Indianapolis 500

I think I start one of these every year. Growing up my two loves in sports were IU basketball and the 500. I will be attending my 26th this year, but my first without my dad. That’s going to be rougher than Christmas for me. 

Practice starts this week. I would normally keep a tab open on my computer at work with the live video feed, but that is by subscription only now through NBC. 

I’m not real thrilled with the new wrinkles in the qualifying format. I hate the last row shootout on Sunday. 

Hopefully we see a better race this year than last. The lack of cars having the ability to pass except on restarts was terrible. 

Edited by Parakeet Jones
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I think I start one of these every year. Growing up my two loves in sports were IU basketball and the 500. I will be attending my 26th this year, but my first without my dad. That’s going to be rougher than Christmas for me. 

Practice starts this week. I would normally keep a tab open on my computer at work with the live video feed, but that is by subscription only now through NBC. 

I’m not real thrilled with the new wrinkles in the qualifying format. I hate the last row shootout on Sunday. 

Hopefully we see a better race this year than last. The lack of cars having the ability to pass except on restarts was terrible. 

Love the institution that is 16th and Georgetown. Headed out Saturday with a group. Sun will be rampant, temps in the 80's and very few sounds in sport can replicate the first time you hear those cars in front of you. I won't get into the rules part....but I will say that moving event to NBC seems to be paying off. Today Show, Tom Hanks and others will be in town week from Thursday for big event. Looking forward to all of it! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Love the institution that is 16th and Georgetown. Headed out Saturday with a group. Sun will be rampant, temps in the 80's and very few sounds in sport can replicate the first time you hear those cars in front of you. I won't get into the rules part....but I will say that moving event to NBC seems to be paying off. Today Show, Tom Hanks and others will be in town week from Thursday for big event. Looking forward to all of it! 

I think the move to NBC is great. They have done wonders for the Kentucky Derby. I expect the same for the 500. 

• Like 1

Public Enemy #1 for Indiana sports traditions isn't Myles Brand. It's Tony George. He did everything short of shotgunning a 2 quart bottle of mineral oil, climbing up to the flagstand, dropping his pants, and spraying a river of liquid $#%& as the winner crossed the line. And that would at least have provided a moment of entertainment, which is more than I can say for the 1997 or 1998 500s themselves.

I said that last year, after 22 years, finally felt like 1996. These cars look like the descendents of the 1990s. They sound like the descendants of the 1990s. There's a slew of young, talented drivers. Newgarden/Rossi is a rivalry that could rival Little Al/Michael. There's also the sub-headline of Alonso attempting to become the 2nd Triple Crown winner this year.

My pick is Newgarden. I'm pulling for Rossi. But I wouldn't discount Alonso for a second.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Public Enemy #1 for Indiana sports traditions isn't Myles Brand. It's Tony George. He did everything short of shotgunning a 2 quart bottle of mineral oil, climbing up to the flagstand, dropping his pants, and spraying a river of liquid $#%& as the winner crossed the line. And that would at least have provided a moment of entertainment, which is more than I can say for the 1997 or 1998 500s themselves.

I said that last year, after 22 years, finally felt like 1996. These cars look like the descendents of the 1990s. They sound like the descendants of the 1990s. There's a slew of young, talented drivers. Newgarden/Rossi is a rivalry that could rival Little Al/Michael. There's also the sub-headline of Alonso attempting to become the 2nd Triple Crown winner this year.

My pick is Newgarden. I'm pulling for Rossi. But I wouldn't discount Alonso for a second.

I agree 100% about Tony George. He should have been drawn and quartered for what he did in 96. 

22 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

I've never understood why Tony got the heat over his decision. Essentially (unless you know different) he started IRL so that he would find a path for American drivers to earn their way in instead of having foreign drivers buy their way in. Now it may not be the fastest 33 (and as a race fan I get that part) but it was a way to preserve the $ aspect and help grow a sport that was dying a slow death. 

In some ways what Tony did was set the platform for what Nascar used as their model and the growth it saw. Of course I defend all things Indy 500 and IMS so I'm biased.

45 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I've never understood why Tony got the heat over his decision. Essentially (unless you know different) he started IRL so that he would find a path for American drivers to earn their way in instead of having foreign drivers buy their way in. Now it may not be the fastest 33 (and as a race fan I get that part) but it was a way to preserve the $ aspect and help grow a sport that was dying a slow death. 

In some ways what Tony did was set the platform for what Nascar used as their model and the growth it saw. Of course I defend all things Indy 500 and IMS so I'm biased.

A) The sport wasn't dying in 1995. CART had several great seasons after the split, while the IRL was borderline painful to watch. The biggest blow was the tobacco advertising ban, which cut off a huge supply of money. But, that was going to happen regardless.

B) Want to know who planted the seed of the IRL in Tony's mind? Bernie Ecclestone (or for F1 fans, Satan incarnate). Now what motivation would the then owner of the premier European racing series have to influence George to focus on US drivers? The fact that Fittipaldi was thriving, Newman/Haas had just poached Mansell and Penske almost luring Senna to CART had him scared to death. CART was almost F1s equal at that point.

C) The 22/7 rule. If Prince Tony wants to set his own standard for the 500, fine. But don't try to subsidize the series by limiting the 500 field to 7 non-IRL drivers.

D) The IRL didn't start to take off until CART shot itself in the foot with their mismanagement and their attempt to conquer Europe, and Penske and Ganassi switched back in the early 00s.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

A) The sport wasn't dying in 1995. CART had several great seasons after the split, while the IRL was borderline painful to watch. The biggest blow was the tobacco advertising ban, which cut off a huge supply of money. But, that was going to happen regardless.

