Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From a basketball standpoint, and I’m trying to be objective here, IU makes the most sense.  At IU he could play essentially a four position with the ball flowing through him quite a bit where he can leverage his versatility at an optimum level.  

Purdue runs motion, which he might like, but he and Furst are not as complementary to me.  For one, Furst has been promised to play the four at Purdue.  So, where does that leave Trey?  The three?  He’s got some tweener in him to play the three at this level.  There are guys like Geronimo with tremendous quickness playing the three.  A lot of schools play three guards.  Meanwhile, at IU, we know he and Duncomb complement each other well, and he’d have the likes of Geronimo, Hunter, or Galloway manning the three alongside him.  He is complemented well both directions.  

Having said all that, kids make decisions for a variety of reasons. Sometimes they make choices that are puzzling.  A great example is Keion Brooks.  In the end, it’s up to the player and his family, right or wrong.  

8 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

From a basketball standpoint, and I’m trying to be objective here, IU makes the most sense.  At IU he could play essentially a four position with the ball flowing through him quite a bit where he can leverage his versatility at an optimum level.  

Purdue runs motion, which he might like, but he and Furst are not as complementary to me.  For one, Furst has been promised to play the four at Purdue.  So, where does that leave Trey?  The three?  He’s got some tweener in him to play the three at this level.  There are guys like Geronimo with tremendous quickness playing the three.  A lot of schools play three guards.  Meanwhile, at IU, we know he and Duncomb complement each other well, and he’d have the likes of Geronimo, Hunter, or Galloway manning the three alongside him.  He is complemented well both directions.  

Having said all that, kids make decisions for a variety of reasons. Sometimes they make choices that are puzzling.  A great example is Keion Brooks.  In the end, it’s up to the player and his family, right or wrong.  

I think you’d see some combo or Trey at the 3, Furst at the 4, and Williams at the 5 similar to the Vince Edwards/Swanigan/Haas lineups. I think Furst will also play some 5 and you could have Kaufman at the 4 and go small ball. 

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think you’d see some combo or Trey at the 3, Furst at the 4, and Williams at the 5 similar to the Vince Edwards/Swanigan/Haas lineups. I think Furst will also play some 5 and you could have Kaufman at the 4 and go small ball. 

I think we agree on usage. But I don’t see that as an ideal fit.  More like a force fit.  On the other hand, at IU, I think he’d be able to exhibit his full repertoire in terms of versatility.  He will be able to go up high, initiate, pass, etc, get down on the blocks and post, etc. Purdue’s opportunities look like a much more clogged floor.   

1 minute ago, IUProfessor said:

I thought Kaufman had said somewhere he was hoping to play the 3 quite a bit in college. I agree his game is probably better suited for the 4, but if he sees himself at the 3 then Purdue makes a bit more sense than the above would suggest.

You’re right that he might be thinking that.  In my view he will have a lot more space with IU’s personnel to show off that versatility, whether you call him a three or a four.  At Purdue, he’s likely facing far less space to operate and show off his triple threat ability.   Of course, in the end, it’s what he thinks that matters and your view might be exactly what he’s thinking.  I wouldn’t necessarily agree with it, though.  

3 hours ago, btroesch14 said:

Snow isn’t being used by coaching staffs. He is pretty accurate, since his crystal ball percentage is 94% with 295 picks made.  He had a crystal ball pick in for Trayce to IU and knew he was going there for a long time. He changed his mind on Duncomb before he committed. And him saying Kaufman won’t play with Lander was his own opinion. That didn’t come from  a coaching staff. 

You go by crystal ball percentage?  Oh that's adorable.

Snow on TJD on Nov. 29, 2018 --

"Michigan State has done a good job recently, and the Spartans are a major threat."

TJD had signed his national LOI with IU several weeks BEFORE this article.  

Snow on Duncomb on Apr. 2, 2020

"I don’t think there is a zero percent chance of the Hoosiers landing Duncomb, as he has been to campus twice, but an official visit was probably needed."

Duncomb had already communicated commitment to the staff.

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Take it for what it is worth, but Silver Creek's MaxPrep page does not list Kaufman as a '3'.  It, does, however, list PG as one of his positions.  

https://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/silver-creek-dragons-(sellersburg,in)/basketball/roster.htm

He’s a versatile player.  I think that’s his biggest strength.  

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

He’s a versatile player.  I think that’s his biggest strength.  

Silver Creek Scheduled to play FW Blackhawk on December 12th.  Would not be surprised at all to see Trey play a lot of Point that game to try and draw Furst away from the basket.

That said, Branden Northern, Silver Creek's 'true' PG has a D1 offer himself.  So, I actually don't expect to see Trey play the point a lot this season.   He'll help out with full course press and the like.  But, in a 'normal' game, Northern will have the bulk of playing time there.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Take it for what it is worth, but Silver Creek's MaxPrep page does not list Kaufman as a '3'.  It, does, however, list PG as one of his positions.  

https://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/silver-creek-dragons-(sellersburg,in)/basketball/roster.htm

Trey would probably hate me for saying this, but I think his highest and best use in college will be playing the 5.  I see him as a Draymond Green type of ultra modern 5.  Don't tell him I said that ;)

37 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Does Painter not take rejection well?

I'm sure there are others on this board with more info than me, but legend has it that when Colin called Matt to tell him his choice was IU, Matt did not take it well and used some rather....colorful....language.  It wasn't Matt's best day in regards to decorum.

1 hour ago, Muddy River said:

, Matt did not take it well and used some rather....colorful....language. 

Correct.  He yellowed at the top of his lungs something like "Orange you going to play for the Black and Gold?  I red on a Purdue message board that everything was green and good to go.  By committing to IU, you blue it."   

5 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Trey would probably hate me for saying this, but I think his highest and best use in college will be playing the 5.  I see him as a Draymond Green type of ultra modern 5.  Don't tell him I said that ;)

Love everything you bring. Not sure I see eye to eye on that accessment. Given how we run our offense with the 5 rarely coming out top on the floor to handle the ball Im not sure that would make best use of Treys ability to stretch the floor. NBA Draymond played a lot of 5 but in college Izzo didnt use him like that. He did play quite a bit of point forward but they regularly had a traditional big if I remember correctly. I think Adrian Payne. 
Also the B1G is very physical league and most teams still play a traditional 5. Where Draymond might have the physicality to hold his own against bigger guys is Trey that kind of ball player? He would get abused in the post imo and get into foul trouble. He is tall but he doesn’t have the physicality of say Trayce to hold it down imo.
He is the perfect stretch 4 to me. Able to help on the glass and take smaller 4s down low but also able to come out top as part of our weave and be available for ball reversals and spot up and take bigger guys one on one. Basically play Justin Smiths position...but actually be able to score and handle the ball on the perimeter. Could you imagine if Justin has Treys game? He wouldn’t be transferring that is for sure and we wouldn’t have had the long stretches where we couldn’t score as well. We can play him at the 5 but it just doesn’t seem to fit what Archie has done in the past.

Archived