Remember When

This thread is somewhat depressing given the current state of IU basketball...it is nice walking down memory lane but I wish we could live in the present more.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t4fIOwWPW9c

If we are going to take a trip down memory lane though, this is one of the most satisfying games I can remember watching as a middle schooler.  I am 40 and these guys are still what I measure the program against.  We had been thoroughly beaten by this same team earlier in the year but totally dismantled them in this game.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I post this basically every time this sort of thread comes up, not going to change now!

1. There is nothing -- nothing -- like your school winning the NC when you're a student at IU. 1987, junior year, Smart hits The Shot, watching the game at the Student Union, hit the streets with hundreds/quickly thousands, can't even see the ground, the fish from showwalter fountain carried over our heads:

Image result for showalter fountain 1987

I'm in there somewhere!

2. The Wat Shot. Driving back from my oldest's soccer game, he played then for the Houston Dynamo Academy, had just scored 5 goals, tying the record for most goals scored ever in a league game with the Dynamo, listening to the game in the car, going crazy with that crazy yelling announcement as Wat hits it. Doesn't get better than that. One of my favorite days ever.

11 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

The Wat Shot. Driving back from my oldest's soccer game, he played then for the Houston Dynamo Academy, had just scored 5 goals, tying the record for most goals scored ever in a league game with the Dynamo, listening to the game in the car, going crazy with that crazy yelling announcement as Wat hits it. Doesn't get better than that. One of my favorite days ever.

I've got a story behind that day too.  That Saturday was my oldest son's (who was then about 6 months old) first pictures with Santa.  I spent that day at the Fayette Mall in Lexington.  Sporting an IU shirt, of course.  We left right around the time the game tipped off.  I didn't look at my phone or listen on the radio.  Saved it for that evening.  Get back home, finally around 8-9PM, wife and son both go to sleep, so I pull it up on the DVR.  When the shot goes in, I'm in the middle of a mid-air fist pump when I remember "Oh, $&#*, everyone's asleep!".  So I am silently jumping around my living room, with both of my dogs sitting on the couch looking at me like "Yep, he's finally snapped this time."

55 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I post this basically every time this sort of thread comes up, not going to change now!

1. There is nothing -- nothing -- like your school winning the NC when you're a student at IU. 1987, junior year, Smart hits The Shot, watching the game at the Student Union, hit the streets with hundreds/quickly thousands, can't even see the ground, the fish from showwalter fountain carried over our heads:

Image result for showalter fountain 1987

I'm in there somewhere!

2. The Wat Shot. Driving back from my oldest's soccer game, he played then for the Houston Dynamo Academy, had just scored 5 goals, tying the record for most goals scored ever in a league game with the Dynamo, listening to the game in the car, going crazy with that crazy yelling announcement as Wat hits it. Doesn't get better than that. One of my favorite days ever.

PURE GOOSEBUMPS every time i see and hear that call.

34 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I've got a story behind that day too.  That Saturday was my oldest son's (who was then about 6 months old) first pictures with Santa.  I spent that day at the Fayette Mall in Lexington.  Sporting an IU shirt, of course.  We left right around the time the game tipped off.  I didn't look at my phone or listen on the radio.  Saved it for that evening.  Get back home, finally around 8-9PM, wife and son both go to sleep, so I pull it up on the DVR.  When the shot goes in, I'm in the middle of a mid-air fist pump when I remember "Oh, $&#*, everyone's asleep!".  So I am silently jumping around my living room, with both of my dogs sitting on the couch looking at me like "Yep, he's finally snapped this time."

I was coaching high school basketball at the time and my oldest son was a 7th grader. My daughter had several of her basketball teammates over and I had several of my players over and we watched the game. about 20 of us packed in our living room and when the shot went in i jumped and one of the players ended up in my arms and he and I went crashing into the TV and knocking all kinds of stuff on the entertainment center. My son and his best friend went running through the neighborhood with their shirts off (why no idea but they had a blast). Things in our living room were broken that day from all the pure joy and fandom.  What a great memory. For the next few hours none of us could come back down to earth. 

