Seven days until kickoff !!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, hoosiertildeath said:

Ball State Will be the opponent ! The Cardinals had Nine players transfer , including starting Quarterback Riley Neal and starting running back James Gilbert and 3 other starters  ! Huge losses to replace !  IU should win big on this one !!! Hoosiers beat the Cardinals 38-10 last season !! Go Hoosiers !!!!!!

Chirp chirp!

I told myself not to do this...I told myself this year I’ll be different...lower expectations..enjoy a couple wins...don’t get my hopes up,..but damn it I’m excited again! Maybe, just maybe, this is the year we knock off a big boy. Bowl game is doable. We’re due to kick Purdue’s rear end. And if we could FINALLY beat Ohio st or Michigan I’d give Tom Allen a lifetime contract. 

On 5/7/2019 at 8:34 PM, hoosier8760 said:

I told myself not to do this...I told myself this year I’ll be different...lower expectations..enjoy a couple wins...don’t get my hopes up,..but damn it I’m excited again! Maybe, just maybe, this is the year we knock off a big boy. Bowl game is doable. We’re due to kick Purdue’s rear end. And if we could FINALLY beat Ohio st or Michigan I’d give Tom Allen a lifetime contract. 

I understand the sad nature of this statement,  but I am much more optimistic that the football team will be in a bowl game than the basketball team will make the NCAA tournament. 

I have predicted 5-7 the past 2 years and unfortunately I was right.   I think 6-6 very doable, with 7-5 not out of the realm of possibility. 

We will be 3-0 in the nonconference and Rutger at home should be a win.

OSU will be extremely talented,  but with a first year head coach in week 3.  At home.  Not predicting a win, but not a 100% guarantee loss either.   Maryland is also breaking in a first year coach.  I think no matter how good a coach is, there is always a learning curve going from coordinator to HC for the first time. 

PU should be solid this year,  very talented at WR.  Big questions at LB, OL, and QB.  Jones and Knox at RB weren't game breaking guys, but they ran really hard and kept their offense ahead of the chains.  It's a big difference having 2nd and 10 or 12 instead of 2nd and 6 or 7.

4 hours ago, Andy06 said:

I understand the sad nature of this statement,  but I am much more optimistic that the football team will be in a bowl game than the basketball team will make the NCAA tournament. 

I have predicted 5-7 the past 2 years and unfortunately I was right.   I think 6-6 very doable, with 7-5 not out of the realm of possibility. 

We will be 3-0 in the nonconference and Rutger at home should be a win.

OSU will be extremely talented,  but with a first year head coach in week 3.  At home.  Not predicting a win, but not a 100% guarantee loss either.   Maryland is also breaking in a first year coach.  I think no matter how good a coach is, there is always a learning curve going from coordinator to HC for the first time. 

PU should be solid this year,  very talented at WR.  Big questions at LB, OL, and QB.  Jones and Knox at RB weren't game breaking guys, but they ran really hard and kept their offense ahead of the chains.  It's a big difference having 2nd and 10 or 12 instead of 2nd and 6 or 7.

Big questions at LB? That’ll be our best position group on defense. We return all starters and add a 5th year grad transfer from WKU (Holt’s son). The only question at QB is Sindelar’s health. He got us to a bowl game 2 years ago on a torn ACL. The biggest question marks are DL, OL, and RB. 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Big questions at LB? That’ll be our best position group on defense. We return all starters and add a 5th year grad transfer from WKU (Holt’s son). The only question at QB is Sindelar’s health. He got us to a bowl game 2 years ago on a torn ACL. The biggest question marks are DL, OL, and RB. 

I read an article that said there were only 3 LBs on the roster that had played in a game.  The Holt transfer made 4.  If that article was correct that would be a major depth concern.  If that article is incorrect then I am wrong and withdraw that part of my comment. 

1 hour ago, Andy06 said:

I read an article that said there were only 3 LBs on the roster that had played in a game.  The Holt transfer made 4.  If that article was correct that would be a major depth concern.  If that article is incorrect then I am wrong and withdraw that part of my comment. 

