Seven days until kickoff !!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really excited to see what our new OC brings, especially situational play calling. Gotta convert on 3rd down and in the red zone. We need the points, but also gotta give our D a blow with sustained drives.  A balanced offense can be productive and help control the clock.

Loved the point that article made about explosive plays don't have to be 60 yard bombs. Keeping the D off balance can lead to big plays with misdirection and mismatches.  With our running back stable,  I hope to see more big runs, which should slow the qb pressure as well.

1 hour ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Really excited to see what our new OC brings, especially situational play calling. Gotta convert on 3rd down and in the red zone. We need the points, but also gotta give our D a blow with sustained drives.  A balanced offense can be productive and help control the clock.

Loved the point that article made about explosive plays don't have to be 60 yard bombs. Keeping the D off balance can lead to big plays with misdirection and mismatches.  With our running back stable,  I hope to see more big runs, which should slow the qb pressure as well.

I know at first some people were concerned because they didn't see much difference between the system DeBoer runs and what DeBord ran.  I really don't mind that because 3rd downs and red zone are massive upgrades.  DeBord's system could move the ball, but bogged down when it mattered due to not being too predictable.  With our new OC, I have confidence that we'll excel in those categories.  His play calling appears to be miles ahead of what we had the last two years.  It really shows up in red zone TD% and 3rd down %.  His desire to push the ball down the field more should help too.

Last year at Fresno State, they were 19th in red zone scoring percentage.  That counts TD and FG.  I can't find red zone TD% anywhere, but I ran some numbers on my own.

Fresno State - 71.9%

Indiana - 56.8%

Ohio State - 62.9%

Michigan - 59.6%

Oklahoma - 66.2%

Alabama - 55.7%

Clemson - 62.7%

Notre Dame - 61.5%

Perhaps a better indicator of success would be 3rd down conversion percentage.  It seems like the top teams in football are towards the top in 3rd down percentage.  I still have nightmares of dump offs on 3rd and long.  I think it might take years of therapy to get over them.

Fresno State - 44.6% (25th)

Indiana - 42.4% (39th)

Ohio State - 46.6 (17th)

Michigan - 48.6 (9th)

Oklahoma - 50.7% (4th)

Alabama - 52.1% (3rd)

Clemson - 46% (20th)

Notre Dame - 43% (32nd)

3 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I know at first some people were concerned because they didn't see much difference between the system DeBoer runs and what DeBord ran.  I really don't mind that because 3rd downs and red zone are massive upgrades.  DeBord's system could move the ball, but bogged down when it mattered due to not being too predictable.  With our new OC, I have confidence that we'll excel in those categories.  His play calling appears to be miles ahead of what we had the last two years.  It really shows up in red zone TD% and 3rd down %.  His desire to push the ball down the field more should help too.

Last year at Fresno State, they were 19th in red zone scoring percentage.  That counts TD and FG.  I can't find red zone TD% anywhere, but I ran some numbers on my own.

Fresno State - 71.9%

Indiana - 56.8%

Ohio State - 62.9%

Michigan - 59.6%

Oklahoma - 66.2%

Alabama - 55.7%

Clemson - 62.7%

Notre Dame - 61.5%

Perhaps a better indicator of success would be 3rd down conversion percentage.  It seems like the top teams in football are towards the top in 3rd down percentage.  I still have nightmares of dump offs on 3rd and long.  I think it might take years of therapy to get over them.

Fresno State - 44.6% (25th)

Indiana - 42.4% (39th)

Ohio State - 46.6 (17th)

Michigan - 48.6 (9th)

Oklahoma - 50.7% (4th)

Alabama - 52.1% (3rd)

Clemson - 46% (20th)

Notre Dame - 43% (32nd)

Wow!  Thank you for the research. Your point is well taken.  There is a big difference between putting up stats, and scoring points. Sometimes they go together, sometimes not. 

A good example was Ramsay being the leading returning passer. One reason for that is graduation/draft. Another is injuries/splitting reps.  Does this mean he's the best quarterback now in the B1G? Not so sure about that. Bare minimum though, he becomes a helluva backup. Just hope increased stats lead to increased wins.

