Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Another thing to consider is that Trey plays in the Louisville media market.  He's getting as much, if not more, media coverage in the state of Kentucky than he is getting in Indiana.  Cal would be foolish to not take a look at a Top 30 player from the area that IU and UL have already offered.  

Nope

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Nope to which piece of the post?

I listen to sports talk radio 8+ hrs per day. I happen to catch shows representing UofL, UK, and IU. There is very little if any talk of Trey in this market (Louisville/Lexington) except the IU based shows. UK fans don't even know who he is. If you aren't a top 15 player, you don't get love from UK media.

7 hours ago, Moyeneeded said:

I listen to sports talk radio 8+ hrs per day. I happen to catch shows representing UofL, UK, and IU. There is very little if any talk of Trey in this market (Louisville/Lexington) except the IU based shows. UK fans don't even know who he is. If you aren't a top 15 player, you don't get love from UK media.

And, I've seen features on the 6 o'clock news a couple of times about Silver Creek with Trey getting specific mention  Also, some press coverage in the Courier Journal and News and Tribune (Indiana paper, yes, but a lot of UK fans on this side of river).  And, he's been highlighted in a few UL related stories, which many UK fans do keep an eye on.  Does JimBob from Pikeville know who he is?  No, of course not.  But, neither does Carl from Kokomo.

But, keep in mind he's not even started his Junior season, so the amount of coverage will just continue to increase.  And, I can assure you that Trey and Silver Creek will get more exposure on Louisville TV and in local Newspapers than he does on Indy TV and Indy newspapers.  And, while the UK fans may not go out of their way to listen to IU based sports radio, they are much more likely to stumble across a sports radio program where Trey and/or Silver Creek are being discussed than Carl from Kokomo is.   

35 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

And, I've seen features on the 6 o'clock news a couple of times about Silver Creek with Trey getting specific mention  Also, some press coverage in the Courier Journal and News and Tribune (Indiana paper, yes, but a lot of UK fans on this side of river).  And, he's been highlighted in a few UL related stories, which many UK fans do keep an eye on.  Does JimBob from Pikeville know who he is?  No, of course not.  But, neither does Carl from Kokomo.

But, keep in mind he's not even started his Junior season, so the amount of coverage will just continue to increase.  And, I can assure you that Trey and Silver Creek will get more exposure on Louisville TV and in local Newspapers than he does on Indy TV and Indy newspapers.  And, while the UK fans may not go out of their way to listen to IU based sports radio, they are much more likely to stumble across a sports radio program where Trey and/or Silver Creek are being discussed than Carl from Kokomo is.   

In related news, 5fouls is now banned from entering the city of Kokomo for indirectly comparing it to Pikeville. Residents of Pikeville are merely confused as to why their city is being compared to a Beach Boys song.

I can tell you this....do they follow Indiana HS athletics...hell no....but a lot more Joe Smoes in Kentucky following the UK boards and talk radio and UK recruiting web sites than people in Indiana. If Cal is on a kid they know his name and they know about him. I live down here...hopefully for not much longer but they follow those recruiting sites religiously. Now do they know anything REAL about the kids or their game...hell no...but once Trey gets on the radar on the websites and sports radio now...they will know. It kills me following a kid for several years and knowing everything about his game and then to hear them try to talk about some bullet point on a recruiting site and act like they know about the kid. But that's life in Kentucky....95% of their fans have never even dribbled a basketball yet they want to try to tell you something about it.

13 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

In related news, 5fouls is now banned from entering the city of Kokomo for indirectly comparing it to Pikeville. Residents of Pikeville are merely confused as to why their city is being compared to a Beach Boys song.

Pikeville is a nice town. Big medical facility and even the little hotels have great whiskey selections!

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Last I looked. IU is a very good free-throw shooting team this year...refreshing to see!

RMK returns to the program.  Free throw shooting improves. 

Improvement by osmosis, or are even current day players wary of the wrath of Knight should he not hit his free throws?

4 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

RMK returns to the program.  Free throw shooting improves. 

Improvement by osmosis, or are even current day players wary of the wrath of Knight should he not hit his free throws?

It didn't help but the last several years our primary scorers for whatever reason have not shot fts that great....and also our back court haven't either. The fact that our guards have also struggled over the past several years to shoot the 3 is no surprise since they also struggled at the line. On the bright side the guys right now that have been our primary scorers have shot free throws well. If Trayce, Justin, Al, Rob, and Devonte continue to shoot well we will look good...because they should primarily be the guys scoring.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

It didn't help but the last several years our primary scorers for whatever reason have not shot fts that great....and also our back court haven't either. The fact that our guards have also struggled over the past several years to shoot the 3 is no surprise since they also struggled at the line. On the bright side the guys right now that have been our primary scorers have shot free throws well. If Trayce, Justin, Al, Rob, and Devonte continue to shoot well we will look good...because they should primarily be the guys scoring.

Agree.  And it's an extremely old-school outlook, but one that holds true even today: There's zero excuses for being a below average free throw shooter.  Is everyone going to be Jordan Hulls? No.  But if you're athletic enough to walk on to a basketball court, you possess the physical abilities to be an average free throw shooter at worst. 

3 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

I hope CAM tracks this kid closely from here on out

There should be a lot of opportunities to see Trey play against quality competition this season.  I have to think IU will have coaches at several games.

• Head to head against Furst on December 14th in Southport.
  • Against Jeffersonville (3 D1 level players) on December 20th
  • Potential matchup against Lawrence Central (at least 3 D1 level players) in Championship of Hall of Fame tournament on December 28th.  The first round opponent, Heritage Hills has a lot of talent as well.  
  • @Bloomington North on January 18th, but IU is at Nebraska same day
  • New Albany on January 24th.
  • Against Leal and Bloomington South on February 1st.
  • Floyd Central on February 11th.

Out of all those games, the Bloomington North game appears to be the only one with a conflict.  Would be surprised if at least one coach from IU is not at 3-4 of those games.

Archived