Indianapolis 500

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Simon Pagenaud walks away from a terrifying crash in practice yesterday at Mid-Ohio.  The video below shows him after he got out of the car.  There is a longer video where you can hear him talking to his team on the radio, upside down in the car, immediately after the crash itself, and shows the rescue team getting him out.  But, this one shows is the best video of how horrific of a crash it was.  

Besides crashes that caused death one of the most terrifying 7 seconds or so we can imagine. Thank goodness for Indy Car, Safety Initiatives, Engineers or whoever...

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Starting to think about Tickets for the 2024 Indy 500. We usually do general admission, but my buddy wants to do reserved seating this year.

Buying directly from the IMS website isn't a great experience. You're stuck with whatever their algorithm decides is "best available", and can't pick out your own spot. Anyone know of a good place to buy tickets on the secondary market?

Feel free to also share your favorite spots. We're usually on the backstretch so I'm looking for something on the homestretch this year. Though there's always action on Turn 2, and being up in those stands might be fun too.

2 hours ago, Maedhros said:

Starting to think about Tickets for the 2024 Indy 500. We usually do general admission, but my buddy wants to do reserved seating this year.

Buying directly from the IMS website isn't a great experience. You're stuck with whatever their algorithm decides is "best available", and can't pick out your own spot. Anyone know of a good place to buy tickets on the secondary market?

Feel free to also share your favorite spots. We're usually on the backstretch so I'm looking for something on the homestretch this year. Though there's always action on Turn 2, and being up in those stands might be fun too.

Weird they won't let you pick your own out. Never heard of that. We've watched the race from every spot from suites to every turn to infield. 

We spent most of the last decade or so on the mounds just out of turn two. Buddy has some rentals at 17th and Luette so we've always parked there and walked. Recently though we've been going back to infield turn 1. When Penske bought the joint he kicked all of the media trucks that used to park there and opened it back up to fans. It's as close as you can get to the track from infield. Grassy area and as soon as the cars pass you...you can turn around and there's a giant TV right behind you to watch the action. Doesn't hurt that there are guys/gals bathrooms literally 50 steps away.

Also the flyover views down the front stretch are great as well as the additional flyover coming from the East. 

If I were buying grandstand seats though I'd probably be in the sun between 1 and 2. The TV I mentioned before is directly across and you can see them coming down 1 out of 1 and into 2,etc....

Good luck! May will be here before you know it!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DWB said:

I’ve always been partial to middle of turn 4. You can see them coming into 3, in the short chute, thru 4, down the home straight and into 1.

IMO

One of my favorite places in the world is at the top of the grandstand in turn four. Great view of the entire speedway and the skyline of downtown Indy. Nothing much better than a beautiful spring day at IMS (and a few cold ones).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just re-read "Black Noon" by Art Garner about the 1964 race. I cannot recommend it highly enough, especially for anyone who remembers racing from the 50's and 60' s. The background material about drivers and owners alone is worth the read. "Al Unser Jr: A Checkered Past" is also excellent. The behind the scenes stuff makes these bigger than life drivers more human. For hard-core fans, Track Forum is a great sort of information. One poster, NIF I think is his username, provides great insight into the technical side of things from a crew members perspective. It's not a place for the faint of heart. Those guys can get a little rough.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cthomas said:

For hard-core fans, Track Forum is a great sort of information. One poster, NIF I think is his username, provides great insight into the technical side of things from a crew members perspective. It's not a place for the faint of heart. Those guys can get a little rough.

Rough? That place is like walking into a dive bar on the outskirts of Ellettsville wearing the Purdue Pete costume. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, cthomas said:

I just re-read "Black Noon" by Art Garner about the 1964 race. I cannot recommend it highly enough, especially for anyone who remembers racing from the 50's and 60' s. The background material about drivers and owners alone is worth the read. "Al Unser Jr: A Checkered Past" is also excellent. The behind the scenes stuff makes these bigger than life drivers more human. For hard-core fans, Track Forum is a great sort of information. One poster, NIF I think is his username, provides great insight into the technical side of things from a crew members perspective. It's not a place for the faint of heart. Those guys can get a little rough.

I have lurked at TF for years and post there from time to time. An average day on TF is like a day after a 20 point home loss to Purdue here. It’s the best place for info though. No offense to anyone here, but some of those guys are real insiders, like NIF. 

You know earlier this year someone on their was blaming the fans for all of Indycar’s problems. He readily got beat down.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bought my tickets today. Got a spot on the SE Vista, the outside of Turn 2. Row X, which I estimate to be about halfway up. Hoping for a good view. Using the 3D Seating Map on the website, it looks like we'll be able to see the cars entering Turn 1 and all the way through into the backstretch. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maedhros said:

Bought my tickets today. Got a spot on the SE Vista, the outside of Turn 2. Row X, which I estimate to be about halfway up. Hoping for a good view. Using the 3D Seating Map on the website, it looks like we'll be able to see the cars entering Turn 1 and all the way through into the backstretch. 

Great spot but be careful....that was where the tire flew into last year. Haha! 

Some easy and great places to park just past the red bridge just north of 16th too. Been doing that area for years.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Great spot but be careful....that was where the tire flew into last year. Haha! 

Some easy and great places to park just past the red bridge just north of 16th too. Been doing that area for years.

2016 we came down Tibbs, got out with no problem afterwards. 2022 we parked at a friend's place on the west side, that's when we got stuck for two hours without going anywhere. Saving money on parking wasn't worth it. 😄

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

2016 we came down Tibbs, got out with no problem afterwards. 2022 we parked at a friend's place on the west side, that's when we got stuck for two hours without going anywhere. Saving money on parking wasn't worth it. 😄

Im running out the door for Pickleball but I'll circle back around later. There's a few streets that have worked for me over the last 2 decades. Never had a problem entering or exiting. 

• 2 weeks later...