunch and what shoes he is wearing each day.  This is key info we need to scrutinize as much as possible:

PBJ for lunch?  was it strawberry or apricot jam?  Or was it grape to avoid the IU/VU colors?

Nike or Adidas clothes?  Or making a neutral choice of new balance.

We need this key information!

I can tell you that our team wore Adidas apparel last year.

I'll just say this. If I'm an in state recruit...especially a highly touted one...I wouldn't be letting those out there that matter of how interested you are in IU at an early stage. It will work against you and IU. You can keep that interest between yourself and the staff but what we're seeing here is exactly how I would recruit against IU forever. See Trey...crazy fan base, maybe you would be better charting your own path.....get away from all the comparisons to former players,etc.....I could go on and on. 

Trey has done nothing wrong with the exception of telling someone or someone in his camp telling people he was a hard IU lean. If it was one site or one media member sure.....but everyone in the world has been talking about Trey all year. Combine that with additional 21 offers and other people coming into see Trey? Seems a tad messy. Just my opinion. If your kid is a high profile recruit....you can show your interest in IU privately but no way would I leak or tell others early on. 

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

E29FCA62-F0BF-4C50-9F26-D2E00E7EC9B3.jpeg

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

neither was Yogi.. do point guard lives matter!?!?!

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Then he decommitted ... committing early really isn't all that good of a "thing". 

Thanks - I trying to get at this... subtly! It does not matter when they commit, it matters whether they come. I hope Trey (the new one) commits when he is ready... (hopefully soon :)).

Archived