Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

As a science guy, who spent a fair amount of time in Swain Hall myself, I love this.  If Trey is enthusiastic for physics, I think it would be a great major.  

Leathernecks teaches physics so he can weigh in.  But, physics is an incredibly versatile major.  The obvious thought for a basketball player is that physics will develop his analytical mind tremendously.  He will also be required to take a considerable amount of math.  With the way that analytics is taking off, I’d imagine that an NBA front office would love an accomplished ex-player who is also intimately comfortable with math and analytics.  

Beyond sports, physics people are in demand in a variety of ways.  With the development of so many revolutionary technologies, a physics degree is useful in many erupting fields like VR and AI, not to mention many other technologies.  Believe it or not, Wall Street has analysts with physics backgrounds, especially guys with advanced degrees if he’s so inclined.  He could go into patent law (which requires a science or engineering degree prior to law school) and likely be in high demand.  He could also be a teacher as his family is full of educators per 5Fouls. 

I am all for it if that’s where his enthusiasm lies.  With the way athletes are afforded opportunities to spread out their credits with the tactical use of summers, I think it is eminently do-able.  He’s famously a very bright young man.  The sky is the limit.  

@Leathernecks

That's it. I can't follow you anymore. I tried to avoid Swain Hall as much as possible. L104 and I believe C105 (early Chemistry) taught me enough to know my brain doesn't work in that world. Hahaha...

And to your subsequent points. All spot on. So many positions with a physics degree. It's not so much the facts/information retained/regurgitated,etc.....it's how a brain works and problem solves. AI, Legal....endless options besides just the visual of staring at a lab like most think. 

Kudos to Trey.....but seriously. We need a commit kid. 

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

As a science guy, who spent a fair amount of time in Swain Hall myself, I love this.  If Trey is enthusiastic for physics, I think it would be a great major.  

Leathernecks teaches physics so he can weigh in.  But, physics is an incredibly versatile major.  The obvious thought for a basketball player is that physics will develop his analytical mind tremendously.  He will also be required to take a considerable amount of math.  With the way that analytics is taking off, I’d imagine that an NBA front office would love an accomplished ex-player who is also intimately comfortable with math and analytics.  

Beyond sports, physics people are in demand in a variety of ways.  With the development of so many revolutionary technologies, a physics degree is useful in many erupting fields like VR and AI, not to mention many other technologies.  Believe it or not, Wall Street has analysts with physics backgrounds, especially guys with advanced degrees if he’s so inclined.  He could go into patent law (which requires a science or engineering degree prior to law school) and likely be in high demand.  He could also be a teacher as his family is full of educators per 5Fouls. 

I am all for it if that’s where his enthusiasm lies.  With the way athletes are afforded opportunities to spread out their credits with the tactical use of summers, I think it is eminently do-able.  He’s famously a very bright young man.  The sky is the limit.  

@Leathernecks

I haven't been following the conversation at all, but physics is a big help with sports.  I didn't get into physics until after I was done playing sports, but for coaching, there are always different ways I see things now that I know physics.  The analytical aspect would be a big help too.

I would say that what he learns in class will help, but science, especially physics really changes the way you look at things.  Initially motion related, but just the world and problem solving in general.  Since I started getting more into physics, I start noticing it all around.  You focus more on angles for passes, forces, speeds, etc.  Things like that start to come a lot more naturally all the time when you think about them.

Without looking at it, I would guess he'll take some motion related physics in his first semester in physics.  Motion is usually the first class, so that would be a help for basketball.  Otherwise, a lot of physics deals with things that wouldn't really help.  Electricity, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics.  I didn't major or minor in it, so I'm guessing, but I would guess there is probably an advanced motion option for upper level work.

As far as degrees go, it is an awesome degree to get.  After a bachelor's in physics, it is about unlimited for what you can do.  If I had to go back to college, I'd get a degree in physics.  If he wanted to be a teacher, he could get a job literally anywhere.  I've only ever met one person who teaches physics who actually got their degree in physics.  About 90% of science teachers have degrees in Biology, 9.9% have degrees in chemistry, and .1% have degrees in physics.  I made up those numbers, but I bet they aren't that far off.  If you show up for an interview for a physics teaching job with a physics degree, you probably wouldn't even need to interview.

Majoring in science is definitely doable.  I majored in chemistry and played baseball in college.  We started games at the beginning of February, so for the first 2 months of the season, we would leave Thursday afternoon, and usually get home between 2 and 6 Monday morning from trips to Alabama and Texas.  Then class at 8 Monday morning.  That was while taking 3 lab classes one year (Bio, Chem, & Phys).  It is definitely a lot of work, but it is doable.  The study table hours basically make you get your stuff done.  We had to do 4 or 6 hours a week depending on grades.  Sign in, sign out when you leave, couldn't count more than 2 hours at a time so you had to spend at least 2 separate days in the library.  I don't know how IU basketball does it, but there are a ton of resources available for athletes.  My grades were better when I played baseball than they were when I wasn't playing because it made me put in more time working and studying.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

That's it. I can't follow you anymore. I tried to avoid Swain Hall as much as possible. L104 and I believe C105 (early Chemistry) taught me enough to know my brain doesn't work in that world. Hahaha...

