Seven days until kickoff !!

7 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Think it’ll be better than last year? Crawford is a pretty big loss. 

I really liked Crawford, and really appreciate all he did for IU football, but he kind of plateaued.  I think he was a guy who was very close to his ceiling when he got here.  His freshman numbers were better than his senior numbers.

I think the guys we have coming back will be able to replace him, and maybe even improve on things.  I love what Fitzgerald, Burgess, and Matthews were able to do last year as freshman.  I think with a year of experience behind them, they will be a great group.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

I really liked Crawford, and really appreciate all he did for IU football, but he kind of plateaued.  I think he was a guy who was very close to his ceiling when he got here.  His freshman numbers were better than his senior numbers.

I think the guys we have coming back will be able to replace him, and maybe even improve on things.  I love what Fitzgerald, Burgess, and Matthews were able to do last year as freshman.  I think with a year of experience behind them, they will be a great group.

Makes sense. What do you think of your overall defense this year versus a year ago?

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

Makes sense. What do you think of your overall defense this year versus a year ago?

It should be a lot better.  I don't think we'll be like we had a few years ago, but we should be much better.  We really only lost Crawford and DE Nile Sykes who had 26 tackles and 3 sacks.  We have a lot of young DL who should step up and take over that production, and maybe more.  I'm hopeful James Head can turn into a big pass rusher this year.  We return basically everybody else from last year's defense.

I think having Wommack as DC will help too.  He uses the same scheme as Allen, so there shouldn't be much drop off in scheme, but a full time DC should clean some things up.

If I were to take a guess, I would put us in the 30-40 range in S&P+ on defense.  Better than last year, but not as good as the year before.  Next year I'm hopeful we'll move back into the top 25 like Allen's first year as DC and first year as head coach.

Quick question for those who either live, drive or been there recently. What's our good old friend SR 37 looking like these days? Both directions if someone knows. I live in Indy but stay at Eagle Pointe for games. So was curious if construction is over or still same thing? Thanks!!

1 hour ago, Dr. Jones said:

Currently down to a single lane in Martinsville.  Smooth sailing south of there.  Typical traffic North of there with  the stop lights.

Thanks. I read somewhere they were doing pavement work or whatever South of Bloomington on 37 headed towards Lake Monroe.  Was just curious.

Quotes from day 10 of practice.

I didn't even realize Nate Snyder was a person on the team, but Allen seemed really complimentary about him for kickoffs.  Said he had good hang time and distance.  Here's an article about him from the spring.  Allen didn't seem nearly as excited about Smolar, so hopefully Snyder will be able to improve on our kickoffs from last year.  I posted in another thread about how we were 118th out of 129 teams in kickoff defense last year.  Only 23 touchbacks in 64 kickoffs.  If Snyder can get that number closer to 35 or 40 touchbacks, that would be a massive help for the special teams.

58 minutes ago, KDB said:

Thanks for posting that.  I needed some comedy for my afternoon!

He kept talking about how he couldn't find anything positive from yesterday's practice, but he didn't say one specific negative about it.  Really all he talked about was the 3 man race at QB being bad for us, but we've known for months that we'd have a 3 man race for the QB job.

Here is really his only quote about anything he actually saw yesterday.  "The defense looked good, but it should given the uncertainty at quarterback and a great familiarity of IU’s offensive schemes."

It seemed like most of the things I read this whole month have been really complimentary of the team and atmosphere.  DeBoer even said yesterday he put the offense at a disadvantage because they needed to run plays that were in our playbook that wouldn't work well against our defensive scheme.

This had the feeling of an article written by somebody searching for clicks.

18 hours ago, Bob said:

What do they know!

Thank you!!! I like the way you think, Bob! 

I hope it is mere weeks until we are all collectively looking back to that smooth transition into Allen's tenure as a true sign of something new. Worst case we will be used to the end result right :D 

https://www.clickondetroit.com/all-about-ann-arbor/sports/michigan-football-how-dangerous-are-this-seasons-five-road-games#/questions

SOMEbody appears to be taking IU seriously, at least! Another sign of progress …..

8 hours ago, Bob said:

Since we are entering the last two weeks of practice. I would think a decision on QB would be coming. I would give the stating QB the extra reps. We need to hit the field running solid offense. 

I would guess tomorrow's scrimmage might shed a little light on it.  They might start scaling up the reps for the #1 QB.

8 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Pretty cool video today.  I know this happens a lot around college football, but it is still enjoyable to watch.

First thing I saw this morning. Very cool for the kid, his family and teammates. Moments like this are always cool.....and confirm that most of the kids see the huge value in receiving a scholarship.

On 8/16/2019 at 8:25 PM, milehiiu said:

FYI's

Game.  August 31.

Opponent.  Ball State.

Venue.  Lucas Oil Stadium.  Indianapolis, Indiana.

TIckets.  $40 to $ 70.

Time.  Noon.

TV.  CBSSN.

For those that don’t mind  400 level corner or end zone seats.....

Ticketmaster has $30 tickets available (displayed as $20 tickets but turn into $30 once their absurd fees are added in).

Archived