Markus Bailey

Ben Holt

Jaylan Alexander

Cornel Jones

Derrick Barnes

Jack Smith

10 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I wouldn't have guessed that RB would be such a big uncertainty for you guys, even losing Knox.  

Having read this where do you stand as of now on their depth and potential for a smooth transition at starting RB?

It's generally not possible for me time-wise to stay updated on IU, and also get around to keeping up with other B1G teams until closer to the season. So just curious.

15 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

I wouldn't have guessed that RB would be such a big uncertainty for you guys, even losing Knox.  

Having read this where do you stand as of now on their depth and potential for a smooth transition at starting RB?

Here's their depth chart at RB:

-screen to Moore

-slant to Moore

-warm body

-2 yard pop to Moore

:coffee:

17 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

It's generally not possible for me time-wise to stay updated on IU, and also get around to keeping up with other B1G teams until closer to the season. So just curious.

Well we lose two seniors in Knox and Markell Jones. The returning upperclassmen have both battled injuries in Richie Worship and Tario Fuller. My gusss is at least one if not both of the freshmen RB (King Doerue/Dajoun Hewitt see legit playing time this year. Zander Horvath could play some too but he’s a walk-on so we shall see. 

With Brohm’s offense, the running back will probably never be featured. I’m sure he’d prefer one who is a threat to catch the ball but as long as they’re serviceable, they’ll be in good shape. It’ll be the Rondale show for 2 more years haha. 

On 5/10/2019 at 11:35 PM, Stlboiler23 said:

Well we lose two seniors in Knox and Markell Jones. The returning upperclassmen have both battled injuries in Richie Worship and Tario Fuller. My gusss is at least one if not both of the freshmen RB (King Doerue/Dajoun Hewitt see legit playing time this year. Zander Horvath could play some too but he’s a walk-on so we shall see. 

With Brohm’s offense, the running back will probably never be featured. I’m sure he’d prefer one who is a threat to catch the ball but as long as they’re serviceable, they’ll be in good shape. It’ll be the Rondale show for 2 more years haha. 

I didn't realize Jones had already exhausted his eligibility, nor was I aware of the situation with returnees coming off injuries.

I was aware of the quality Freshmen, and had thought Jones would at least be the answer until the younger guys settled in. Jones departing along with Knox makes it RB much more obvious position of concern/need. 

Thanks for the explanation!

Moore certainly takes pressure off and I agree he is the show as long as he is there.... no matter how well the rising and inbound  backs do, especially in a Brohm offense.

However considering this,  there appears to be a lot riding on Sindelar's health? 

48 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

I didn't realize Jones had already exhausted his eligibility, nor was I aware of the situation with returnees coming off injuries.

I was aware of the quality Freshmen, and had thought Jones would at least be the answer until the younger guys settled in. Jones departing along with Knox makes it RB much more obvious position of concern/need. 

Thanks for the explanation!

Moore certainly takes pressure off and I agree he is the show as long as he is there.... no matter how well the rising and inbound  backs do, especially in a Brohm offense.

However considering this,  there appears to be a lot riding on Sindelar's health? 

No question re Sindelar. He has the ability just have to stay healthy. After him, it’d be someone who has no game action with wouldn’t be ideal. 

4 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

No question re Sindelar. He has the ability just have to stay healthy. After him, it’d be someone who has no game action with wouldn’t be ideal. 

Not that I endorse this thread turning into a Purdue discussion, but why don’t you guys just take Brandon Peters?  There’s no evidence he can be a Power 5 starter, but maybe he can be a backup.  

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bob said:

Has anyone heard how Michael Penix is progressing with his knee. 

I don't think there's been any new information lately on him. Originally the goal was to have him 100% by June 1st, and they said a few times he was ahead of schedule, so I would guess he is pretty much ready to go. 

Some kickoff times announced. Not happy about the Noon kickoff for Ball St and Ohio St....and the more I think about it we'll see how well attended a Noon Saturday of Labor Day Weekend game will be. Wish they could have played that one on Friday night. 

Close

D71AF2cXUAAu5io.jpg:large

Archived