5 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Wow!  Thank you for the research. Your point is well taken.  There is a big difference between putting up stats, and scoring points. Sometimes they go together, sometimes not. 

A good example was Ramsay being the leading returning passer. One reason for that is graduation/draft. Another is injuries/splitting reps.  Does this mean he's the best quarterback now in the B1G? Not so sure about that. Bare minimum though, he becomes a helluva backup. Just hope increased stats lead to increased wins.

I enjoy doing research like that, so if you ever want to see more numbers, just let me know.

I would be kind of interested if Ramsey would be better as a starter in DeBoer's system, but I hope we never get to figure that out.  Like you said, he would be a great backup.  Especially if he's needed in the middle of a game.  Let's say Penix is starting against Maryland, and gets hurt in the 3rd quarter when we have a 10 point lead.  I have a ton of faith that Ramsey could come in, run the offense efficiently, and lead us to victory.  Tuttle would be more of a wild card and would worry me a little.  Same scenario but down by 10, I don't have much faith in Ramsey, and would rather have Tuttle try to lead us back into it.

I'm really excited about the possibility of Penix or Tuttle leading the offense.  Penix has great arm talent along with good athleticism.  Tuttle appears to be in the same boat.  If one of them runs away with the starting job, we could be in for a great year.  Penix appeared to be catching up or taking over Ramsey last year before he got hurt, so that coupled with a new OC could lead to significantly increased stats from our QBs which will hopefully lead to at least 1 more win.

Naming Westbrook is going 1/3 at best, to me.     

Hale and Philyor are right there too. My logic is they(any of IU's recent - as well as this current WR  corps)  could be even more dangerous both individually and collectively when combined. 

IF combined is more like it though considering recent misfortune of the recurring missed season to injury by some would be  rising star going back to J-Shun Harrris.

approaching Just a reminder this mindset is still too common. 

https://www.offtackleempire.com/2019/7/13/20691192/indiana-hoosiers-2019-schedule-preview-lucys-football-9windiana-impossible-dream-history-against-us

IT IS Good to see word of positive chatter escaping the confines of discussion by only the most die  hard circles of IUFB fans. Any press addressing any form of remotely approaching the fringe of "mainstream enough to shoot down"  higher expectations existing are an outward notice of some form of perceptual progress within itself . 

16 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

Naming Westbrook is going 1/3 at best, to me.     

Hale and Philyor are right there too. My logic is they(any of IU's recent - as well as this current WR  corps)  could be even more dangerous both individually and collectively when combined. 

IF combined is more like it though considering recent misfortune of the recurring missed season to injury by some would be  rising star going back to J-Shun Harrris.

Fryfogle has looked good too.  Probably just a tier below the other 3, but he will get a lot of time and could step in if one of the other 3 gets hurt.

15 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

approaching Just a reminder this mindset is still too common. 

https://www.offtackleempire.com/2019/7/13/20691192/indiana-hoosiers-2019-schedule-preview-lucys-football-9windiana-impossible-dream-history-against-us

IT IS Good to see word of positive chatter escaping the confines of discussion by only the most die  hard circles of IUFB fans. Any press addressing any form of remotely approaching the fringe of "mainstream enough to shoot down"  higher expectations existing are an outward notice of some form of perceptual progress within itself . 

At least there are some places out there that are optimistic.  I don't know if I'm optimistic enough for 9 wins, but I think it is a good sign that there is at least talk about it.  Until we actually do turn the corner though, every positive is going to be shot down with negatives.  I'm really hopeful that before long, there will be articles about winning 9 games back up by other people saying the same thing.  I think it could be close!

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

At least there are some places out there that are optimistic.  I don't know if I'm optimistic enough for 9 wins, but I think it is a good sign that there is at least talk about it.  Until we actually do turn the corner though, every positive is going to be shot down with negatives.  I'm really hopeful that before long, there will be articles about winning 9 games back up by other people saying the same thing.  I think it could be close!