And to your subsequent points. All spot on. So many positions with a physics degree. It's not so much the facts/information retained/regurgitated,etc.....it's how a brain works and problem solves. AI, Legal....endless options besides just the visual of staring at a lab like most think. 

Kudos to Trey.....but seriously. We need a commit kid. 

I see it all the time in my classes.  Some kids brains work that way, and some just don't.  If you have the brain for it, there aren't many better majors out there.

I want Kaufman to commit even more now that I know he is interested in physics!

Some football board people might know it, but last summer I emailed Dr. Rhea, and he sent me a ton of data from football workouts.  How much power players generated on different lifts, the amount of work they did, velocities.  All kinds of things.  We were going to get into it this year in my classes, but this spring obviously got a little crazy.  If you know sports and physics, some of those guys who use advanced data and instruments for strength and conditioning really have it figured out.  Ballou/Rhea were each making around $400k.  Wellman I think is around $700k.  If a career in basketball doesn't work, or after it is over, that could be a really good job for him.

7 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Yeah and Romeo wants to be an engineer.  Why would any basketball player with NBA aspirations want to major in physics?  That requires countless hours in the library in addition to all the athletic requirements.   It's just not feasible. 

You have to know Trey. Trust me when I say it would be feasible for him. 

6 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Might be but he's going be extremely busy.   College is supposed to be the best 4 years of your life.  I doubt he has any free time.

Some people are just naturally gifted. I had plenty of friends that took harder courses than me/ double majored and spent less time opening their textbooks to accomplish it.

Not to mention, Trey can always go the Cody Zeller route and finish his degree at a later time if he leaves school for the NBA early.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Might be but he's going be extremely busy.   College is supposed to be the best 4 years of your life.  I doubt he has any free time.

Do you think every program goes the UNC route and have their athletes take fake classes.  Why is it so hard for you to understand that there are actually athletes out there that care about academics as much as they do athletics.  Not all athletes just think about getting to the NBA as fast as possible and don't care about what classes they take.  It is not like Trey is a top 10 player who is definitely going to be a one and done player and who is a sure fire NBA player.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

They may not be the majority, but some kids would consider acing a Physics test to be a 'better' time than getting smashed at a frat party.  

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Do you think every program goes the UNC route and have their athletes take fake classes.  Why is it so hard for you to understand that there are actually athletes out there that care about academics as much as they do athletics.  Not all athletes just think about getting to the NBA as fast as possible and don't care about what classes they take.  It is not like Trey is a top 10 player who is definitely going to be a one and done player and who is a sure fire NBA player.

+1

Trey could be one of those people where solving complicated problems IS fun... not everyone is into partying ;)!  Maybe we have an Urschel on our hands https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Urschel

If he is interested in theoretical physics, then doing repetitive things, like shooting free throws, is a great way to relax the brain and solve hard math problems. Labs would of course be more difficult to double dip on the time... but even then, you need to have things that "de"-focus the brain so that new ideas can emerge. Basketball could be perfect for that.

Honestly, if he is really good at physics... there are things more important than basketball in this world. 

12 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

BS.

772974795327b4f4775aacfe76838b19.jpg

Just because you were more interested in partying over other stuff does not mean everyone thinks that way.  Remember Isaiah saying this about Landon Turner you can be an athlete and a student or you can have fun but you can't do both.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just because you were more interested in partying over other stuff does not mean everyone thinks that way.  Remember Isaiah saying this about Landon Turner you can be an athlete and a student or you can have fun but you can't do both.

I will disagree 100%. My best friend finished #1 in his class, was part of the Army Engineer corp at Purdue, served 3 terms in Iraq, received 2 degrees from Purdue and was a chemical engineer and now a VP of a large company in Florida and that guy partied more than anyone but knew that his priorities had to be school and he was able to do both and did both extremely well. I know he was not an athlete but many of our IU guys hung out and partied with us a lot and most if not all graduated and did pretty well on the court. 

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

I will disagree 100%. My best friend finished #1 in his class, was part of the Army Engineer corp at Purdue, served 3 terms in Iraq, received 2 degrees from Purdue and was a chemical engineer and now a VP of a large company in Florida and that guy partied more than anyone but knew that his priorities had to be school and he was able to do both and did both extremely well. I know he was not an athlete but many of our IU guys hung out and partied with us a lot and most if not all graduated and did pretty well on the court. 

I got that quote from IT on the BTN show about the 81 team.  He said Turner was more interested in partying than he was about the team.  IT told him that you can't be a student athlete and be partying as well and still be your best.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I got that quote from IT on the BTN show about the 81 team.  He said Turner was more interested in partying than he was about the team.  IT told him that you can't be a student athlete and be partying as well and still be your best.

I agree and for most its probably true but we have had lots of top tier athletes come through our school that knew how to party. He was not called Tommy Covercharge for no reason

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree you can do both.  But, some people choose not to be party animals.  And if a student or student-athlete chooses not to do those things, then they can still enjoy the college experience.  

Just now, 5fouls said:

I agree you can do both.  But, some people choose not to be party animals.  And if a student or student-athlete chooses not to do those things, then they can still enjoy the college experience.  

Very true. One of them live in my house. Partying was not for him but really enjoyed college and baseball. 

Archived