Indianapolis 500

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Update for Indy. Penske says 500 will be run only with fans. 

https://racer.com/2020/06/07/penske-on-indy-500-we-will-run-it-only-with-fans/

I like Robin Miller, but he dropped the ball by not asking the follow up question, “All fans or a reduced number?”  

Edited by Parakeet Jones
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Race to be run at 50% capacity. I got an email from IMS stating I should be able to get seats close to my regular ones since I only get two. Everyone is limited to two tickets, so if you normally have a group of 20, you have to figure out which 18 folks you’re going to mess over.  

At least I will have some room to spread out for once. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Race to be run at 50% capacity. I got an email from IMS stating I should be able to get seats close to my regular ones since I only get two. Everyone is limited to two tickets, so if you normally have a group of 20, you have to figure out which 18 folks you’re going to mess over.  

At least I will have some room to spread out for once. 

I understand there to be a priority system in place. I found out tonight that we are getting 6 of our usual 8 seats. We’ve been getting tickets every year since 1969, so I think we have a high priority number. I’m not sure though, my brother takes care of the tickets for the family.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Anyone getting cancel notices on 500 tickets? Or maybe some are getting because IMS wants total control of how tickets are going to be distributed?

The only thing I’ve seen is the email I got asking if I wanted to keep two tickets for this year or apply credit toward next year. I opted to keep my two.  I lurk an INDYCAR forum and I’ve not seen any mention of that. I’m confident it would have come up there. 

Mods, would it be possible to drop “2019” from the thread title since we are using it to discuss this year’s race?  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

IMS announced earlier today 25% capacity, masks required, temp checks at gates,etc...

Probably the best way to go about. Bristol had 30k on an 1/8 mile track that seats 160k. Numbers wise it appears IMS and Roger are being cautious with roughly 80-90k being in attendance for a track and area 20x the size of Bristol. 

On 7/8/2020 at 7:54 PM, Parakeet Jones said:

Mods, would it be possible to drop “2019” from the thread title since we are using it to discuss this year’s race?  

Keet.  Since you created the thread, you should be able to do that by editing the first post.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Keet.  Since you created the thread, you should be able to do that by editing the first post.

Correct. Just hit edit on your first post.  Keet.  Scroll up to the thread title to make your edit.

Edited by milehiiu
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

My reassigned seats are two seats down from where I was. It looks like they might have cancelled the shuttle buses though. 

I'm not a season ticket holder. Usually just buy. Did they say anything in terms of how close you will or won't be to others? I know general admission is off but I'm curious if they would let people with actual seats go into the infield. I'm tempted to find a few and head to the mounds inside turn 2 if they allow. Plenty of space there!

21 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm not a season ticket holder. Usually just buy. Did they say anything in terms of how close you will or won't be to others? I know general admission is off but I'm curious if they would let people with actual seats go into the infield. I'm tempted to find a few and head to the mounds inside turn 2 if they allow. Plenty of space there!

I think you might still be able to buy GA tickets. I think they cut off the selling of grandstand tickets last Friday. I’m going to have to get a parking pass if the buses aren’t running. I dread the thought of driving to the race, but maybe with only 25% attendance it won’t be so bad. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I think you might still be able to buy GA tickets. I think they cut off the selling of grandstand tickets last Friday. I’m going to have to get a parking pass if the buses aren’t running. I dread the thought of driving to the race, but maybe with only 25% attendance it won’t be so bad. 

I'm playing things by ear as of right now. Will decide as we get closer. Starting to hear plenty talk about race day parties. My concern is that even if they limit the fans inside the track....I think you might see a "couple dozen" or so outside the track tailgating and watching. 

23 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm playing things by ear as of right now. Will decide as we get closer. Starting to hear plenty talk about race day parties. My concern is that even if they limit the fans inside the track....I think you might see a "couple dozen" or so outside the track tailgating and watching. 

I called the track today and was able to get a parking pass in the lot directly across from my seats. They said they had not updated their inventory of parking passes online yet after handling refunds on them for people not using them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I called the track today and was able to get a parking pass in the lot directly across from my seats. They said they had not updated their inventory of parking passes online yet after handling refunds on them for people not using them. 

Out of curiosity which turn or area? 

24 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I’m in the Southwest Vista in turn one. I got a parking pass in the main lot just across 16th St. I’m trying to figure out what 25% capacity traffic will be like. 

This is just my two cents of being out there for a bit....same as you. My guess is if there's going to be foot traffic it's more than likely to be in that area. Maybe halfway up the front stretch from those areas/neighborhoods....all the way back around to turn 2 with those lots along 16th across the street. Don't think you'll have much to worry about but at least you have a pass. 

With the blackout being lifted it could help (backyard cookouts,etc...people at bars) or could hurt (people tailgating across the street and watching on TV's they bring with them like what happened at Brickyard). Guess we'll find out! 

3 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Official - no fans this year. 

All things considered probably right move....but if a venue who can hold the Kentucky Derby, Vatican City, Rose Bowl, Yankee Stadium, Roman Coliseum, Wimbledon's Campus....all inside the track can't have social distance where in the f do we expect to have people this year? 

I applaud Penske. Tough call for sure. He's our steward of the track but man....

Oh well. Fire up the backyard party, listen to the race and can't wait for May next year.

• Like 1

Cars rolling out on the track as first practice is getting started. Feels weird and strange. Might have to take a ride out to the track and take a look. Probably can see between 1 and 2 and at least will be able to hear. I'm thinking Fast Friday with the extra boost might be worth a ride down.