General State of Recruiting Thread

1 hour ago, Rev_AK said:

I really think what has happened was that the staff counted on “the kid from Fort Wayne who is not a Blackmon.” I think the staff really expected him to join this class. We have good kids coming in, and maybe the toxicity will die down a little. if only because it’s the off season.

I think they did too. I think he was coming before a certain coach hypnotized daddy and sold him a line of BS. That being said, IU has three very good players joining the team, so barring some unexpected late moves in the grad transfer department, my team is on the floor.

Separate random observation...it appears "lost 12 of 13 games" is the new "couldn't solve the Syracuse zone". We ought to make a drinking game out of that.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

We once again failed to address the big issue...no shooters.  We need 3-4 of them.

Devonte Green, Al Durham (before the finger injury), Jerome Hunter and Armaan Franklin say hello.

We also have Big Shot Rob Phinisee and Damezi Anderson who could develope consistent strokes. Between those six, I'll bet 3-4 shooters emerge. It's not like the cupboard is bare. Romeo and the entire senior class shot poorly from distance skewing the team statistics.  Those shooters are gone. IU will be better from distance. That I am confident of.

14 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Devonte Green, Al Durham (before the finger injury), Jerome Hunter and Armaan Franklin say hello.

We also have Big Shot Rob Phinisee and Damezi Anderson who could develope consistent strokes. Between those six, I'll bet 3-4 shooters emerge. It's not like the cupboard is bare. Romeo and the entire senior class shot poorly from distance skewing the team statistics.  Those shooters are gone. IU will be better from distance. That I am confident of.

The other thing to keep in mind is this...you have all these guys who aren’t BAD shooters but haven’t developed that skill enough to be known AS shooters. Then this whole off season every one of them have to understand that whichever 3-4 emerge has most improved in that area are going to seize the majority of the minutes. If that isn’t enough motivation for them to be in the gym like MAD, then they’re not gonna pan out eventually as players anyway. One thing, there’s ONE thing this group needs to be focused on the most in the off season to help themselves and the team...SHOOT!!! Get more shots in then ever before in your life and you will be rewarded. The motivation has to be there...

17 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

We see this kind of talk  before every season. Last year was no different. I tend to live in reality and Archie is going to have to have the coaching year of his life to get 20 wins imo. We have ok talent but nothing great. Even if Anderson's shot improves if his defense does not he won't play.

1 hour ago, Rev_AK said:

I guess it’s time to wrap up the ‘19 class and hold the scholarships. Having two extra can’t necessarily be all that bad a thing, right? If the season that shall no longer be named had such an adverse effect on recruiting, then maybe a better season will have better effects. I truly think next year will be better. We can only hope.It already hurts to have my most realistic expectations to be 20 wins and a 7 seed, but that’s where we are. I am trying to be even keeled, no sunshine pumping, but also no sky is falling. I really think what has happened was that the staff counted on “the kid from Fort Wayne who is not a Blackmon.” I think the staff really expected him to join this class. We have good kids coming in, and maybe the toxicity will die down a little. if only because it’s the off season.

Go get two grad transfers with one year eligibility if for no reason then insurance with injures and or depth and practice players. Heck for practice alone. Remember if you lack enough players and a few go down you struggle to practice well.

go get two and use the ships this season on them even if they don’t help on the court. Then use those next season and since the class in state isn’t all that great get out there somewhere and find one stud and one guy to develop with those two.

On 5/8/2019 at 11:55 PM, Long Duk Dong said:

Yeah, the resume is pretty mediocre. Don't get me wrong, I like CAM but my goodness, how many shots does Glass think he's going to get? He had a chance to move on from someone who he didn't hire and was a terrible coach and this was the best he could do?

Minnesota could have made that hire.

I get the feeling glass was told Archie is the hot new thing and he just went with it. 

1 minute ago, Bedford1432 said:

We see this kind of talk  before every season. Last year was no different. I tend to live in reality and Archie is going to have to have the coaching year of his life to get 20 wins imo. We have ok talent but nothing great. Even if Anderson's shot improves if his defense does not he won't play.

If day your assessment would be fair ASSUMING, no one really improves this off season. I stated in another post if 3-4 average shooters take steps that could shore up shooting enough to not let it be a giant hole in our team.

then it comes down to chemistry and it’s THERE that I have m my concerns. If the above happens and chemistry isn’t fixed you’re right we will suck AGAIN. And if chemistry issues are an issue two years in a row 90% of that blame right or wrong will be on the coach for either not fixing it in the off season OR not getting rid of the bad kids.

1 hour ago, Rev_AK said:

I guess it’s time to wrap up the ‘19 class and hold the scholarships. Having two extra can’t necessarily be all that bad a thing, right? If the season that shall no longer be named had such an adverse effect on recruiting, then maybe a better season will have better effects. I truly think next year will be better. We can only hope.It already hurts to have my most realistic expectations to be 20 wins and a 7 seed, but that’s where we are. I am trying to be even keeled, no sunshine pumping, but also no sky is falling. I really think what has happened was that the staff counted on “the kid from Fort Wayne who is not a Blackmon.” I think the staff really expected him to join this class. We have good kids coming in, and maybe the toxicity will die down a little. if only because it’s the off season.

I would think (hope) CAM learned a lesson about recruiting after dealing with Ketchup ,hes not at Dayton anymore, although IU is not the draw it has been in the past,it certainly still battles the big boys for recruits  ...moving forward i hope he keeps this in the back of his mind.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

We once again failed to address the big issue...no shooters.  We need 3-4 of them.

