Indianapolis 500

23 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Pretty decent race. I wish it could have finished under green to see Sato nd Dixon duel it out. 

My self as well.  Dixon dominated most of the race. 

Also.  One of best renditions I have ever heard of "Back Home Again in Indiana ".   And not one but two flyovers by the Thunderbirds.  Before the start of the race.

Overall.  A good race. However would have loved it to have ended differently than the way it did.

• Like 1

Just a couple final thoughts on race. Between TV and Radio I don't think I heard Marco Andretti's name once after the first few laps. Did some homework and I guess the entry to pit lane is something called the pit attenuator. Would have taken hours to repair and they wouldn't restart the race without it since it pretty much saved Pigot's life. Factor that in and they were up against it on tv window I'm ok with the race finishing under yellow. Don't like it but ok with it. 

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I did my golf cart tour yesterday. I highly suggest this for anyone who is a fan of the Speedway and/or the 500. 

Would love to know what it is? Do you get access to other areas of the track normally not allowed?

I always find it so funny when I explain to others not in the area that you can just pull into the track in off months....go to the store/museum and be in the middle of the infield surrounded by 5 people in the worlds greatest oval. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Would love to know what it is? Do you get access to other areas of the track normally not allowed?

I always find it so funny when I explain to others not in the area that you can just pull into the track in off months....go to the store/museum and be in the middle of the infield surrounded by 5 people in the worlds greatest oval. 

They take you up in the Pagoda.  You also go into the media center and Victory Lane. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I did my golf cart tour yesterday. I highly suggest this for anyone who is a fan of the Speedway and/or the 500. 

My stepmom worked at the Speedway years ago, and goes with me every year to the race.  I didn't know this was available - thanks so much for passing this info along!  Will definitely be looking into that.  She worked for Bill Marvel, and would enjoy seeing the Pagoda inside and hearing more stories.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrsStoller said:

My stepmom worked at the Speedway years ago, and goes with me every year to the race.  I didn't know this was available - thanks so much for passing this info along!  Will definitely be looking into that.  She worked for Bill Marvel, and would enjoy seeing the Pagoda inside and hearing more stories.

Bet we all have stories. My Grandfather used to be a timer for AJ's crew back in the 60's. That's where they stood at the edge of the track with watch in hand. Haha...

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Bet we all have stories. My Grandfather used to be a timer for AJ's crew back in the 60's. That's where they stood at the edge of the track with watch in hand. Haha...

I had an old spinster aunt (yes, the same one I took to her first baseball game) that worked at Clabber Girl in Terre Haute...Owned by Tony Hulman...She got 2 tickets to any day of qualifying (we'd always go on the 1st day) and 2 tickets to the race...She had no interest, so they went to me and the old man...Always stopped at the White Castle in Greenwood and bought 100 @.12 apiece...some of which we'd eat, some of which he sold...I couldn't believe people would pay $1 for those things after they got a whiff...Anyway, every year from 1963 to 1977...Usually one of the highlights of the year...Especially when I got to be like 12 and the old man let me run the track...shot right to the snake pit,,,Boy, was that an education for a kid :)

Gary Bettenhausen took me into Gasoline Alley and showed me around once...

The only time I went around it, was in a school bus on a 6th grade field trip...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I had an old spinster aunt (yes, the same one I took to her first baseball game) that worked at Clabber Girl in Terre Haute...Owned by Tony Hulman...She got 2 tickets to any day of qualifying (we'd always go on the 1st day) and 2 tickets to the race...She had no interest, so they went to me and the old man...Always stopped at the White Castle in Greenwood and bought 100 @.12 apiece...some of which we'd eat, some of which he sold...I couldn't believe people would pay $1 for those things after they got a whiff...Anyway, every year from 1963 to 1977...Usually one of the highlights of the year...Especially when I got to be like 12 and the old man let me run the track...shot right to the snake pit,,,Boy, was that an education for a kid :)

Gary Bettenhausen took me into Gasoline Ally and showed me around once...

The only time I went around it, was in a school bus on a 6th grade field trip...

Awesome stories. That's what makes the track so special. My first 500 was Sullivan's spin and win. Have only missed about 5 since. One other memory that was unique is we were down at IU in 93. Decided to load up the car and head to track for qualifications....literally 5 minutes after walking in cracking the first one AJ announced his retirement and took his last lap. Just remember how lucky we were to see that.

Tons of others to share as we get closer to month of May. I went out last year (outside the fence) and I think people are going to be amazed at some of the changes Penske has put in. Just the giant TV's alone. I was in between 1 and 2 standing across the street and could watch on tv like I was sitting in my living room. 

• Like 3

When I was teaching special needs kids in the early 80's, we used to take a field trip for a day of practice at the track.

This was back when Gasoline Alley was open to the public. Several of the drivers were really good and would let the kids come sit on the edge of the car, put a helmet on, etc. 

I have been to 3 races personally. The first was the race that Johnny Rutherford won after the race was called on lap 101 due to rain. My buddy and I sat in the rain and finished a case of beer. Also sat behind pit row when Rick Mears caught on fire. That was some scary stuff. Finally, saw the first race after the split. My teenage daughter liked the purple color of Buddy Lazier's car, and picked him to win. Of course, he did.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

She was there in the 60's as well; many stories and fond memories.  I bet your grandfather has many wonderful stories!  Thrilling for him and thrilling for you to hear those memories!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Former 500 Champ Bobby Unser has passed away at age 87.  Growing up, I was a fan of the Unsers.  That changed as I got older, as it just seemed they were a bit full of themselves.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/03/us/bobby-unser-racing-driver-dies/index.html

Regarding fandom it's what I miss about the olden days if you can call it that. You were either an Unser or Andretti or Foyt or Penske,etc....fan. We were a Foyt family. Never had much interest in Unser's....didn't care for Andretti's one bit. 

Found myself riding the Penske train after Foyt retired until Tony came along....and of course TK after. 

87 years old and die peacefully at home. I'll take that action. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Regarding fandom it's what I miss about the olden days if you can call it that. You were either an Unser or Andretti or Foyt or Penske,etc....fan. We were a Foyt family. Never had much interest in Unser's....didn't care for Andretti's one bit. 

Found myself riding the Penske train after Foyt retired until Tony came along....and of course TK after. 

87 years old and die peacefully at home. I'll take that action. 

I spent a lot of time as a kid up near the pits trying to get autographs during qualifying. The nicest guys were Johnny Rutherford (he remembered my name), Gary Bettenhausen, and Jim Hurtabees...Bettenhausen took me through gasoline alley once...

Mario Andretti was ok. Foyt was ok too, but a bit gruff. Bobby and Al Unser were both aloof...wouldn't sign anything the times I was around them. Parnelli Jones and Dan Gurney wouldn't even look at the kids hanging around...

• Like 2

The good news is my tickets came in the mail today. The bad news is I did not get the parking lot I requested.  Instead of being outside the track from my seats, I’m clear on the north end of the track. It’s going to be a loooooong walk to and from my seats on race day. I normally take the shuttle bus from the airport but with reduced capacity they are not running it this year. 

46 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

The good news is my tickets came in the mail today. The bad news is I did not get the parking lot I requested.  Instead of being outside the track from my seats, I’m clear on the north end of the track. It’s going to be a loooooong walk to and from my seats on race day. I normally take the shuttle bus from the airport but with reduced capacity they are not running it this year. 

Maybe put it out on facebook marketplace or nextdoor app that you are looking to trade.  

• Thanks 1