Indianapolis 500

29 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Dixon looking the part of the favorite again. I enjoy seeing Kanaan in the top five of the speed chart. He brings excitement and the race is better when he is competitive. 

Saw something yesterday. First practice speeds. No winner has ever been out of top 13-14 on day 1. Guess you could say the speed is there or it isn't when they unload.

Strange speeds today. Some were doing mock qualifying runs today in advance of this weekend. My only issue is this weekend we'll be near 90 air temp wise. 1-2 degrees out there means a big difference so making these runs today doesn't make much sense to me. 

Andretti's don't seem to have unloaded much speed so far.

26 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Saw something yesterday. First practice speeds. No winner has ever been out of top 13-14 on day 1. Guess you could say the speed is there or it isn't when they unload.

Strange speeds today. Some were doing mock qualifying runs today in advance of this weekend. My only issue is this weekend we'll be near 90 air temp wise. 1-2 degrees out there means a big difference so making these runs today doesn't make much sense to me. 

Andretti's don't seem to have unloaded much speed so far.

I noticed that about the Andretti cars. I think Rossi ended up about 12th. Marco said he knew day one last year he was going to be a player and he knew day one this year he wasn’t. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I noticed that about the Andretti cars. I think Rossi ended up about 12th. Marco said he knew day one last year he was going to be a player and he knew day one this year he wasn’t. 

Has to be so frustrating. Admittedly not an Andretti fan...but you show up and realize you don't have a chance unless pit strategy or weather helps you. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 8:35 PM, Parakeet Jones said:

The good news is my tickets came in the mail today. The bad news is I did not get the parking lot I requested.  Instead of being outside the track from my seats, I’m clear on the north end of the track. It’s going to be a loooooong walk to and from my seats on race day. I normally take the shuttle bus from the airport but with reduced capacity they are not running it this year. 

Ahhhh.  Just find some random dude outside the gate by your seats and pay him 5 dollars to go park your car.  :coffee:

Going to be interesting to see what impact the weather has for first 50 laps of race. They've been practicing/racing with high temps, humidity for last 4-5 sessions. If forecast holds for Sunday...76, no humidity and little to any winds. Polar opposite of everything so far.

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Going to be interesting to see what impact the weather has for first 50 laps of race. They've been practicing/racing with high temps, humidity for last 4-5 sessions. If forecast holds for Sunday...76, no humidity and little to any winds. Polar opposite of everything so far.

I'll take that forecast right now from a spectator's perspective. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Realistically, how many drivers have a chance to win?  7 or 8?

I think that's a pretty good number. Pretty much the way it's always been though. You have the Fast 9 plus let's add Rossi, Sato, Hinchcliffe and a few others that aren't strangers to the track. 

You never know how it rolls though. You've got a few rookies up front and something weird could happen, leaders could be taken out,etc....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Will Dixon retire as the greatest Indy Car driver of all time?

Tough one because of the eras. Of course the level of competition in engines/tech has never been greater either. Penske rolled the sport over when he came to town so who knows if Mears does all of that if he had non-Penske support.

It's weird....when you Google greatest Indy Car drivers of all time...he's not even in top 10. Tough one. 

26 minutes ago, Officer Obie said:

Always will be in my mind too!

With that said in the last 20-25 years I'm assuming Dixon, Franchitti, Bourdais....all are in the same discussion. Problem with IndyCar all time stuff is the number of wins at the Speedway trumps season titles in most fans eyes...and I agree with that. All time greats are made at Indy. Not some road course in Wisconsin or Ohio. No offense to those states.

Edited by Seeking6

I wasn't specifically talking about the 500.  Several guys have has as much or more success at the Brickyard.  I was talking about Indy car racing in general.  Right now I believe he has 51 career wins, one behind Mario Andretti for 2nd place all time.  A.J. Foyt is still out there in first with 67 or 68.  But, as Seeking6 mentioned, that was a different era.  

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I wasn't specifically talking about the 500.  Several guys have has as much or more success at the Brickyard.  I was talking about Indy car racing in general.  Right now I believe he has 51 career wins, one behind Mario Andretti for 2nd place all time.  A.J. Foyt is still out there in first with 67 or 68.  But, as Seeking6 mentioned, that was a different era.  

Foyt won in every era - Midgets, Sprint cars, Nascar (he won the 1972 Daytona), and open wheel Indy cars. He even won the '67 Le Mans. And as the photo I posted shows, he won all those races while wearing a white dress shirt and sweater. That's class! 😎

Edited by Officer Obie
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

That forecast for Sunday...🙂

Seriously. I'm not an expert by any means but I know those temps and no humidity means speed. Really curious still about setups of cars. Carb Day will probably get pushed to later in day with rain Friday morning. Those teams are going to be scrambling to adjust I would assume.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 8:12 PM, Officer Obie said:

And as the photo I posted shows, he won all those races while wearing a white dress shirt and sweater.

It is absolutely shocking how exposed the drivers were in those days. I really like Dixon and think he is an absolute master. But the stuff that Foyt did in every format imaginable, makes him the best ever in my opinion. There are so many variables, especially across eras, that a direct comparison is impossible.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

For us locals. Blackout lifted. 500 will be shown live this year here in Indy market.

Awesome! I can see both sides of the blackout argument, but it seems archaic in this day and age. Of course, I'll watch and or listen no matter what. Just like I have every May since the mid 50's.

• Like 1