Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

Goes without saying just hoping it's us. Seems like a tremendous kid with an obvious next level skill set. One thing I'm glad I've only had to deal with a couple times....someone knows already where this kid is going. I can't imagine what it's like to know real inside dope and have to keep it quiet.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope he’s concluded we are the best spot for him.  And that he chooses us.  If not I wish him all the luck in the world unless he’s playing the Hoosiers. Been a terrific kid and dealt with a crappy hand for his senior year with poise that I wish I saw out of more adults.  

Hopefully it’s IU so the staff can dial in harder on other recruits but also nice to know that we always can get Al and Joey to stick around if need be. 

I have zero insider information, but I have to to believe it is the good guys:

1. It would be too awesome - for him, for us (IU basketball), for the state of Indiana
  2. Maybe this is not a coincidence 😀:
On 9/29/2020 at 11:22 AM, 5fouls said:

I don't know.  Trey is very analytical.  I suspect '100' is too boring for him.  Something more random, such as 103 might appeal more to him. 

103 is a prime... even a twin prime. 

1 hour ago, eddy4iu said:

Does this imply he has reached a decision? Doesn’t seem like a kid who would self-impose a deadline to force himself to decide.

In Trey's case, it would not surprise me.  He wants this to be over before the high school season so he can focus on winning another state championship.  He very well could be undecided, but is determined to get it settled before the season.

53 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I have zero insider information, but I have to to believe it is the good guys:

1. It would be too awesome - for him, for us (IU basketball), for the state of Indiana
  2. Maybe this is not a coincidence 😀:

103 is a prime... even a twin prime. 

Ah, that 5fouls quote is the one I was looking for earlier. 

Saw CoachSS tweet out he’s getting info it’s also an IU/Purdue decision for him too. I like the fact that IU has always been the one consistent team mentioned in his recruitment but hopefully that wasn’t just because of the fact he’s the biggest recruiting target/more fans & media coverage giving the impression we were the leader. 

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Trey-Kaufman-decision-set-Indiana-Indiana-State-North-Carolina-Purdue-Virginia-Kaden-Cooper-Nate-Barnhart-Wyoming-Elijah-Thomas-153305532/

Eric Bossi formally of Rivals now of 247 sports if you don’t want to read basically says if he had to pick he’d pick IU but he really has no idea. 

11 minutes ago, IUskim said:

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Trey-Kaufman-decision-set-Indiana-Indiana-State-North-Carolina-Purdue-Virginia-Kaden-Cooper-Nate-Barnhart-Wyoming-Elijah-Thomas-153305532/

Eric Bossi formally of Rivals now of 247 sports if you don’t want to read basically says if he had to pick he’d pick IU but he really has no idea. 

Now that's really going out on a limb!!!  😄

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Any info on which way the wind seems to be blowing??? 😉

Nobody can say for sure which way he’s leaning because he’s been so good about keeping it within his family circle. But, I will say I think if he’s doing an honest pros/cons list, IU has the slight edge in the pros column. I know the IU staff likes its chances. 

Regardless of his choice, Trey is a quality young man,  Whatever his choice, he's doing it for the right reasons for him.  Making the assumption it is down to IU and Purdue, two things I look at that could be determining factors.

• Championship pedigree.  Trey wants to win.  Which team offers him the best chance to get one in college.   This is where UVA and UNC had an advantage, but distance from home may have taken them out of the equation.  So, when comparing IU to PU,  history says advantage IU, but Trey wasn't alive for those championships. Has the IU staff been able to convince him that he's a big piece in helping bring a new banner to Assembly Hall.
  • NBA aspirations.  Currently IU holds a 9-3 advantage in active NBA players.  Now, many of those are Crean guys, with Juwan and Romeo being the only ones Archie can claim.  And, TJD seems well on his way to adding to IU's total.  That said, historically IU simply produces more NBA players.  I may be (am) biased, but I just think going to IU opens that door a little bit wider than going to Purdue.  Just like if you look at 2 guys of equal skill, one that went to UNC and one that went to NC State.  The UNC guy will get a closer look by the NBA.  Same way for UCLA vs. USC.  If they are truly equal players, it shouldn't.  But, it does. 

50 minutes ago, hoosierfan34 said:

Nobody can say for sure which way he’s leaning because he’s been so good about keeping it within his family circle. But, I will say I think if he’s doing an honest pros/cons list, IU has the slight edge in the pros column. I know the IU staff likes its chances. 

You can put this on the 'con' side of the ledger for Purdue.

Taylor Martinez and the Nebraska O-Line posing for a picture : CFB

Archived