Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Thanks for the info!

...you answered my question before I asked it.  Very helpful...thanks!

Looks like better than a self-guided tour but far short of the hoopla involved in an official.  Curious though...why let players talk to non-sports personnel, but not the coaching staff?  Are coaches more likely to have cooties?  Honestly, I don't get that.  I get not having kids spend a weekend on campus right now, but I can't say in understand not letting coaching staffs talk to kids while they are there.  Seems like an unnecessary and arbitrary restriction on the surface.

Because they don't want to backtrack on their recruiting dead period stance. This might change at the end of September. I think that's when the current dead period is scheduled to end.

34 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Is the coaching staff recruiting anyone else for his position? You know, if you snooze you lose?

I guess I'm still old school where I believe if a kid wanted to be a Hoosier, he would have committed already. And yeah I get the he should take all the times he needs bit, but sheeesh....

Trey is not snoozing.  I posted this earlier.  But, did Cody Zeller, Romeo Langford, James Blackmon Jr. or Trayce Jackson-Davis not want to be Hoosiers?  I ask because NONE of them were committed to IU on September 2nd of their senior year.  

I'll go so far as to say that this type of expectation is more likely to turn a kid off a school than turn him on to it.  This is an extremely important decision in a kid's life.  

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Is the coaching staff recruiting anyone else for his position? You know, if you snooze you lose?

I guess I'm still old school where I believe if a kid wanted to be a Hoosier, he would have committed already. And yeah I get the he should take all the times he needs bit, but sheeesh....

The spot will be there if he wants it. They can get Miller and the ouch won't be as bad. Still have Hunter and Race for another year. Gives Miller a year to get his feet wet. Then go after someone in '22.

5 hours ago, hoosierfan34 said:

Sounds like Trey is taking some campus visits to UVa and UNC. Just passing along. 

Just my two cent opinion but maybe he wants to see those places soon over a long weekend so he can come back and evaluate. He already knows what he has in Bloomington. Now if he comes back from this weekend and let's say this recruitment goes until Turkey time....at that point I'd say we have something to worry about. Until that time. Kid is doing his due diligence and at the same time getting these visits going so he can be fair to himself and our staff as well. 

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

UNC scares me a little bit here. If the pandemic continues, they will be well-positioned after pioneering the idea of not showing up for class.

I know this has a hint of sarcasm, but if a school tries to sell TK on fake classes, they are barking up the wrong tree. Trey takes academics seriously, so if anything that will be a turn off. Again, that’s not directed at your comment. Lol

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just my two cent opinion but maybe he wants to see those places soon over a long weekend so he can come back and evaluate. He already knows what he has in Bloomington. Now if he comes back from this weekend and let's say this recruitment goes until Turkey time....at that point I'd say we have something to worry about. Until that time. Kid is doing his due diligence and at the same time getting these visits going so he can be fair to himself and our staff as well. 

I’ll start worrying more if he thinks the restrictions are lifted to where he can visit them in January or February. If so, he’ll likely extend things out until the Spring. Which, I’m not sure IU fans could handle. 🙂

4 minutes ago, hoosierfan34 said:

I’ll start worrying more if he thinks the restrictions are lifted to where he can visit them in January or February. If so, he’ll likely extend things out until the Spring. Which, I’m not sure IU fans could handle. 🙂

Spring? Haha...no dice. I'll say Thanksgiving after that our staff needs to fill what they need to fill. Two way street. I think. Haha.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

By all accounts, Trey is very analytical .  So in that respect it does not surprise me that he wants to visit two other campuses this weekend.  Even if it is just with his family. What does concern me is that Trey has scheduled UNC.... considering they came in so late.

39 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

By all accounts, Trey is very analytical .  So in that respect it does not surprise me that he wants to visit two other campuses this weekend.  Even if it is just with his family. What does concern me is that Trey has scheduled UNC.... considering they came in so late.

3 hour drive from Charlottesville to Chapel Hill. Two birds one stone on a long weekend. No problem with the visits my problem will be in 90 days if nothing comes of those visits and he still hasn't popped for us. If that's the path they choose I have zero problem with that at all but many, many coaches have gotten themselves fired for waiting for kids without solid options behind it. 

Or maybe I could look at this way. Just for conversation. Maybe Coach Miller said hey. We love you obviously....but this is a two way street. If you need to go somewhere and compare us that's fine. We applaud that. In the same department though you have to understand we need a call by November so we can adjust as well. Two way street.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

3 hour drive from Charlottesville to Chapel Hill. Two birds one stone on a long weekend. No problem with the visits my problem will be in 90 days if nothing comes of those visits and he still hasn't popped for us. If that's the path they choose I have zero problem with that at all but many, many coaches have gotten themselves fired for waiting for kids without solid options behind it. 

Or maybe I could look at this way. Just for conversation. Maybe Coach Miller said hey. We love you obviously....but this is a two way street. If you need to go somewhere and compare us that's fine. We applaud that. In the same department though you have to understand we need a call by November so we can adjust as well. Two way street.

Agree with you. As much as I want Kaufman.  And we are not there yet. But there will come a time, when I believe Coach Miller, has to say " You snooze, you lose".

UNC site story with blurb on Kaufman.

And I quote.  

Kaufman is one of the newer targets for the Tar Heels, and his play this summer was impressive. He didn’t have his best high school season,

He was only Gatorade Player of The Year in the state with the best High School Basketball in the country.

https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Article/North-Carolina-Tar-Heels-Roy-Williams-Dontrez-Styles-Hunter-Sallis-Harrison-Ingram-Trevor-Keels-rankings-150979271/

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

And I quote.  

Kaufman is one of the newer targets for the Tar Heels, and his play this summer was impressive. He didn’t have his best high school season,

He was only Gatorade Player of The Year in the state with the best High School Basketball in the country.

If I did not know better. I would have thought that statement was written by our "old friend"  (sic).... Trust in Roy. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

If I did not know better. I would have thought that statement was written by our "old friend"  (sic).... Trust in Roy. 

Is that the dude that hung out with Teamwork Orange on another site? Can't imagine someone saying a kid that won an honor his Junior year in this state that's only been won 4-5x ever.

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

And I quote.  

Landing well short of Mars, Neil Armstrong spotted during lonely walk on the moon

DAY IN HISTORY: Armstrong takes first step on the moon | Roma Western Star

Archived