Are you a Big Picture or Detail

Just reading how different posters REASON their arguments about the state of IU Basketball and Recruiting, I had to almost laughingly remember a conversation I had with my boss at the time. (Side note my current boss and I are in sink and oh how wonderful that is) Back on topic😁, my former boss said 'she figured out what was different about us, 'She starts from the detail and works toward the big picture and I(me) start with the big picture and work to the detail!' I smiled and said "as long as we agree when we get to the middle we're good" she smiled too!

Just remembered both of the bosses mentioned are Auburn grads!

Just now, 5fouls said:

I start with the details and stay with the details.  There is not an ounce of Big Picture in my body.  

So when there is a tree in front of you do you finally stop studying the bark and turn around and go home?:cheers:

37 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Neither and both.

I see the world in processes. Not just what the big picture is, not just what the details are, but how things connect and interact.

That is what I would classically call open minded! Very much on the side of  Big Picture, and very much to be emulated! 

18 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Actually, it's about understanding how all the small details make the big picture.

Agree completely, but it still comes down to which direction do you come from to get there!! For me I like to explore multiple big picture scenarios and work them down to failures or possibilities, then I feel comfortable that I'm in the realm of a reasonable answer.

I would assume that working from the opposite end would also come up with reasonable answers. But what if your original premise is wrong?

3 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Agree completely, but it still comes down to which direction do you come from to get there!! For me I like to explore multiple big picture scenarios and work them down to failures or possibilities, then I feel comfortable that I'm in the realm of a reasonable answer.

Depends on the situation. Starting from scratch, I can take the big picture and divide it up into necessary steps, sub-compnents, etc. Troubleshooting an existing problem, I can take all the details needed to fix that particular process, while keeping ultimate functionality within the big picture in mind.

I never claimed to be normal...lol.

Archived