Indianapolis 500

40 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I have been looking at the speed charts and find it very depressing.  It’s really starting to hit me that there is going to be a 500 Sunday and I won’t be there. 

Part of the deal right now. I think I'm going to head out tomorrow and just take a look. Hopefully be able to catch some video between 1 and 2 near the tunnel....or maybe walk around pass BC hotel and see if I can find some action on backstretch. I agree it's tough but make lemonade I guess. Won't mean a week from Sunday there won't be some angst, frustration, etc...

Turn on the grill. Pour the beer. Turn up the Indy Car radio guys and enjoy. That's all we can do right now!

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Part of the deal right now. I think I'm going to head out tomorrow and just take a look. Hopefully be able to catch some video between 1 and 2 near the tunnel....or maybe walk around pass BC hotel and see if I can find some action on backstretch. I agree it's tough but make lemonade I guess. Won't mean a week from Sunday there won't be some angst, frustration, etc...

Turn on the grill. Pour the beer. Turn up the Indy Car radio guys and enjoy. That's all we can do right now!

I invited a few friends over to watch. I debated watching it alone because when I get together to watch the Super Bowl with this same crew we talk so much I’m not as focused on the game. In the end I think I’d be miserable sitting there alone focused on not being there. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I invited a few friends over to watch. I debated watching it alone because when I get together to watch the Super Bowl with this same crew we talk so much I’m not as focused on the game. In the end I think I’d be miserable sitting there alone focused on not being there. 

Yep. Have you heard if they are still going to still do all the same prerace,etc....Taps, Back Home Again,etc....or are they going just drivers start your engines and go?

59 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Have you heard if they are still going to still do all the same prerace,etc....Taps, Back Home Again,etc....or are they going just drivers start your engines and go?

NBC has an 1.5 hours of pre race coverage so I’m sure they’ll try to do as much as they can of the normal stuff. I haven’t heard anything official though. 

11 hours ago, Coach1K said:

Another trickle down loss to not having the 500. Dozens and dozens of high school bands, church groups, other volunteer groups,etc....won't be getting they money they almost count on each year for cleaning up track day after race. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Great job, Marco. It would be cool to finally see an Andretti in victory lane again. 

Winds definitely played tricks with balance and setup. I'm not an Andretti guy or family for that matter but nice to see him get some good things. Now we turn to race. Weather looks like low 80's, isolated shower and low winds. Going to feel weird this week but oh well. I'm firmly in Dixon/Kanaan camp. We'll see if Chevy can find anything this week to make up the ground. 

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Winds definitely played tricks with balance and setup. I'm not an Andretti guy or family for that matter but nice to see him get some good things. Now we turn to race. Weather looks like low 80's, isolated shower and low winds. Going to feel weird this week but oh well. I'm firmly in Dixon/Kanaan camp. We'll see if Chevy can find anything this week to make up the ground. 

I think Kanaan is still good enough to get the job done.  I worry about his team though, especially with Chevy struggling this year.  I think Dixon is the man to beat. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I think Kanaan is still good enough to get the job done.  I worry about his team though, especially with Chevy struggling this year.  I think Dixon is the man to beat. 

My liking Dixon is two fold. Great driver and understands Indy. Selfishly though there's another reason. Drivers get a car to use for the month in normal times. Anyway my inlaws bought his Acura SUV from him years ago. Only had 290 miles on it but was about $20k less than normal sticker price. Always thought it was a cool story and ingenious way to get a nice car on the cheap. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I liked Mario well enough, but I never warmed up to Michael.  Marco seems to be a little bit of an after-thought.

It wasn't until near the end of Michael's career that I went from dislike to like on him.  Marco has had so much pressure on him due to his last name that' I"d like to see him get one.  

What’s everyone doing for the race?

I don’t go regularly so not much change for me. I get the grill going early (ish) and watch the prerace and start. Then I keep the race on and bounce between watching the race, the grill, and whatever else needs done in the yard. 

9 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

What’s everyone doing for the race?

I don’t go regularly so not much change for me. I get the grill going early (ish) and watch the prerace and start. Then I keep the race on and bounce between watching the race, the grill, and whatever else needs done in the yard. 

I can't decide yet. There's a couple cookouts/race parties we have invites for but not sure if headed that way. Definitely watching pre-race and first 20 laps or so at home. After that either head to those cookouts or just watch here, throw some food on the grill, and tip a few cold ones.

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I can't decide yet. There's a couple cookouts/race parties we have invites for but not sure if headed that way. Definitely watching pre-race and first 20 laps or so at home. After that either head to those cookouts or just watch here, throw some food on the grill, and tip a few cold ones.

I’ll be in the same boat. Watching the prerace now. After about 20 laps I’ll head out to the yard with the radio. I keep the tv going so I can check in throughout the race. 

5 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Pretty decent race. I wish it could have finished under green to see Sato nd Dixon duel it out. 

I think we all would have. The rules of the finish were consistent but Sato is developing a rep on blocking. Him and Rossi won't be exchanging Christmas cards anytime soon. Otherwise I thought the NBC coverage was really strong.....and Lord I can't wait to be out there next May.

16 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Pretty decent race. I wish it could have finished under green to see Sato nd Dixon duel it out. 

According to Danica, it should have.  With about 12-15 laps to go, before the accident, she commented on the possibility the race may end up in a green/white/checker finish.  None of the other announcers corrected her.  

• Haha 1