B) Want to know who planted the seed of the IRL in Tony's mind? Bernie Ecclestone (or for F1 fans, Satan incarnate). Now what motivation would the then owner of the premier European racing series have to influence George to focus on US drivers? The fact that Fittipaldi was thriving, Newman/Haas had just poached Mansell and Penske almost luring Senna to CART had him scared to death. CART was almost F1s equal at that point.

C) The 22/7 rule. If Prince Tony wants to set his own standard for the 500, fine. But don't try to subsidize the series by limiting the 500 field to 7 non-IRL drivers.

D) The IRL didn't start to take off until CART shot itself in the foot with their mismanagement and their attempt to conquer Europe, and Penske and Ganassi switched back in the early 00s.

For sake of conversation. You mentioned CART shooting itself in their own foot by attempting to conquer Europe. Can that possibly be why Tony did this to begin with? He saw Europe and it's drivers as a no win situation up against F1/Bernie and decided they needed to focus on building drivers up here in the States? Just a thought. 

I remember Foyt always saying the same thing. IMS and Indy 500 made him. Not a series. Penske/Ganassi realized it as well albeit after a few years away. I just always side on IMS including Tony. I know I'm probably wrong in the racing circles. 

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

For sake of conversation. You mentioned CART shooting itself in their own foot by attempting to conquer Europe. Can that possibly be why Tony did this to begin with? He saw Europe and it's drivers as a no win situation up against F1/Bernie and decided they needed to focus on building drivers up here in the States? Just a thought. 

I remember Foyt always saying the same thing. IMS and Indy 500 made him. Not a series. Penske/Ganassi realized it as well albeit after a few years away. I just always side on IMS including Tony. I know I'm probably wrong in the racing circles. 

I am no motor sports fan by any means but I follow the 500 on race day.  That being said I am thinking that in the mid to late 80's that NASCAR was really picking up steam.  ESPN had it on every Sunday(IIRC?).  I truly believe that Americans only want "oval track" racing.  Road courses are a novelty.  And this is for the sake of conversation as well.

1 hour ago, rico said:

I am no motor sports fan by any means but I follow the 500 on race day.  That being said I am thinking that in the mid to late 80's that NASCAR was really picking up steam.  ESPN had it on every Sunday(IIRC?).  I truly believe that Americans only want "oval track" racing.  Road courses are a novelty.  And this is for the sake of conversation as well.

CART was broadcast live nationally on either ABC or ESPN until 1995 or so. 

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Wasn't a factor then. The only non-North America CART event prior to the split was the season opener in Surfers Paradise, Australia, which was partially subsidized by the Aussies.  Rio didn't come until 1997-ish, and that was it until 2001 when the real attempt came.

Penske saw the forest through the trees and made the jump back before the 2002 season.  Ganassi did the same a year later, which was the turning point.  They both knew that those types of schedules weren't financially sustainable. 

2 hours ago, rico said:

I don't have full stats to back this up, but from what I've read, NASCAR and CART ratings were pretty much neck and neck through 1992-1993.  Both were still relatively niche, but one wasn't head and shoulders above the other.  The CART/IRL split helped the growth of NASCAR, by diminishing/almost eliminating the only other high level racing series in the US.  NASCAR's growth was steady to that point, but took off exponentially around 1995-1996. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rico said:

NASCAR had one thing we as most fans could identify with....the guys on the track were kids from Texas or Indiana or North Carolina. Names were Tony, Jeff, Darrell, Dale...Regional fans. A local identity that turned into a national one. Good move or not that what was part of what Tony George was trying to develop. Oh well. Enough on that one for me. 

• Like 1

Just now, Seeking6 said:

That was after NBC did away with it in the 80's often showing races on tape delay right?

Correct.  ABC/ESPN picked up the bulk of the schedule around 1986/87-ish.

One clarification: I do recall a handful of ESPN tape delay broadcasts, but there may have been maybe 4 in 5 years.  Always in their entirety, same day, and it wasn't buried as late-night filler.  Maybe 7-8PM broadcasts. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Carpenter at 228.7 in first hour of first day of practice. I won't keep adding updates but that's getting some speed early. Penske had the top 3 speeds in 1st practice in 2018 but all were 225 range. 

Power ended up at 229. I think the fastest without a tow were in the 224-225 range.  

19 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Alonso might be in some trouble today. Apparently he had a punctured tire on his run. I hope that is the only reason he was so slow. 

Crazy last 90 minutes with the attempts, qualifying, getting in, not getting in, withdrawing runs,etc....Alonso is probably shocked he's in this position. Rain in forecast starting around 11 today...not sure of how much track time anyone gets. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Crazy last 90 minutes with the attempts, qualifying, getting in, not getting in, withdrawing runs,etc....Alonso is probably shocked he's in this position. Rain in forecast starting around 11 today...not sure of how much track time anyone gets. 

If rain washes today out, they will do the last row thing tomorrow. I still think Alonso and Hinch get in. I heard an interview with Karam on the radio yesterday. He sounded spooked. I’m not sure he will make it in. 

2 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

If rain washes today out, they will do the last row thing tomorrow. I still think Alonso and Hinch get in. I heard an interview with Karam on the radio yesterday. He sounded spooked. I’m not sure he will make it in. 

Pulling for both but really pulling for Hinch....especially after last year. 

• Like 1