Indianapolis 500

Watching the start of the race.  Been watching for decades... on tv.  Looks over cast.  Hope it does not rain.

Better than what we have been dealing with in the high country in Colorado this holiday weekend :

Boulders

Boulders Weighing 10 Million Lbs. Close Highway - CBS Denver

And avalanches

CDOT hopes to reopen avalanche-covered US 550 over Red Mountain Pass by end of month

49 minutes ago, rico said:

Watching it on Hulu.

Will be grilling steaks out on the back patio, later today.  And I have it on there on HULU.  As well as two big screens inside the house. Have I ever said that I love ROKU , and HULU ?   LOL

------------------------------

If I had a hammer, I would be pulling for Ed Carpenter.  In fact, I am !

• Like 1

On 5/12/2019 at 6:32 PM, Parakeet Jones said:

I think I start one of these every year. Growing up my two loves in sports were IU basketball and the 500. I will be attending my 26th this year, but my first without my dad. That’s going to be rougher than Christmas for me. 

Practice starts this week. I would normally keep a tab open on my computer at work with the live video feed, but that is by subscription only now through NBC. 

I’m not real thrilled with the new wrinkles in the qualifying format. I hate the last row shootout on Sunday. 

Hopefully we see a better race this year than last. The lack of cars having the ability to pass except on restarts was terrible. 

I feel for you Parakeet.  We moved to Indy in the late 70's and my dad started getting tickets in 77.  It was an annual event at our house.  At it's peak, we had 20 seats together and people from all over the country at our house for the weekend.  Over time it whittled down, and my parents moved to Atlanta, but we kept 10 tickets.  In 97 we sold all but two and we tried to go to the race together.  You already know how that ended.  Later that summer we found out our tickets had finally been upgraded, and in Dec, my dad unexpectedly passed away.  I've kept the tickets, but I've never gone back.  I've never sat in the upgraded seats.  I watch most years, but over 20 years later I still cry when  they sing "Back Home Again in Indiana"  Good for you for going without your dad.  I'm not sure I could.

18 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

My picks, in order of expected odds:

Newgarden

Rossi

Power

Dixon

And my dark horse: Helio

Why not Pagenaud? Historically, never a good oval performer.

Shows what the hell I know. Hell of a finish though. I will say this, if you want a lesson in persistence, John Menard has been fielding/sponsoring cars at Indy since the late 70s. This is the first time a Menards sponsored car has won the 500.

Stat of the day: Rossi has an average finish of 3.5 in the 500 (1,7,4,2)

• Haha 1

Rossi reminds me of Mears (and I don't make that comparison lightly). Cool headed, analytic, won't get bold until the end, but won't hesitate if the moment calls for it.

I started following him after 2016, just out of curiosity, and realized....wow, this kid can drive.

28 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Rossi reminds me of Mears (and I don't make that comparison lightly). Cool headed, analytic, won't get bold until the end, but won't hesitate if the moment calls for it.

I started following him after 2016, just out of curiosity, and realized....wow, this kid can drive.

I'm a little late to the party on him but he can drive. I'm a Stewart guy in all circuits but Rossi reminds me a little of Harvick. Can drive and has an edge to him. Different series I know but just similar. 

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm a little late to the party on him but he can drive. I'm a Stewart guy in all circuits but Rossi reminds me a little of Harvick. Can drive and has an edge to him. Different series I know but just similar. 

Driving style, fair comparison. And equal (if not legendary) success as a rookie, absolutely. Harvick is way more likely to shoot his mouth off in the media than Rossi (or 99% of the known world...lol). He's actually pretty low key. He took some criticism for not seeming excited enough in victory circle after the 500 (9_9) , but he really is just one of those cool, calculating personality types.

4 hours ago, Muddy River said:

I feel for you Parakeet.  We moved to Indy in the late 70's and my dad started getting tickets in 77.  It was an annual event at our house.  At it's peak, we had 20 seats together and people from all over the country at our house for the weekend.  Over time it whittled down, and my parents moved to Atlanta, but we kept 10 tickets.  In 97 we sold all but two and we tried to go to the race together.  You already know how that ended.  Later that summer we found out our tickets had finally been upgraded, and in Dec, my dad unexpectedly passed away.  I've kept the tickets, but I've never gone back.  I've never sat in the upgraded seats.  I watch most years, but over 20 years later I still cry when  they sing "Back Home Again in Indiana"  Good for you for going without your dad.  I'm not sure I could.

Thanks. Today had some tough moments. The singing of Back Home Again was the hardest. A couple of my really good friends came to me not long after Dad died and said they would go with me if I wanted them to until Little Keet is old enough to go. Having one of my best friends along helped. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Will be grilling steaks out on the back patio, later today.  And I have it on there on HULU.  As well as two big screens inside the house. Have I ever said that I love ROKU , and HULU ?   LOL

------------------------------

If I had a hammer, I would be pulling for Ed Carpenter.  In fact, I am !

What kind of outdoor setup do you have the TVs in? I’d love to have something like that for events like this. 

2 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

What kind of outdoor setup do you have the TVs in? I’d love to have something like that for events like this. 

Nothing special. There are tv's that are out door tv's. That are weather proof. But cost thousand's of dollars.  I just take a small tv, from my office, that has ROKU, outside, and place it on a patio table. It's light. I can bring it in when the weather gets bad, or at night.

Hope you are having a great Memorial Day Weekend, BBQ.  So glad you are a member.

By the way, the steaks were great.

• Thanks 1