I couldn’t agree more. Every time I try to have a serious conversation that I believe IU is a up an coming program ! That I believe they could actually make a bowl game this next year. All I get from my Purdue friends is IU will never be good it’s IU . It really get under my skin! 

2 hours ago, Bob said:

I couldn’t agree more. Every time I try to have a serious conversation that I believe IU is a up an coming program ! That I believe they could actually make a bowl game this next year. All I get from my Purdue friends is IU will never be good it’s IU . It really get under my skin! 

I would remind your friends they play in the jv division. Granted they have bragging rights over us the last couple years,  but they weren't competitive for awhile. Not sure I would be strutting for barely being bowl eligible. 

2 hours ago, Bob said:

I feel ya Bob!  I really think IU is being built on a solid foundation.  It definitely wasn't a start over, but the foundation was rebuilt.  I think this is set up for sustained success, and not just a couple years.  I wouldn't worry too much about Purdue fans.  They're not worth the energy to deal with.

6 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I feel ya Bob!  I really think IU is being built on a solid foundation.  It definitely wasn't a start over, but the foundation was rebuilt.  I think this is set up for sustained success, and not just a couple years.  I wouldn't worry too much about Purdue fans.  They're not worth the energy to deal with.

Big Fan of Allen and ready for a big year! 

1 hour ago, Hoosierinbham said:

I would remind your friends they play in the jv division. Granted they have bragging rights over us the last couple years,  but they weren't competitive for awhile. Not sure I would be strutting for barely being bowl eligible. 

Can’t speak for his friends but idk if strutting would be the term I’d use. I think most Purdue fans are just excited/surprised that after the worst 4 year stretch in our history, we made back to back bowl games and embarrassed Ohio State on national television. Normally, barely making two bowl games isn’t a huge deal but after how bad things had gotten, it was beyond impressive.  I don’t think even think the most optimistic Purdue fans would’ve predicted that. You go from a time when we were at our worst to having a program that the national media is talking about (in a positive light finally) and our coach is being sought after by multiple programs. It’s been such a quick turnaround that most didn’t expect. 

25 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Can’t speak for his friends but idk if strutting would be the term I’d use. I think most Purdue fans are just excited/surprised that after the worst 4 year stretch in our history, we made back to back bowl games and embarrassed Ohio State on national television. Normally, barely making two bowl games isn’t a huge deal but after how bad things had gotten, it was beyond impressive.  I don’t think even think the most optimistic Purdue fans would’ve predicted that. You go from a time when we were at our worst to having a program that the national media is talking about (in a positive light finally) and our coach is being sought after by multiple programs. It’s been such a quick turnaround that most didn’t expect. 

Your statement is very reasonable and accurate.  Nothing wrong with being proud of your team, especially after struggling for years.  Some people take it a step further in a rivalry.  If they talk smack about a barely bowl eligible team in the West, you better be ready to get it back.  Just hope we get over the hump to do a little celebrating ourselves!

3 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Your statement is very reasonable and accurate.  Nothing wrong with being proud of your team, especially after struggling for years.  Some people take it a step further in a rivalry.  If they talk smack about a barely bowl eligible team in the West, you better be ready to get it back.  Just hope we get over the hump to do a little celebrating ourselves!

Completely fair!

4 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

It has nothing to do with him being right or wrong.  I don't disagree with a lot of what he posts.  It's the when that I have a problem with.

This. Marching over to point out our flaws after a loss, or emphasizing the deficiencies of a new IU commitment and why Purdue didn't want them won't win you many friends. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierinbham said:

This. Marching over to point out our flaws after a loss, or emphasizing the deficiencies of a new IU commitment and why Purdue didn't want them won't win you many friends. 

Agreed.  Obviously everyone here would trade Purdue's last 2 seasons for IU's last 2 seasons.  Bowl game vs no bowl game.  No comparison.  Even if we won't admit it, we're probably all a little jealous of the way the last 2 years have played out.  I am just over hearing about it.  I'd rather come here and read about religion and politics than read about how great Purdue is.

Archived