General State of Recruiting Thread

22 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Let me put it to rest for you, the idiotic, childish story of Crean clogging the toilet is complete BS. You’re better than that, don’t bring that trash here.

Davis’s recruiting failures are obvious, he didn’t and couldn’t recruit IN. He was elevated to HC because the guys on.the team, including specifically Fife, said they’d quit the team if IU didn’t hire him after the RMK termination. But it’s not IU’s normal way to hire guys to bring in a player.

And we’ll always wonder what would’ve happened if we had called the players bluff. Clearly Davis was NOT qualified to take over a major D1 program. It was an impossible task for him. However I’m also if the belief that following a legend like Knight is often best to let someone die first to lower expectations. It would’ve been pretty rough for a big name to step in after a Knight IMO. Maybe I’m wrong.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

And we’ll always wonder what would’ve happened if we had called the players bluff. Clearly Davis was NOT qualified to take over a major D1 program. It was an impossible task for him. However I’m also if the belief that following a legend like Knight is often best to let someone die first to lower expectations. It would’ve been pretty rough for a big name to step in after a Knight IMO. Maybe I’m wrong.

Fwiw don’t think it was a bluff. Those were very, very emotional times and Fife was serious. 

47 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Yet that unqualified coach got us to a championship game and not come back with it was RMK players because half of those players never played for him.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Yet that unqualified coach got us to a championship game and not come back with it was RMK players because half of those players never played for him.

Well that aside, I think in subsequent years MD proved he was no where near ready to be the head coach at a place like IU...Or even UAB for that matter

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

What’s your point? Are you saying at the time he was hired his resume showed he should be the head coach of a major D1 program? Are you saying that looking at the body of work of his career previous and after that championship game it’s more reasonable to conclude his coaching prowess got us to that game OR is it more reasonable to believe there were other factors that contributed moreso?

12 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Fwiw don’t think it was a bluff. Those were very, very emotional times and Fife was serious. 

And in one move IU basketball is where it's at today because of that particular decision. First you never give into extortion. Ever. And Secondly you never give into extortion or blackmail when kids are the ones threatening. If IU had competent leadership they would have ridden out the storm....performed a national search (job had far more pull in 2000) and off we go. Instead 19 year later here we are.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And in one move IU basketball is where it's at today because of that particular decision. First you never give into extortion. Ever. And Secondly you never give into extortion or blackmail when kids are the ones threatening. If IU had competent leadership they would have ridden out the storm....performed a national search (job had far more pull in 2000) and off we go. Instead 19 year later here we are.

They should've done what Louisville did with Padgett and immediately fired Davis after the Kent St disaster.  He never should've gotten that 2nd season but again we've had the most incompetent administration in college athletics for 20+ years.

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

The long lingering question was always centered on what coach would want to follow Knight and his ever present shadow.

7 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

The long lingering question was always centered on what coach would want to follow Knight and his ever present shadow.

A coach worth his weight would. I remember as a kid when Jimmy Johnson followed the legend Howard Schnellenberger at Miami. Howard was royalty but Jimmy said....I'm Jimmy Johnson. I'm not someone else. Rest is history. 

4 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

I'd bet good money that Duke and UNC have tons of interest once their legendary coaches retire.

Yeah, I could see that.  And I'm sure a national search, the right contract etc, likely would have produced a fairly prestigious name for IU.  But as we know, that road wasn't taken...unfortunately.  

4 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Yeah, I could see that.  And I'm sure a national search, the right contract etc, likely would have produced a fairly prestigious name for IU.  But as we know, that road wasn't taken...unfortunately.  

It would've been Alford in 2001 had we made a move then.

5 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

They should've done what Louisville did with Padgett and immediately fired Davis after the Kent St disaster.  He never should've gotten that 2nd season but again we've had the most incompetent administration in college athletics for 20+ years.

Well we should of fired crean after the Syracuse disaster then.

Just now, dbmhoosier said:

Hindsight is always 20/20.  In 2001 he would've been the only smart hire.  We'll never know how he would've done here.  

After a certain off court incident that occurred at Iowa, I wouldn't care if he was the 2nd coming of James Naismith. 

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Hindsight is always 20/20.  In 2001 he would've been the only smart hire.  We'll never know how he would've done here.  

..but we can guess.  I'm guessing 8-10 years of mediocrity and alienating most of the administration with his misplaced arrogance before the AD gave up on him.

10 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

It would've been Alford in 2001 had we made a move then.

I agree that it’s impossible to prove that hiring Steve would’ve been a mistake...and at the time I was completely convinced we missed our next Coach K, but in hindsight I believe it’s more reasonable to believe it wouldn’t have worked out.

9 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

After a certain off court incident that occurred at Iowa, I wouldn't care if he was the 2nd coming of James Naismith. 

Clarification for the confusion reaction: Pierre Pierce.  No amount of on court success justifies that. 

Archived