DJ Steward Commits to Duke

KDB

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, CoachSS said:

:)

Since this kid is from Meanstreets (and not Mac) is it a fair recruitment? Kid looks really polished to me. Would love to see him in Bloomington but historically I always get a tad nervous about recruiting Chicagoland kids. Not because of the kids but the layers to get to the kid.

30 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Since this kid is from Meanstreets (and not Mac) is it a fair recruitment? Kid looks really polished to me. Would love to see him in Bloomington but historically I always get a tad nervous about recruiting Chicagoland kids. Not because of the kids but the layers to get to the kid.

Armaan Franklin and Brandon Newman both played on MeanStreets last season.

16 hours ago, CoachSS said:

:)

I hate posts like this...is that because you like the kid or we got some good feedback from the kid lol! Kid appears to be the real deal. We need a pg next year to back up Rob...combo would be nice to also run alongside future 2021 pg as well.

9 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

I've been the president of his fan club for going on two years now. Hence, the :)

He is an off-ball guard. Not a PG and wouldn't backup Rob, for clarity. 

Well, in the future, please use the "off-ball non-backup highly esteemed guard" emoji.  :cheers:

4 hours ago, CoachSS said:

I've been the president of his fan club for going on two years now. Hence, the :)

He is an off-ball guard. Not a PG and wouldn't backup Rob, for clarity. 

Thanks for the clarification. They say combo guard...so is he more like Green?? Or at least serviceable in initiating offense if Rob needs a break?  He is a little smaller to be a wing. We need another point. We have a lot more options at the two. He looks to be a very good player...could he learn to do some more playmakjng?

On 5/13/2019 at 9:46 PM, dgambill said:

Thanks for the clarification. They say combo guard...so is he more like Green?? Or at least serviceable in initiating offense if Rob needs a break?  He is a little smaller to be a wing. We need another point. We have a lot more options at the two. He looks to be a very good player...could he learn to do some more playmakjng?

I have this same question - is his skill set like Green's?

1 hour ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I have this same question - is his skill set like Green's?

Based on what I saw in Westfield I would say that he has the potential to be a lot more dynamic guard than Green.  First, Steward is a proficient scorer from all three levels, whereas Green struggles from the midrange and at the rim at times.  Second, Steward has the potential to be a Big Ten point guard.  I don't think his handles are there yet, but the potential is there.  He could play a lot of different roles from PG to a third guard in a 3-guard lineup.

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Based on what I saw in Westfield I would say that he has the potential to be a lot more dynamic guard than Green.  First, Steward is a proficient scorer from all three levels, whereas Green struggles from the midrange and at the rim at times.  Second, Steward has the potential to be a Big Ten point guard.  I don't think his handles are there yet, but the potential is there.  He could play a lot of different roles from PG to a third guard in a 3-guard lineup.

Sounds kinda like Rob Johnson or am I off here?

IU recruits on the EYBL circuit.  From Inside The Hall:

https://www.insidethehall.com/2019/05/15/an-in-depth-look-at-how-iu-targets-are-performing-on-the-eybl-circuit/

DJ Steward – Meanstreets

Based on his EYBL numbers to date, it’s fair to conclude that Steward is ready to step in and make an immediate impact at the college level.

He’s averaging 25.9 points per game for Meanstreets, which is 4-4 through eight games. He is also averaging five rebounds, 3.5 assists and two steals per game. Over his final two games in Indianapolis (both wins), he scored 37 and 46 points, respectfully.

What’s most impressive, however, is Steward’s efficiency.

He’s using 32 percent of his team’s possessions and owns an effective field goal percentage of 57.2 percent. His turnover rate is just 12.7 percent and he’s shooting 58.6 percent on 2s, 36.2 percent on 3s and 81.6 percent from the free throw line.

2 hours ago, rico said:

That is who you truly compare him to?

Somebody mentioned his name as a comparison and I'd say that is the closest comparison that I've heard.  Mind you, the comparison is incoming senior in high school Greg Graham, not several years in the NBA Greg Graham.....and a player can go a lot of different ways from there.

Archived