Indianapolis 500

On 5/27/2019 at 9:26 AM, Seeking6 said:

Anyone ever do the glamping or tiny houses for rent in infield at 500? I'm not sure I would want to do 2-3 days at the track but an overnight on Saturday and wake up inside the joint on Sunday morning would be cool.  

I've never seen the tiny house hotels before but that is an awesome setup.  A little pricey, but given that it includes 4 relatively decent race tickets....

Staying in the infield, but having running water, A/C, a hot shower and an alternative to a fiberglass crapwagon? Hell yes. 

10 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

ap-indycar-indy-500-auto-racing-10-1-e15

Ok, I like Pagenaud a little more today.  First to ever have his dog in the official winner's photo. 

Me too !  Love dogs, I do.

I guess I could google this. But I will ask Hoosier race fans instead.  How many winners can they get on the trophy, before it is filled up.

Edited by milehiiu

10 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Me too !  Love dogs, I do.

I guess I could google this. But I will ask Hoosier race fans instead.  How many winners can they get on the trophy, before it is filled up.

Infinite.  They just add an additional ring on the bottom. 

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

I've never seen the tiny house hotels before but that is an awesome setup.  A little pricey, but given that it includes 4 relatively decent race tickets....

Staying in the infield, but having running water, A/C, a hot shower and an alternative to a fiberglass crapwagon? Hell yes. 

Yep. I'm pretty frugal but this is one thing I'm going to have to do at some point. 

23 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

ap-indycar-indy-500-auto-racing-10-1-e15

Ok, I like Pagenaud a little more today.  First to ever have his dog in the official winner's photo. 

You could tell when he won how much winning met to him.  That kind of emotion is what I like to see from an Indy winner..

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Wasn't sure if we should just resurrect this thread or what. Going to be an odd, weird, strange, and sad week for Indy 500 fans/residents this week. Forecast looks absolutely chamber of commerce type all weekend. Sun/80's. Probably won't hit me until Friday (Carb Day) but especially on Sunday and I expect to shed a tear or three. Hopefully we can have race in August....I've also heard rumors of October too. 

It’s been hitting me hard this weekend since qualifying should be happening. I’ve been watching a lot of old videos on YouTube like I normally due this time of year and it’s really got me missing heading to IMS for the race next Sunday. 

It’s going to be brutally hot in August. I almost hope it gets bumped to October for the sake of the weather. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

It’s been hitting me hard this weekend since qualifying should be happening. I’ve been watching a lot of old videos on YouTube like I normally due this time of year and it’s really got me missing heading to IMS for the race next Sunday. 

It’s going to be brutally hot in August. I almost hope it gets bumped to October for the sake of the weather. 

Been watching a ton of Youtube clips myself. Great races, flyovers, prerace traditions.....going to be tough and not just the race. All the traditions and families getting together, friends coming in town,etc...

Hopefully we get to watch. I've been at plenty of May 500's where temps are every bit as hot as August. October is something I've heard as well. Just hopefully not October 4th. Colts at Bears that day (if allowed) and I have tickets. 

23 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Been watching a ton of Youtube clips myself. Great races, flyovers, prerace traditions.....going to be tough and not just the race. All the traditions and families getting together, friends coming in town,etc...

Hopefully we get to watch. I've been at plenty of May 500's where temps are every bit as hot as August. October is something I've heard as well. Just hopefully not October 4th. Colts at Bears that day (if allowed) and I have tickets. 

I know they are not the same.  But for race fans there is some light at the end of the tunnel. Will be watching Nascar today (May 17). No fans in the stands.  No practice laps... last I heard.  And only contact with a driver is when ONE crew member raises the protective screen in the driver's window.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

It would be the 3rd if it was in October. No IU football that Saturday so that would be nice. My personal nightmare would be if the 500 ended up that day and IU tried to schedule Hoosier Hysteria that day. I love the Hoosiers, but the 500 would take priority over a glorified pep rally. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

It would be the 3rd if it was in October. No IU football that Saturday so that would be nice. My personal nightmare would be if the 500 ended up that day and IU tried to schedule Hoosier Hysteria that day. I love the Hoosiers, but the 500 would take priority over a glorified pep rally. 

Safety first...but I really believe IMS/Penske and Indiana really, really want the August date. Not just in having the race and everything that it means but also could be the first BIG fan attended sporting event. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Safety first...but I really believe IMS/Penske and Indiana really, really want the August date. Not just in having the race and everything that it means but also could be the first BIG fan attended sporting event. 

HSN member. Fundamenals who once spent a weekend with me at my house.  And worked for the Hulman's at that time.  Haven't heard from Fundamentals for the longest time. Gonna look for his number, and try giving him a call next week. Hope he is doing ok. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Been out riding and walking the Monon all morning. Just feels odd with no race. I'm going to crack a cold one soon. Catch the 2pm NBC coverage and watch some old races. 

NBC is showing last year’s at 2:00. ESPN2 is showing condensed versions of 2006, 2011, and 2014 starting at 3:00. 

It has been a strange day for sure. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

IMS just announced no fans in stands for Brickyard and Indy Car race to be run 4th of July weekend. TV/Virtual only. Probably still the right move....but if there's a place on earth that can socially distance 50-75k fans better than the Speedway I'd like to know where? Disappointing but again probably right call. Just makes me a little more nervous for August 23rd 500. If they can't open it up for smaller attendance July 4th is August 23rd with 250,000 people going to be that much different? I know it's another 50 days but getting nervous for 500.

• Sad 2

58 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

IMS just announced no fans in stands for Brickyard and Indy Car race to be run 4th of July weekend. TV/Virtual only. Probably still the right move....but if there's a place on earth that can socially distance 50-75k fans better than the Speedway I'd like to know where? Disappointing but again probably right call. Just makes me a little more nervous for August 23rd 500. If they can't open it up for smaller attendance July 4th is August 23rd with 250,000 people going to be that much different? I know it's another 50 days but getting nervous for 500.

If they can’t on 8/23 I hope they postpone to 10/3 to give it a bit more time. IMS already has that date set aside for a second road course race so the schedule would work out. The weather should be better in theory too. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

If they can’t on 8/23 I hope they postpone to 10/3 to give it a bit more time. IMS already has that date set aside for a second road course race so the schedule would work out. The weather should be better in theory too. 

Yep. 10/3 has always been the backup. Glad they have contingencies for their contingencies.

I’m getting pretty nervous about the 8/23 date with the announcement that the state fair has been cancelled. The final day for the fair was to be 8/23. 

I got an email from IMS today about the announcement that no fans would be allowed to the GP or Brickyard on July 4 weekend. In it they said they still plan on the 500 going on with spectators, but like I said, today’s state fair announcement has me nervous.