General State of Recruiting Thread

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Archie Miller is a good coach.  It remains to be seen if the fanbase is patient enough to let him prove it.  I think the AD is and that's what really matters anyway.

I’d agree with you ultimately but if he loses the fans overall (and he hasn’t yet at all) it’ll make recruiting even harder.

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

I’d agree with you ultimately but if he loses the fans overall (and he hasn’t yet at all) it’ll make recruiting even harder.

Yes it will.  I shouldn't speak in absolutes like that (pet peeve of mine), but I am very confident that he's the right coach even after two tough years.  I see what he's trying to do defensively and recruiting-wise and I think once he focuses in on the remaining question (offense), he's going to put together a beast of a program that will be a thorn for a lot of other programs.  IU lost a couple of guys that weren't really seeing the floor and even if Miller rides into the season with two open scholarships (I suspect he'll add at least one more grad transfer), IU will see another year of improvement.  Hopefully that's enough to keep the rational majority satisfied.

2 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

They also say Scott Drew from Baylor is dirty and I can personally tell you that wasn’t the case as of a couple of years ago because trust me when I say I would’ve heard about it... his top assistant who is now head coach at UNF doesn’t even allow you to cuss which is absolutely unheard of.

Having a pious appearance doesn't mean that one is clean. See Bakker, Jim or Swaggert, Jimmy.

Contrarily, it doesn't mean he isn't either. But just because someone chooses not to use certain words doesn't mean they're above slipping bribes.

Also, it's interesting that those rumors about Drew have largely died off. Again, doesn't mean something did or didn't happen, but he's been out of that conversation lately.

55 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

He's lost or is losing some.  He's about exactly where Tom Crean was after year 3.  Let's all hope TJD is the next Cody and there's another Watshot this season.

7 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Having a pious appearance doesn't mean that one is clean. See Bakker, Jim or Swaggert, Jimmy.

Contrarily, it doesn't mean he isn't either. But just because someone chooses not to use certain words doesn't mean they're above slipping bribes.

Also, it's interesting that those rumors about Drew have largely died off. Again, doesn't mean something did or didn't happen, but he's been out of that conversation lately.

Ohhh I totally agree with your statements I just know the conversations I’ve had with my friend and I trust that Baylor wasn’t dirty.

4 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

He's lost or is losing some.  He's about exactly where Tom Crean was after year 3.  Let's all hope TJD is the next Cody and there's another Watshot this season.

Ok if I’m gonna assume he’s either lost you or darn close I have to ask this of someone like you. Not picking a fight I’m actually curious...

i was NOT initially happy with the Crean hire. Being from Wisconsin I knew what we were getting. All flash no substance and ALL of the things that led to his demise at iU were easily predictable from his years at Marquette. I mean SO easy. He will be exactly the same at georgia but I digress...

I had to just accept he was here and couldn’t change it and hoped for the best.

i wasn’t “thrilled” with the Archie hire (hoped for better) but if we went with an up and comer then I was at least happier than Crean by far. I’d easily take archie’s Upside over Crean’s any day. My point is this, I have never viewed them even close to the same. I have so many reasons to believe that at a minimum Archie’s basketball mind is WAY better than tom’s.

what is your perception of at least that fact and if you do believe he knows the game way better why do you think he’s not gonna cut it long term? Why is he going to end up failing in your mind?

8 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

IMO, he's losing the lunatic fringe at most.  Archie knows defense and defense wins championships. He'll get there before rational fans give up. I'd bet on it.

10 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Ohhh I totally agree with your statements I just know the conversations I’ve had with my friend and I trust that Baylor wasn’t dirty.

Well, I'm pretty sure that at a minimum, he had a dirty assistant (the one who threatened a recruit's mother with deportation).

22 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

It all depends on this season. I think most are waiting to see how this year goes. Alot of fans will likely lose interest if it goes poorly. We shall see.

6 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

We once again failed to address the big issue...no shooters.  We need 3-4 of them.

You realize Franklin was 39% from 3 his senior year (max preps website stats). I’d say that’s a shooter. Then you develop the guys on the roster. 

To the peddlers of negativity, worry and doubt won't offer much.  (Other than to say I told you so if it doesn't work out with CAM).  Why bash those who hang their hat on hope? 

With the 1 win in 13 games disaster, I understand the concern.  However, do not let that concern wash away the 18-4 record outside of that slide.

If you like, you can quote me, pin this post, bookmark it, whatever you like, IU makes the tournament this coming season.  It's not my expectation, it's just the road I see.  Year one was a brick wall with some encouraging signs.  Year two was the foundation laid with defense.  Year three, I think we will all see.  Sure, you could see me as saying this is a 'told-you-so' sort of post doing the same thing I mentioned above. My whole point is we can hang on to hope or we can hang on to worry and doubt.  Faith and Hope are my choice.  Besides, I still remember those 2 from high school....

I think what most of us that are saying when people say, "we need shooters," means an assassin.  And all of us are hoping the guys develop and improve or the unknowns shoot as good or better than they did in high school, which rarely ever happens.   

Grab a grad transfer that is a willing defender and can stroke it.  Easier said than done, just like Demezi' s switch going on.   

23 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I think what most of us that are saying when people say, "we need shooters," means an assassin.  And all of us are hoping the guys develop and improve or the unknowns shoot as good or better than they did in high school, which rarely ever happens.   

Grab a grad transfer that is a willing defender and can stroke it.  Easier said than done, just like Demezi' s switch going on.   

Yep like one of the guys who drops 7 threes on us in a game. That type of shooter.

43 minutes ago, Feathery said:

You realize Franklin was 39% from 3 his senior year (max preps website stats). I’d say that’s a shooter. Then you develop the guys on the roster. 

If he proves ready to play as a frosh. Anderson was a shooter and wasn't ready so who knows 

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Hunter will be and IS as good we hope he will be. 

I've said it all along......Get back a healthy Jerome and he plays and performs as previously advertised......we will be turning heads, earning much needed respect and easily making the NCAA tourney next year. 

1.  I think we can surprise people this year and get on an upswing.  Need a few things to swing our way, starting with a healthy Hunter, but it might just work out.  PhinIsee can be really good.  Green was coming on.  Brunk will be big.  Davis is getting more removed from the injury.  Race might be underrated by the fan base.  He’s a no nonsense physical presence.  TJD is going to bring some juice.  

2.  I think we end up with a solid recruiting class.  They might be more the right kind of guys rather than the supposed elite athlete type.  Hopefully, Archie is in process of getting 13 scholly guys, all with motors and competitiveness.  

1 hour ago, Bedford1432 said:

If he proves ready to play as a frosh. Anderson was a shooter and wasn't ready so who knows 

I think he will come off the bench as a freshman. He played in a better league than Damezi and shot better than Damezi from 3, according to Maxpreps stats. 

Archived