Indianapolis 500

16 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Entertaining race on the road course today. I’m usually not a huge fan of the road course races, but that one was really good.  It would have been a lot better had race control not left the yellow out so long after I believe it was Rahal spun near the end. 

Montoya was the one who crashed with one to go. Shame, because he had a great run going. Rahal may have also. Hell, I think everyone spun at least once. 

It’s also been 29 years since a 4 time winner has started the 500. Big Al wound up 12th in his final start. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Montoya was the one who crashed with one to go. Shame, because he had a great run going. Rahal may have also. Hell, I think everyone spun at least once. 

It’s also been 29 years since a 4 time winner has started the 500. Big Al wound up 12th in his final start. 

Rahal is the one that sticks out because it allowed everyone to pit under yellow at the same time to get rain tires. Before that the drama was amazing to see who was going to come in when to switch. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

From the INDYCAR forum I lurk on, it sounds like there is some construction going on that could affect traffic race morning. I usually come up 65 and then take 70 to the airport to park and take the shuttle to the track. Am I going to be able to get off of 65 onto 70 or is that all torn up?

Wish I could be more help. So many construction projects so definitely plan it out. I know parts of I70 are closed just not sure which one's. 

Spent a few hours at the track today. Besides the 33 drivers this guy was the busiest man out there today. No clue why the photo posts crooked...but this guy was as gracious as he could be. Even better when we were leaving we ran into Woody/his wife....and I believe Coach Hunter/his wife. Joked with him about how many pictures he has to take in a day and he said every single one is worth it.

He gets into his white SUV and we see him again....I gave the obligatory fist pump and Coach was honking at us and rolled down the window to say thanks. 

IMG_4384.jpg

• Like 4

Mother Nature is on the clock today in Indy. If the guys at track miss this first line of storms I think the proverbial window is open until 130-2pm range. After that I think they lose the track....unless they want to extend qualify until later this evening. Still plenty light out. 

Speeds up this morning. Jimmie Johnson with fastest lap of the month I believe at 233.9

Because of pending rain they had to move the qualifications up an hour based on random draw. My guess is some drivers will be complaining quite a bit. Track temperature is 22 degrees difference between 11am and 1pm EST....the late guys getting the shaft. Oh well. Glad they will get everyone in I believe before rain arrives in the next hour.

11 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

That is an interesting group of 12 moving on to Sunday. 

Was looking at some speed charts for Veekay this morning. I know he went out early but his stuff has better than everyone all month.

Pretty cool to see Jimmie Johnson in the top 6 too. Admittedly it was hard to see him stumble around 25th each week on road courses but ovals are ovals to him. 

After a few days of high heat/winds.....today is unseasonably cool in Indy. Highs max out at 70. You could see someone throw 235 ish out there later which is just scary. 

I think someone or maybe I did posted this before. Check this video footage out from 1986. The world would implode if something like this happened entering a sporting event today.

https://www.wrtv.com/lifestyle/history/its-chaos-every-year-fans-race-for-pole-position-of-the-north-40-parking-lot-in-1986

For those headed out to Carb Day enjoy....bring an umbrella apparently. Race Day forecast is looking prime! Low humidity, sunny skies and mid 80's. 

On 5/22/2022 at 6:06 PM, Parakeet Jones said:

I’m going to do Scott Dixon a favor and not pick him to win this year. I’ve been convinced he would run away with it the last two years. It’s hard to believe he only has one Baby Borg. 

Here’s an interesting fact: Scott Dixon and Mario Andretti have as many 500 wins as Buddy Lazier and Eddie Cheever. 

Almost like dividing by zero, isn’t it?

Edit: that said, he’s starting in the right spot. More wins have come from the pole (21) than any other position. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/22/2022 at 6:06 PM, Parakeet Jones said:

I’m going to do Scott Dixon a favor and not pick him to win this year. I’ve been convinced he would run away with it the last two years. It’s hard to believe he only has one Baby Borg. 

Tell me about it. How he only has one is beyond comprehension. Will be pulling for him, TK...like Montoya. Have to read up on some others. Either way a packed joint at 16th and Georgetown is what I love the most. 

32 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Are you going to be there this Sunday?

Right now the plan is yes. Have tickets but we might give those to another couple and just do the infield. We've been to every single spot of that track, suites, corners,etc....and we all still love turn 2 infield the most.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Herta tubbed his primary during Carb Day today. Having watched him, I bet he comes out as aggressive as ever on Sunday in the backup and doesn’t let this phase him. 

Of course he will. He’s 22. Don’t you remember when you were that age and indestructible? 🤣

Edit: I hope he does. If Colton wins, he’d set the record for the youngest 500 winner, and this will be his last chance to do it. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Herta tubbed his primary during Carb Day today. Having watched him, I bet he comes out as aggressive as ever on Sunday in the backup and doesn’t let this phase him. 

In a weird way I'm glad he's starting so far in the back. I don't need a car that hasn't had track time until tomorrow at 1245. Will be cheering for him but for the sake of most of the drivers glad he's starting in back. 

• Like 1