Seven days until kickoff !!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Which games will be wins in your opinion?

I think if we go 7-5 it would be the 3 non conference games, Rutgers, Maryland, and 2 of MSU, Nebraska, Northwestern, and Purdue. Outside shots against Michigan and PSU.

At this point, I would give us about a 30-40% chance in each of the 4 games we'd need to win 2 of, but if the offense can really improve like we hope, they could be closer to toss up games.

I can't wait to see how we play this season.  There were so many times last year that the defense looked like they were beat down by our own offense.  The Purdue game was a perfect example.  The defense got a 4th down stop at the 10, then the offense had a quick 3 and out and ran terrible plays.  There was a 4 yard run, a sack, and a 2 yard pass on 3rd and 9.  It seemed like the air went out of the team.  We punted, and the next play was a 56 yard TD pass.

I know I heard in one of his interviews that DeBoer talked about understanding the situation and momentum and trying to avoid losing momentum with a quick 3 and out after a big defensive stop.  Losing momentum from crappy calls happened multiple times under the previous regime.

We're still a relatively young team, so I don't know about a won/loss prediction.  I heard Allen say a few days ago we only have 22 juniors and seniors.  12 in one class, 10 in the other.  I don't remember which was which, but we'll have a lot of young talent out there.  I love what we're doing, and could easily see us breakthrough this year, but definitely by next year I see us winning more games.  He also said Ballou and Rhea were offered a job by the Miami Dolphins and our athletic department opened the checkbook to keep them here.  I really think we're close to taking off.

8 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I can't wait to see how we play this season.  There were so many times last year that the defense looked like they were beat down by our own offense.  The Purdue game was a perfect example.  The defense got a 4th down stop at the 10, then the offense had a quick 3 and out and ran terrible plays.  There was a 4 yard run, a sack, and a 2 yard pass on 3rd and 9.  It seemed like the air went out of the team.  We punted, and the next play was a 56 yard TD pass.

I know I heard in one of his interviews that DeBoer talked about understanding the situation and momentum and trying to avoid losing momentum with a quick 3 and out after a big defensive stop.  Losing momentum from crappy calls happened multiple times under the previous regime.

We're still a relatively young team, so I don't know about a won/loss prediction.  I heard Allen say a few days ago we only have 22 juniors and seniors.  12 in one class, 10 in the other.  I don't remember which was which, but we'll have a lot of young talent out there.  I love what we're doing, and could easily see us breakthrough this year, but definitely by next year I see us winning more games.  He also said Ballou and Rhea were offered a job by the Miami Dolphins and our athletic department opened the checkbook to keep them here.  I really think we're close to taking off.

I agree we are young class wise but lot of our juniors an sophomores have the game experience older players! This makes us a very exciting team coming into this year! I feel the key is our QB. If it’s Ramsey he needs to really improve his deep throws. Must be a lot more accurate with those throws. Throw people open. Get them the ball where they can do something with it. I may regret this but I am hoping one of the other QB take over. 

11 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I agree I’ve heard some people talk crap about Allen being in over his head and I don’t understand it. I think he has done a terrific job and I love the new OC hire. IU football is recruiting and developing better than it ever has. 

3 hours ago, Bob said:

I agree we are young class wise but lot of our juniors an sophomores have the game experience older players! This makes us a very exciting team coming into this year! I feel the key is our QB. If it’s Ramsey he needs to really improve his deep throws. Must be a lot more accurate with those throws. Throw people open. Get them the ball where they can do something with it. I may regret this but I am hoping one of the other QB take over. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Ramsey begins the season as the starter, but I think Penix or Tuttle will take over before long.  I just think Allen respects Ramsey too much to make a change during the offseason.  I think he's going to make Ramsey get beat out which I think will happen in a game or two.  It also allows Penix to come off the bench and get back in the swing of things after his injury, and Tuttle to finally see a college game without the pressure of starting.  Hopefully people won't be upset if Allen names Ramsey the starter for the first game.

