Indianapolis 500

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Hoping they are wrong.  App saying 90% chance but they just said on local 50% scattered storms.  

One of the guys I follow locally said right now chances are increasing for rain Sunday but so much can change. Friday is when he'll have a better picture...but said a stalled front that will bring warmer temps/humidity could cause severe downpours on Sunday. That was the first time he mentioned this. I'm still thinking mid to late afternoon so there could be a strong likelihood of shortened race.....or one very looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong day at the track waiting it out. 

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

It looks like the rain chances don't start picking up until 2:00 on Sunday.  It might be the Indy 250 this year.  

The very first race I attended was back in the late 70's. One friend and I went down for the race with a case of beer. The race became official on lap 101, and the downpour started on lap 101. They never started racing again that day. Rutherford won, I believe.

We sat in the rain and drank most of the case before heading home.

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The very first race I attended was back in the late 70's. One friend and I went down for the race with a case of beer. The race became official on lap 101, and the downpour started on lap 101. They never started racing again that day. Rutherford won, I believe.

There were cars in the 70s? 😁

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

It was Rutherford.  He is the only driver ever to walk to victory lane.

I'll just add this to the thread. Today Show is at IMS this morning along with Tom Hanks, Sheryl Crow, Elizabeth Dole,etc....and NBC has really hit this coverage out of the park. Highlighting Indy but also the real cause of them being here today for Hidden Heroes project. Seeing all of the local coverage has been pretty cool too. Some celebrities just lend their name and move along but Tom Hanks (no shock) is really invested in this one too. He's been in town for only a couple of days but has attended roughly 6-7 pretty sizeable events raising awareness, money,etc...

Great cause, Executed very well by all involved.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2019 at 10:38 AM, Zlinedavid said:

Used to be anyway. Aside from the 500, IndyCar lost my interest after the split, and NASCAR lost my interest after instituting the *retch* Chase/Playoffs/whatever the hell they're calling it.    Although my interest in IndyCar has picked up over the last few years. 

This is me as well, although I never stopped following IndyCar and never miss the 500.  You remember that hilariously bad CART race held on the same day as the 500 where like half the field wrecked on the opening lap?😄

• Like 1

On 5/22/2019 at 8:16 AM, Zlinedavid said:

Let's hope it's more '95 Brickyard vs' 97 500.

Avoiding a repeat of the '97 500 is advisable all around, but particularly the weather.

I drove to Indy TWICE for that debacle.  Saw a total of 10 laps.  Dad took a buddy with my tickets Tuesday and they weren't even checking tickets at the gate.  He said you could sit almost anywhere.

My first memory of the track was time trials in 1969...Mario Andretti's rookie season.  Due to being 4, my memories are limited.  We had a picnic in the infield (apparently before the snakepit was a thing) and I watched cars whiz by all afternoon.  Exciting stuff even for a little kid.

39 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

My first memory of the track was time trials in 1969...Mario Andretti's rookie season.  Due to being 4, my memories are limited.  We had a picnic in the infield (apparently before the snakepit was a thing) and I watched cars whiz by all afternoon.  Exciting stuff even for a little kid.

Did you have a beer in your hand?  Just askin'.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

I drove to Indy TWICE for that debacle.  Saw a total of 10 laps.  Dad took a buddy with my tickets Tuesday and they weren't even checking tickets at the gate.  He said you could sit almost anywhere.

Yep, nearly the same story here. 

I joke that it was God's way of saying "Please don't run those bastardized abominations you're calling cars."

No real way to predict the weather this weekend. Temps/Humidity/Dew Points all up. I think we are good on Sunday until 2/3 or so. Green Flag is at 1245. Several factors with many implications but wish they could move start time up just 1 hour. Might make all the difference in the world....or just the opposite. Delay the start of race until storms pass. I think they said they could start race as late as 530 or 6 and still complete. I know weather is part of racing but I'd prefer to see all 500 miles.

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

No real way to predict the weather this weekend. Temps/Humidity/Dew Points all up. I think we are good on Sunday until 2/3 or so. Green Flag is at 1245. Several factors with many implications but wish they could move start time up just 1 hour. Might make all the difference in the world....or just the opposite. Delay the start of race until storms pass. I think they said they could start race as late as 530 or 6 and still complete. I know weather is part of racing but I'd prefer to see all 500 miles.

I love all things IMS as much as anyone, but they are way too tied to their rituals and traditions to do anything as sensible as adjusting the start time, particularly moving it up.  I get the TV contractual stuff, but my gosh, start the thing at 12:00 (and I mean drop the green flag, not start the engines) and you almost certainly can get in 101 laps by 2:00.  

9 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I love all things IMS as much as anyone, but they are way too tied to their rituals and traditions to do anything as sensible as adjusting the start time, particularly moving it up.  I get the TV contractual stuff, but my gosh, start the thing at 12:00 (and I mean drop the green flag, not start the engines) and you almost certainly can get in 101 laps by 2:00.  

Tough one because to a good portion of the fans the prerace festivities (America The Beautiful, Taps, Back Home Again in Indiana, Flyover, National Anthem) is the reason they attend and not the actual race. With that said I don't see why they couldn't bump it up 1 hour. Of course TV drives everything in the sports world and given this NBC's first go I can't imagine them agreeing  to less air time...or more specifically I can't imagine their sponsors. IndyCar needs all the TV coverage we can get. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2019 at 10:06 PM, FKIM01 said:

I had gone to every race since 1976 at that point, but my son (first child) was born on 5/2 and my wife had complications, so I had to miss that year.  I was so encouraged to know that, had I gone to the race from Colorado that year I still wouldn’t have seen the race, I would have been back at work on Tuesday anyway.  

That was the first of only three races I have missed since I was 9, but my first race was in 1973. That year the race was finally held on Wednesday and my parents came and got my brother and I from elementary school to go see the race, the gates were wide open for anyone to go.  About all I remember about that race was the piles of beer cans as tall as our house and that it was really loud.

• Like 1

My official and final race day forecast attempt. Rain all morning until 10/11am. Looks like  a 4-5 hour window after that point. I actually think the race is ran in it's entirety. Track also has a new sealant which helps in drying. Only takes 60-90 minutes instead of 2-3 hours. 

In terms of the race itself. Pagenaud has been the fastest all month. Rossi has been very fast in traffic. Hard to discount veterans who know what it takes for 500 miles. 

If I were betting I would say Power, Rossi, Carpenter, Dixon, Kanaan is my top 5. If people are in pools if you need a cheap option that seems to always finish well is the oldest driver in the field Oriol Servia.

Have a great Race Day if headed out. Be safe there and back and Happy Memorial Day!

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

My official and final race day forecast attempt. Rain all morning until 10/11am. Looks like  a 4-5 hour window after that point. I actually think the race is ran in it's entirety. Track also has a new sealant which helps in drying. Only takes 60-90 minutes instead of 2-3 hours. 

In terms of the race itself. Pagenaud has been the fastest all month. Rossi has been very fast in traffic. Hard to discount veterans who know what it takes for 500 miles. 

If I were betting I would say Power, Rossi, Carpenter, Dixon, Kanaan is my top 5. If people are in pools if you need a cheap option that seems to always finish well is the oldest driver in the field Oriol Servia.

Have a great Race Day if headed out. Be safe there and back and Happy Memorial Day!

Forecasts are looking better. I think we get it in too, but I will have one eye on the sky and one hand on a poncho at all times. 

I never pick a guy to repeat, but I can see Power getting his second in a row tomorrow.  Watching Kanaan, Hunter Reay, and Hichcliffe start from the middle to back should be fun.