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I was not born yet when the Van Arsdales or Bellamy or Jon McGlocklin, et al., were rolling but I love hearing about them from people who saw them.

I met Walt Bellamy in 1974 at the Lake James basketball camp (Bledsoe's Beach).  I was a lifeguard, he was the marquee name who came in for a day.  Great guy.  We had burgers and shakes for lunch, just the two of us hanging out, talking hoops at a table by ourselves.  It was a different era.

The man could play.  21,000 points 14,000 rebounds in his NBA career.

It was before my time, but in the late 50's to mid 60's, Bledsoe's Beach was the place to go.  Hot rods, live dance bands in the amphitheater, guys and girls checking each other out, hoping for something.  Just like a movie.  Thousands of people on a Saturday night, all summer long.  

It was later torn down, and replaced by condos.

card00510_fr.jpg

5 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

My story of watching that game is almost identical, except for the dogs part. I had two kids at the time (3 & 1) so couldn't watch the game during the day. Avoided my phone and social media all day and finally was able to watch at night after everyone went to bed. Exact same things, I went ballistic when the shot went down, but within seconds remembered I had to celebrate quietly. 

4 hours ago, Madison22 said:

I met Walt Bellamy in 1974 at the Lake James basketball camp (Bledsoe's Beach).  I was a lifeguard, he was the marquee name who came in for a day.  Great guy.  We had burgers and shakes for lunch, just the two of us hanging out, talking hoops at a table by ourselves.  It was a different era.

The man could play.  21,000 points 14,000 rebounds in his NBA career.

It was before my time, but in the late 50's to mid 60's, Bledsoe's Beach was the place to go.  Hot rods, live dance bands in the amphitheater, guys and girls checking each other out, hoping for something.  Just like a movie.  Thousands of people on a Saturday night, all summer long.  

It was later torn down, and replaced by condos.

card00510_fr.jpg

My aunt and uncle had a cottage on Lake James. Spent a lot of time there but never had a chance to ski up the ski jumps. I now live just a few miles from Bledsoe’s. There is a group of people who are trying to bring back Bledsoe’s in some form. Still in the planning stages now 

14 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

That was my senior year, he started to go up for that shot and around me went something like this:  "Oh...no, no, no...YES!!!!!   Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!"

I am with you. I was working at Colorado Steakhouse and half the restaurant was in bar area watching. I felt sorry for some of my customers when IU was in a close game refills just had to wait

21 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Was Kendallville the home town of Brad Miller

Yep. My friend (the bride) was next door neighbors to his parents. Even after Brad a $100M contract Mom/Dad still lived in the same 1200 (max) square foot old home. The funny part about it was her parents actually won the lottery back in the day but the only thing they spent $ on was PBR and Kool smokes. 

21 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. My friend (the bride) was next door neighbors to his parents. Even after Brad a $100M contract Mom/Dad still lived in the same 1200 (max) square foot old home. The funny part about it was her parents actually won the lottery back in the day but the only thing they spent $ on was PBR and Kool smokes. 

Well at least it wasn't spent on Schlitz malt liquor and Pyramids. That would have been wasting it.

On 5/8/2019 at 6:06 AM, IUCrazy2 said:

This thread is somewhat depressing given the current state of IU basketball...it is nice walking down memory lane but I wish we could live in the present more.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t4fIOwWPW9c

If we are going to take a trip down memory lane though, this is one of the most satisfying games I can remember watching as a middle schooler.  I am 40 and these guys are still what I measure the program against.  We had been thoroughly beaten by this same team earlier in the year but totally dismantled them in this game.

I streamed this game myself a couple weeks ago. It ranks in my top 5 favorite IU games. In rewatching it, it was great to see how tough they were. UCLA starts getting chippy and IU responds with more toughness. Also, it is a reminder of how deep the team was and how many players on that team were from Indiana.

Archived