Having said that, I think if Penix or Tuttle is the game 1 starter, they must have really blown away the staff which would be a great sign.

44 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

I agree I’ve heard some people talk crap about Allen being in over his head and I don’t understand it. I think he has done a terrific job and I love the new OC hire. IU football is recruiting and developing better than it ever has. 

I think people use the fact that he was a high school coach not that long ago against him.  He had great success as a DC, and teams were likely going to try to lure him away to be DC if we didn't name him head coach, but people don't care about that.  I also think his LEO mantra isn't something that people get.  It isn't something that you hear about very often in big time athletics.  A lot of people still think the Bob Knight disciplinarian style is the only way to coach.  You can get just as much, and sometimes more out of guys if you show a true care for them.  People aren't used to coaches being like that, so I think some people view it as a weakness.

I like sitting back and waiting for us to take off, and then being able to see them eat their crow.  I have all the confidence in the world about where Allen is leading the program.  I don't know all the history of IU football, but I would think this has to be the best staff we've ever had.  Excellent (potentially great) OC hire, amazing strength coaches who an NFL team tried to hire away, an up and coming DC who is the son of a long time, well respected defensive coach, and a RB coach who was a Broyles award nominee.  I like Heard, Sheridan, and some of the others too.  I actually look forward to our coaches moving on.  It means we have success, and I have a lot of confidence that Allen will make a great replacement hire.

On 6/5/2019 at 12:20 AM, Leathernecks said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Ramsey begins the season as the starter, but I think Penix or Tuttle will take over before long.  I just think Allen respects Ramsey too much to make a change during the offseason.  I think he's going to make Ramsey get beat out which I think will happen in a game or two.  It also allows Penix to come off the bench and get back in the swing of things after his injury, and Tuttle to finally see a college game without the pressure of starting.  Hopefully people won't be upset if Allen names Ramsey the starter for the first game.

Having said that, I think if Penix or Tuttle is the game 1 starter, they must have really blown away the staff which would be a great sign.

Just a fan observation after watching Ramsey miss 20+ yard throws time and time again last year. If Penix or Tuttle isn't the starter I'll admit I'll be neutral to pessimistic in terms of next year. How many times can a coach run a guy out there who can't make the deeper throws in today's version of college football? Good way to get a coach fired. 

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Just a fan observation after watching Ramsey miss 20+ yard throws time and time again last year. If Penix or Tuttle isn't the starter I'll admit I'll be neutral to pessimistic in terms of next year. How many times can a coach run a guy out there who can't make the deeper throws in today's version of college football? Good way to get a coach fired. 

If he is the starter for the OSU game, I'll probably have issue with it, but I don't mind if he starts the first two games.  I would guess all 3 of them will get plenty of snaps in those first games, so listing someone as a starter will likely be in name only.

I could be wrong, but it just seems like an Allen move.  Give the returner the starting job for a couple games we should blow the opponent out, just to show Ramsey he has his back, and to show the team he values hard work and sticks up for his guys.  I think Allen doesn't want to take away a starting gig from a guy who by all accounts works his butt off in the offseason until he has "had a chance" in games.

Overall though, I totally agree about Ramsey.  His arm just won't get it done at the level we need.  We need somebody who can hit deep throws more often and get it to receivers quicker to allow time to make plays.  I think Allen knows that too, so I can't imagine Ramsey will be long term starter this year.  I think if Penix didn't get hurt last year, he might have taken over during the PSU game and not looked back.

7 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

If he is the starter for the OSU game, I'll probably have issue with it, but I don't mind if he starts the first two games.  I would guess all 3 of them will get plenty of snaps in those first games, so listing someone as a starter will likely be in name only.

I could be wrong, but it just seems like an Allen move.  Give the returner the starting job for a couple games we should blow the opponent out, just to show Ramsey he has his back, and to show the team he values hard work and sticks up for his guys.  I think Allen doesn't want to take away a starting gig from a guy who by all accounts works his butt off in the offseason until he has "had a chance" in games.

