Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Hopefully Wilkes can play somewhere next season. His verbal agreement with the Knicks was voided when he came down with a serious illness, according to then head coach Fizdale.  He got ill,” Fizdale said of Wilkes. “He came down with a serious illness. I don’t know what it was but it was pretty severe.”

Personally for the kid I hope he finds a league somewhere to play in. In terms of how it impacted IU? Not a fan. Wish Wilkes good luck but him and his family can think long and hard about the UCLA decision over drinks for the rest of their lives. 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think TK is an important recruit for IU. But, mainly because I feel like elite guards and wings are more abundant. It’s not everyday you get a 6’9” big with great court vision and guard skills. More importantly, I think he’s at least a 3 year kid. In helping a program “get old and stay old”, I think TK is important for IU, maybe more so than any other recruit since Zeller. 

7 minutes ago, hoosierfan34 said:

I think TK is an important recruit for IU. But, mainly because I feel like elite guards and wings are more abundant. It’s not everyday you get a 6’9” big with great court vision and guard skills. More importantly, I think he’s at least a 3 year kid. In helping a program “get old and stay old”, I think TK is important for IU, maybe more so than any other recruit since Zeller. 

Still confident he ends up at IU?

1 hour ago, hoosierfan34 said:

Just my worthless opinion. Romeo was the key recruit. If a kid like TK is as good as he or those around him think he is....he isn't a 3 year guy. 3 and 4 year guys go to Illinois or Purdue. 

TK isn't Romeo.  He's not this mythical, Damon chasing, pack the gymnasium, autographing signing an hour and a half after the game, first big recruit by the head coach kind of guy.  Factor in that he's a Top 35 player, not a Top 5 player in his class like Romeo was, and the comparison just isn't fair. 

I've seen him play in something close to 60 games the last 3 seasons.  He's developed significantly over that time.  I have not seen his development over the summer, other than what I caught on video clips and the one streamed game where he and Duncomb abused Furst.  But, based on what I saw from him up until that point, he would be considered a 3 year player.  Will he be a pro caliber player after those 3 years?  Probably so.  But, he's not ready now, and likely will not be after a year of college. 

The other thing about Trey is that academics will play a part in his decision on when to leave.  It won't be the only factor, but I'm comfortable saying that academics will play a larger role in when to leave college than it does for the average student-athlete.  That's one of the reasons why he would consider early enrollment if the high school season is cancelled. I t not only gets him working out with his college team earlier, but it gets him a semester ahead of the game academically.  

8 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Just my worthless opinion. Romeo was the key recruit. If a kid like TK is as good as he or those around him think he is....he isn't a 3 year guy. 3 and 4 year guys go to Illinois or Purdue. 

I think he’s a 3 year guy. For one, he can graduate in 3 years because he’s smart enough and disciplined enough to do it. And I’m willing to bet he’ll have several college credits already when he graduates HS. But from a basketball perspective, you have a McDs AA like TJD who is coming back for year 2, so it’s not like TK being in college for 3 years is a stretch. 

I think TK will be a really good college player. But, I don’t think he’s going to be some juggernaut double/double guy his freshman year. Do I think he starts his freshman year?  Yes. But, I think he’ll have a modestly successful first season. I think by year 2 he’ll start getting some attention and maybe on some 2nd round draft boards. And then by end of year 3, he’ll have a legit chance to be a professional. 

Romeo was a key recruit, as we all know. Crean left and we needed to know that Archie could get a top Indiana HS player, a Mr. Basketball, etc. So yes, Romeo was key in that it made it sexy again for top Indiana HS talent to come to IU. But, I think TK is a more important recruit, as I feel his length of time at IU will help build the program that Archie is trying to create and sustain. 

28 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

TK recruitment is massive for IU! I’m getting a little nervous about Virginia. What you guys think that have a little more info? 

This is just my opinion, but Virginia is the team I'm concerned about as well.  But, I also understand that if he chooses Virginia, it's for the right reasons.  He's supposed to announce a Final 5 list this afternoon.  There are two teams I am 100% convinced are on the list.  Those are IU and Virginia.  As far as the other 3, UNC, Purdue, Louisville, and Xavier form the most likely pool to choose from.  

39 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

TK recruitment is massive for IU! I’m getting a little nervous about Virginia. What you guys think that have a little more info? 

The staff feels it’s between IU and UVa. UVa has a few things going for them: 1) Tony Bennett, 2)Recent success, 3) Development of recent NBA players who play similar positions, and 4)UVa doesn’t have a 2021 commit yet (unless I missed someone recently). 

However, as I’ve stated repeatedly, I don’t see TK going far from home. Plus, without an official visit, he didn’t have a chance to see UVa the way he normally could have and he has no relationship with the current team. Whereas, with IU he is very familiar with current players and Duncomb. His relationship is quite strong with IU and the staff (kudos to Ostrom) and IU is hitting all the right notes with TK on the things he sees as most important in this recruitment. 

Just now, hoosierfan34 said:

The staff feels it’s between IU and UVa. UVa has a few things going for them: 1) Tony Bennett, 2)Recent success, 3) Development of recent NBA players who play similar positions, and 4)UVa doesn’t have a 2021 commit yet (unless I missed someone recently). 

However, as I’ve stated repeatedly, I don’t see TK going far from home. Plus, without an official visit, he didn’t have a chance to see UVa the way he normally could have and he has no relationship with the current team. Whereas, with IU he is very familiar with current players and Duncomb. His relationship is quite strong with IU and the staff (kudos to Ostrom) and IU is hitting all the right notes with TK on the things he sees as most important in this recruitment. 

This is the way I see it.  I think the proximity of the IU campus weights heavily in the Hoosiers favor.  If UVA was a 2 hour drive as opposed to a 6-7 hour drive, then it's a different story.  Covid has probably helped IU out as well.  

26 minutes ago, hoosierfan34 said:

And Trey is on record of saying having a relationship with team members is important to him.

Jeffries rule still in effect.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Saw where the schedule for the Forum Credit Union Classic at Southport has came out.  I guess it is a good sign that there might be a high school season.  Looks like there will be plenty of IU targets that will be playing in it.

Where are you seeing the full schedule.  I know Silver creek and FW Blackhawk are scheduled to meet (again).  But, I have not seen the full schedule.  

37 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Per SS...could it be Trey🤔

20200908_121753.jpg

Sam is always dialed in. Sometimes things don't work out. I don't blame coach.... knowing we are dealing with teenagers who are able to change their minds over night. Always apply the Jeffries rule.

Jax. Thanks. For bringing that to our attention. 

I don't follow coachss outside of this site, but making that comment about Duncomb doesn't feel like something he would do. My guess is, if someone has more or less committed to the staff already, it would be Miller. Seems like kaufman is legit undecided and Aminu wants to wait until that tourney later on.

Archived