General State of Recruiting Thread

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Dude Archie was considered by he national media as the top young coaching candidates in the country and was rated the top hire of the year when IU hired him.

John Groce was the media’s shiny new toy when Illinois hired him....we see how that worked out.  

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Grab a grad transfer that is a willing defender and can stroke it.  Easier said than done

"Get a shooter?  Why don't I strap on a shooter helmet and squeeze down into a shooter cannon and fire off into shooter land, where shooters grow on shooties?!”

giphy.gif

10 hours ago, CTrojan88 said:

John Groce was the media’s shiny new toy when Illinois hired him....we see how that worked out.  

Groce (to me at least) was always credited with being an up and coming assistant coach when in fact the only reason he ever got anywhere was because Mike Davis didn't recruit Conley and Oden as hard as he should have. If those 2 go to IU....Groce never gets out of the MAC world. Much to our benefit our friends to the West couldn't see that.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Groce (to me at least) was always credited with being an up and coming assistant coach when in fact the only reason he ever got anywhere was because Mike Davis didn't recruit Conley and Oden as hard as he should have. If those 2 go to IU....Groce never gets out of the MAC world. Much to our benefit our friends to the West couldn't see that.

I think davis did recruit them. I recall oden visiting but Conley was not interested. I think conleys dad was a piece of work also 

15 minutes ago, Bedford1432 said:

I think davis did recruit them. I recall oden visiting but Conley was not interested. I think conleys dad was a piece of work also 

Guess I should have qualified my post more. Yes...Davis recruited them but not as hard as he should have. Conley Sr and his agent ways drove this bus straight to Columbus. Somehow Groce was credited with this recruitment for Matta when in fact it was Mike Davis' thinking he didn't have to do much to recruit them. 

51 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Guess I should have qualified my post more. Yes...Davis recruited them but not as hard as he should have. Conley Sr and his agent ways drove this bus straight to Columbus. Somehow Groce was credited with this recruitment for Matta when in fact it was Mike Davis' thinking he didn't have to do much to recruit them. 

There was also that supposed letter that Davis addressed to Sherron Collins stating that IU was not really recruiting Conley but was only pretending to do so as they wanted Oden.  That letter was mailed to the Conleys by mistake.  Oops.

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

There was also that supposed letter that Davis addressed to Sherron Collins stating that IU was not really recruiting Conley but was only pretending to do so as they wanted Oden.  That letter was mailed to the Conleys by mistake.  Oops.

Lol wow 

21 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

IMO, he's losing the lunatic fringe at most.  Archie knows defense and defense wins championships. He'll get there before rational fans give up. I'd bet on it.

The post is basing everything he reads on rivals and think that is what represents the whole fan base.

25 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Right, all these silly, inane fictitious rumors started and spread by people who think they can get people to buy into such crap 

Davis sending the letter intended for Conley to Sherron Collins was confirmed by Jason Whitlock.  Not sure if Crean really clogged the toilet but some have said it happened.

"Davis' recruitment of Indianapolis' Greg Oden -- known as the 7-foot LeBron James -- was nearly comical in its execution. Oden, an Ohio State commit, was part of a package deal. He was going to commit to the same school as his point guard teammate, Mike Conley. And Mike Conley was going to commit to the school his father, Mike Conley Sr., felt most comfortable with. Conley Sr., the Olympic triple jumper, coached the boys in AAU basketball.

For Davis, the recruitment of Oden should've been simple: Offer Conley Sr. a job on the Indiana coaching staff. Oden is that good. Oden, Conley Jr. and Conley Sr. form a better package than Danny and Ed Manning. If Conley Sr. didn't want a job, at least convince the father that his son is a critical piece to IU's future.

Instead, Davis was initially lukewarm about recruiting Conley Jr. Davis targeted Chicago point guard Sherron Collins (a Kansas commit), and someone on Davis' staff even managed to send mail intended for Collins to the Conley household.

Indiana never made it on Conley Jr.'s list of schools. Oden listed Indiana as a possibility, as a courtesy. Davis had no shot. He never developed a meaningful relationship with Conley Sr."

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=whitlock/060216

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Davis sending the letter intended for Conley to Sherron Collins was confirmed by Jason Whitlock.  Not sure if Crean really clogged the toilet but some have said it happened.

"Davis' recruitment of Indianapolis' Greg Oden -- known as the 7-foot LeBron James -- was nearly comical in its execution. Oden, an Ohio State commit, was part of a package deal. He was going to commit to the same school as his point guard teammate, Mike Conley. And Mike Conley was going to commit to the school his father, Mike Conley Sr., felt most comfortable with. Conley Sr., the Olympic triple jumper, coached the boys in AAU basketball.

For Davis, the recruitment of Oden should've been simple: Offer Conley Sr. a job on the Indiana coaching staff. Oden is that good. Oden, Conley Jr. and Conley Sr. form a better package than Danny and Ed Manning. If Conley Sr. didn't want a job, at least convince the father that his son is a critical piece to IU's future.

Instead, Davis was initially lukewarm about recruiting Conley Jr. Davis targeted Chicago point guard Sherron Collins (a Kansas commit), and someone on Davis' staff even managed to send mail intended for Collins to the Conley household.

Indiana never made it on Conley Jr.'s list of schools. Oden listed Indiana as a possibility, as a courtesy. Davis had no shot. He never developed a meaningful relationship with Conley Sr."

The Crean thing did not happen. 

3 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Let me put it to rest for you, the idiotic, childish story of Crean clogging the toilet is complete BS. You’re better than that, don’t bring that trash here.

Davis’s recruiting failures are obvious, he didn’t and couldn’t recruit IN. He was elevated to HC because the guys on.the team, including specifically Fife, said they’d quit the team if IU didn’t hire him after the RMK termination. But it’s not IU’s normal way to hire guys to bring in a player.

Archived