Indianapolis 500

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Here is why I hate the new format. Alonso was faster than Pippa Mann, so the fastest 33 are not starting the race. 

Agree

This BS about "series regulars need to make sure they keep their sponsors happy, so they get guaranteed spots" is....well....BS. Rahal didn't lose Miller after 93, Penske didn't lose Marlboro after 95.

That said, Andretti Autosport must be looking over at McLaren saying "Not so easy, is it boys?" They had Alonso at the front 2 years ago, and this year he misses the field.

• Like 1

We've discussed a bit but I'll just say this. The Speedway doesn't play favorites. Just like when Penske and all of his drivers missed the field. They chose to skip the race the following year.  $ doesn't always win. True David vs Goliath type day at 16th and Georgetown. 

Edited by Seeking6

56 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

We've discussed a bit but I'll just say this. The Speedway doesn't play favorites. Just like when Penske and all of his drivers missed the field. They chose to skip the race the following year.  $ doesn't always win. True David vs Goliath type day at 16th and Georgetown. 

Penske missed the field in 1995. 1996 was the year of the split. No CART teams ran the 500. Not making the field the previous year didn't have anything to do with it.

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Question for the race fans. If McLaren approached your severely underfunded team with $ponsorship for rest of year would you sell your seat to get Fernando Alonso in the 500?

For the rest of one season? I'd hedge towards no, but it'd be close to 50/50. 

For the rest of this season and next season? Yep.

2 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

For the rest of one season? I'd hedge towards no, but it'd be close to 50/50. 

For the rest of this season and next season? Yep.

Tough one for sure. I know they said they won't pursue this option but boy it would be tough to turn that down given the expense of running the series. 

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Tough one for sure. I know they said they won't pursue this option but boy it would be tough to turn that down given the expense of running the series. 

But, credit to de Ferran for not pursuing it. God knows McLaren has the cash. But, he's still a driver at heart.  He wouldn't want to take a spot like that, and he knows Alonso wouldn't either. 

3 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Awesome thread! I’m not going this year but watching at a friends house. I feel like it’s impossible to grow up in Indy and not be into the race haha. One of my favorite weekends of the year. I’m a big Tony Kanaan fan! 

Never missed it for 20 years or so. For 4-5 years we would play golf at Saddlebrook on West Side of Indy. Would schedule tee time to be on course during flyover (right over us while playing) but also be off the course before traffic hit. About 3-4 years ago we decided to get our taste of IMS by going to qualifications or Carb Day or both instead of race day. 

This year we're doing a different variation. Meeting up with group of friends. Riding on the Monon all morning and headed to a place that will show the race live in Indy. (No..I won't tell you which one). 

Edited by Seeking6

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Never missed it for 20 years or so. For 4-5 years we would play golf at Saddlebrook on West Side of Indy. Would schedule tee time to be on course during flyover (right over us while playing) but also be off the course before traffic hit. About 3-4 years ago we decided to get our taste of IMS by going to qualifications or Carb Day or both instead of race day. 

This year we're doing a different variation. Meeting up with group of friends. Riding on the Monon all morning and headed to a place that will show the race live in Indy. (No..I won't tell you which one). 

Not going to tell me? Boo

5 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

You’re good no worries. My buddy is good about finding (potentially illegal) streams that we sync up to the tv haha. 

You're taking me back to the days when the race was blacked out across most of Indiana. Had to find someone who had access to a satellite decoder of *ahem* questionable legality.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

You're taking me back to the days when the race was blacked out across most of Indiana. Had to find someone who had access to a satellite decoder of *ahem* questionable legality.

Ah, the "good ole days".  Family get together in Albion, IN.  Uncle's place.  Race day...on the satellite dish!!!!!!!!

8 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Anyone who lives closer to Indy have any insight on the forecast?  It looks like there is a chance for some rain, but hopefully it holds off until the late afternoon or evening.  

I'm thinking it's the typical May forecast when temps get up into the 80's there will always be a chance of storms. Bring the ice and sunscreen. It's going to be a warm and sunny one is my call unless something really changes over the next few days.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I didn't realize the race was still blacked out in Indy.  We had tape delay for most of my childhood in the Louisville market, but when that went away, I just assumed it was for everyone, Indy included.

It was shown live for the first time in 1986. They lifted the blackout in Indianapolis for the 101st in 2016 when all reserved seats were sold and they sold the max number of general admission infield tickets they felt they safely could. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Hoping they are wrong.  App saying 90% chance but they just said on local 50% scattered storms.  

Let's hope it's more '95 Brickyard vs' 97 500.

Avoiding a repeat of the '97 500 is advisable all around, but particularly the weather.

16 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Good to know there are race fans other than myself on HSN! I’m at a racetrack weekly in spring, summer & fall months. National races at warm locations during winter months.

Used to be anyway. Aside from the 500, IndyCar lost my interest after the split, and NASCAR lost my interest after instituting the *retch* Chase/Playoffs/whatever the hell they're calling it.    Although my interest in IndyCar has picked up over the last few years.