Indianapolis 500

It's great to see a thread for the 500. It's been a part of my life since I can remember. I spend quite a bit of time reading the Trackforum during racing season. I signed up as a member, but I don't post there. Those guys are out of my league. A lot of insiders and some crew members as well. Great perspective of what really happens at the speedway and IndyCar in general. That place has been in my blood for a really long time. Great to talk to other IMS fans.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cthomas said:

It's great to see a thread for the 500. It's been a part of my life since I can remember. I spend quite a bit of time reading the Trackforum during racing season. I signed up as a member, but I don't post there. Those guys are out of my league. A lot of insiders and some crew members as well. Great perspective of what really happens at the speedway and IndyCar in general. That place has been in my blood for a really long time. Great to talk to other IMS fans.

I read Trackforum a lot too. This time of year I read there as much if not more than here. Same as you I have an account, but never post. Those guys are intense. Even a good day there is like an IU board after a loss. 

I hear you about that place being in your blood. My two sports passions grow up were IU basketball and the 500.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

He doesn't want people to think since he bought the track it's rigged. 

They've struggled all week but maybe, just maybe Roger knew what the forecast was going to do and he setup the plan for cooler temps.

Some fans may want it warmer on Sunday but 70 and clear.....these drivers will put on a show for sure. Just not sure if anyone has something for Dixon.

Just now, Seeking6 said:

They've struggled all week but maybe, just maybe Roger knew what the forecast was going to do and he setup the plan for cooler temps.

Some fans may want it warmer on Sunday but 70 and clear.....these drivers will put on a show for sure. Just not sure if anyone has something for Dixon.

I heard TK say that hotter is better for the faster cars and guys that struggle in qualifying will be able to run well if Temps in 70's

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I heard TK say that hotter is better for the faster cars and guys that struggle in qualifying will be able to run well if Temps in 70's

Yep. I'm expecting a really fun race. Several more cars just entered the fray with these temps. 

22 hours ago, cthomas said:

I can identify.  My first recollection was an infield picnic during 1969 qualifications...Mario Andretti's rookie season.  Moved out of Indy as a child in 1972, but that place has a lot of special memories for me...Tom Sneva cresting 200mph and Al Unser Jr. vs. Scott Goodyear at the line...

Caught my wife talking to friends planning a Sunday lunch cookout.  Had to remind her that I would not be missing the race for a cookout.

Edited by FKIM01
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I can identify.  My first recollection was an infield picnic during 1969 qualifications...Mario Andretti's rookie season.  Moved out of Indy as a child in 1972, but that place has a lot of special memories for me...Tom Sneva cresting 200mph and Al Unser Jr. vs. Scott Goodyear at the line...

Caught my wife talking to friends planning a Sunday lunch cookout.  Had to remind her that I would not be missing the race for a cookout.

I can definitely relate. It's been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. So many memories and so much elation and heartbreak. The drivers that have been lost and the ones who have been at the front of the field. I remember that I had gone out for a walk and then turned on the Las Vegas race only to hear that Dan Weldon had been killed. I had photographed him the previous year talking to fans. This sport can bring the highest of highs and rip your heart out within seconds. It should be a great race on Sunday. My only hope is that every driver comes home safely.

• Like 2

It's going to get warmer as the day moves along to low 70's later in race but if you like nose to tail racing....this weather is perfect for it. I'm still a little nervous for the start because of the youth up front. Hopefully Dixon or TK privately suggested to the kids cool your jets.

2 flyovers today too. One for National Anthem and another for Back Home Again in Indiana. Time to hit the elliptical for an hour. Enjoy the race everyone!

• Like 1

What a fun celebration...love this guy's passion.

So many cool moments in this celebration...climbing the fence for the 4th time, kissing the bricks, a congratulatory Italian kiss from Mario.

This guy gets it.  He understands how special this race is and it's just impossible not to like him.

• Like 3

Phenomenal race and deserving Champ. Indy and the 500 needed a Champ like Helio this year. Tiger wins Augusta, Brady win Super Bowl, Phil wins PGA...and now Helio joins the 4x club. Some have stuff left in the tank.

Absolutely what the Motor Speedway needed and deserved after this year. Even with only 135,000 in attendance...the place looked normal again. 

28 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

...and how sick is Graham Rahal?  Coming out of the pits leading only to realize that he was released before the left rear tire changer was able to tighten his tire...

He had the car and the strategy. That one today is going to stick with him for a bit. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

He had the car and the strategy. That one today is going to stick with him for a bit. 

Yeah...and his loose tire also took out Conor Daily's nose cone.  Conor was able to finish on the lead lap, but after leading the most laps and finishing 13th, you have to wonder if that unfortunate collision was the difference for him as well.

• Like 1