Overall though, I totally agree about Ramsey.  His arm just won't get it done at the level we need.  We need somebody who can hit deep throws more often and get it to receivers quicker to allow time to make plays.  I think Allen knows that too, so I can't imagine Ramsey will be long term starter this year.  I think if Penix didn't get hurt last year, he might have taken over during the PSU game and not looked back.

Just my two cents. If i can see how many missed throws Ramsey makes the other players can too. I think Allen owes it to the other guys/team to win early and often and play the players who give the team the best chance to get W's right away. Our season will be determined by what we do out of the gates vs Ball St, Eastern, UConn, Rutgers, Maryland...hate to say it but those 5 are must win. After that we have to find 1 more or it's 5-7 again for Tom

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Just my two cents. If i can see how many missed throws Ramsey makes the other players can too. I think Allen owes it to the other guys/team to win early and often and play the players who give the team the best chance to get W's right away. Our season will be determined by what we do out of the gates vs Ball St, Eastern, UConn, Rutgers, Maryland...hate to say it but those 5 are must win. After that we have to find 1 more or it's 5-7 again for Tom

Absolutely.....let's get to 6 first.

42 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just noticed something. We play Michigan at home on Nov 23rd. IU Fall Calendar says Thanksgiving Break is Nov 24-Dec 1st....am I correct to assume that most students will head for the hills on 22nd (Friday)? 

I would say so, especially if they are from out of state.

1 hour ago, Bob said:

I was reading an article today that says IU biggest problem is going to be its offensive and defensive line. What’s everyone’s opinion on that .

I think the offensive line will be a positive surprise. I think Debord's predictable play calling and Ramsey's lack of downfield passing really put a lot of stress on the OL. Ramsey's internal clock seemed to tick a little fast too, and I thought he left the pocket too early some times which led to holds and sacks.

I think with Deboer and hopefully Penix or Tuttle, that predictability will be cut way down. Deboer has always had a really solid OL, so I see them being a surprise.

For the DL, I'm really not sure. We don't have anybody who stands out as an anchor on the line. We have some decent depth, but a lot of our talented guys are pretty young. I think we have a good defensive backfield which could give them a little more time to rush the passer, but I'm not sure how we'll hold up against the run. If Juan Harris can come in and be a stopper, that would be a massive help. Besides him, we need one of the younger guys to step up and turn into a playmaker. If that happens, it could be decent, but if not I could see it being a little below what we'd like.

In terms of vision for the roster, plus ambition and audacity for recruiting higher ranked talent, Allen is the best we’ve had since early Mallory.  Wilson brought this out to some level but Allen has extended that and is on another level. Our talent has been better for several years now but the next step is talent with depth and that’s coming along.  We are recruiting higher ranked guys and in higher numbers. But the other dimension frankly is in development. Wisconsin made a living recruiting big guys and building them up into top linemen. Whether we can pull that off is unproven at the moment.  I like the numbers and talent level but you’d like high level depth everywhere and that’s definitely a better situation now.  

DeBoer seems terrific. Landing him may be a game changer.  

We may have two assistants who end up power 5 head coaches in DeBoer and Hart. 

I am a little more wait-and-see with our young DC, Wommack.  Allen should be heavily involved there anyway and there are a lot of impact athletes over there.

I missed the point about Ballou and Rhea being offered by the NFL team (Miami). I am happy we paid up for them but that says a lot that they are coveted by the big boys.  

I think we are on a good track but I don’t know what to expect if we run a freshman quarterback out there.  I agree on Ramsey’s ceiling particularly with him losing accuracy throwing downfield. But if you switch in Penix or Tuttle we will have to see about a young qb.

I am hoping for s breakthrough now but if we can get to 6-6, maybe the breakthrough is in 2020. 

Archived