Franklin is a pretty good shooter and if Hunter is healthy he is a very good shooter.  Also I guess the current players can't get better like RP and AL so we might as well just give up basketball at IU since the sky is falling.

34 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

The other thing to keep in mind is this...you have all these guys who aren’t BAD shooters but haven’t developed that skill enough to be known AS shooters. Then this whole off season every one of them have to understand that whichever 3-4 emerge has most improved in that area are going to seize the majority of the minutes. If that isn’t enough motivation for them to be in the gym like MAD, then they’re not gonna pan out eventually as players anyway. One thing, there’s ONE thing this group needs to be focused on the most in the off season to help themselves and the team...SHOOT!!! Get more shots in then ever before in your life and you will be rewarded. The motivation has to be there...

Can't score if you don't shoot.  Stop passing the ball around and put it in the hole. 

I'm sure Archie would love that.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Franklin is a pretty good shooter and if Hunter is healthy he is a very good shooter.  Also I guess the current players can't get better like RP and AL so we might as well just give up basketball at IU since the sky is falling.

Given hunter is a total wildcard bringing in a shooter would have been ideal. Franklin is a freshman so who knows what to expect. Shooting is still a big question mark imo.

32 minutes ago, Bedford1432 said:

I get the feeling glass was told Archie is the hot new thing and he just went with it. 

Dude Archie was considered by he national media as the top young coaching candidates in the country and was rated the top hire of the year when IU hired him.

Just now, Bedford1432 said:

Given hunter is a total wildcard bringing in a shooter would have been ideal. Franklin is a freshman so who knows what to expect. Shooting is still a big question mark imo.

In my limited opinion Hunter was worth 4-5 wins this year....if he is A) is as good as advertised and B) can shoot from the outside as advertised. If Hunter can hit we might really have something next year with him, RP, DG as well as TJD, Davis, Brunk, Smith....we'll see I guess. Hunter is such a wildcard. 

22 minutes ago, Bedford1432 said:

I actually think we could be better... IMO a healthy hunter who is a better shooter than Romeo will be better than an injured Romeo... TJD could develop to be just as good as Juwan and think about this Juwan had to play out of position and got into foul trouble a lot which hurt us during our losing streak and battling back to try to get into the tournament plus we didn’t have depth at his position so he is played tired which also contributed to him and Romeo not playing to their potential... Davis will be a year removed from his Achilles injury and anyone who has had an Achilles injury knows it takes over a year to fully recover and that’s why he also had small minor injuries because he over compensated for his Achilles injury. Now with bringing in Brunk we have 3 players who can play down low and that will in turn help Davis. Fitzner was supposed to help Davis and Juwan but quickly it was known he couldn’t hang down there that won’t be the case with Brunk... Durham will be healthy and recovered from his dislocated finger which hurt his shooting stroke when he was actually starting to develop a really good shot... Damezi will gain confidence and now has a year under his belt... Race also can play down low and will finally be recovered from his injuries and he will now have two years learning the system and an offseason to recover from his injuries he should be able to contribute right away and think about this he came a year early so he’s still very young and he would’ve been a top 100 recruit coming in last year. This team has the potential to be wayyyy better than last year even though we aren’t getting a top 5 player in the nation we are getting depth which is IMO gives us the better chance of being really good

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Dude Archie was considered by he national media as the top young coaching candidates in the country and was rated the top hire of the year when IU hired him.

I have a friend who coaches at UNF and came from Baylor and he texted me when Archie Got hired and said what a great hire it was and he’s legit and we hit a home run...

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

In my limited opinion Hunter was worth 4-5 wins this year....if he is A) is as good as advertised and B) can shoot from the outside as advertised. If Hunter can hit we might really have something next year with him, RP, DG as well as TJD, Davis, Brunk, Smith....we'll see I guess. Hunter is such a wildcard. 

I’d say chemistry was worth 8-10 more wins. When we played TOGETHER we could play with almost teams. But we rarely did.

11 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I have a friend who coaches at UNF and came from Baylor and he texted me when Archie Got hired and said what a great hire it was and he’s legit and we hit a home run...

Hear a lot of people say that but some of the most negative people on here won't see it tat way because it does not meet their agenda.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Hear a lot of people say that but some of the most negative people on here won't see it tat way because it does not meet their agenda.

Just because people thought Archie was the next big thing while he was at Dayton doesn't mean he is.  A lot of people thought Alford was the next big thing at one point.  As was Billy Gillespie.  You could go on and on.  Year 3 will be very revealing.

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They also say Scott Drew from Baylor is dirty and I can personally tell you that wasn’t the case as of a couple of years ago because trust me when I say I would’ve heard about it... his top assistant who is now head coach at UNF doesn’t even allow you to cuss which is absolutely unheard of.

39 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Just because people thought Archie was the next big thing while he was at Dayton doesn't mean he is.  A lot of people thought Alford was the next big thing at one point.  As was Billy Gillespie.  You could go on and on.  Year 3 will be very revealing.

Indeed.

59 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

We will see this year if he was a home run or not. He has his players now so we will soon find out.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

What we have is hopefully guys who can hit a shot, however, there is definitely not a shooter amongst those guys.  Potential  yes but what is distinguishable between hopes and promises.  Next season is hinging on about 7 hopes and one very important promise... defense.

52 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

That’s true. No doubt. But there’s also plenty of examples where coaches were in a situation that didn’t allow them to succeed and they went elsewhere and proved it wasn’t THEM, as much as other variables. Barnes comes to mind as a recent example...

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Just responding to Bedford who made it sound like the reason Glass hired Archie was that he was the only won who thought he was the next great coach.  Just saying that everyone thought that and t wasn't just Glass winging it.

Archived