Beilein to Cavs

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Shocked. I had great respect for him.  I don’t know why anyone would want that crap Cleveland job but more power to him. 

I wonder if Vagabond Rick Barnes has his agent on the phone with Michigan already?  Dane Fife could be an interesting name. 

Dane Fife was the first name that came to mind for me if they want to go that route 

10 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Dane Fife was the first name that came to mind for me if they want to go that route 

I was thinking the same thing due to his father being  UM alum, but I think Izzo is grooming him as his replacement, just like Judd did with Izzo.

If Dane were to be offered and did take the job, he'd be a permanent pariah in East Lansing 

I think the two key reasons why he left is

1) Tired of the BS that surrounds college recruiting today

2) He probably has talked to NBA coaches and see that they actually can have lives in the off season.  In the summer he won't have to be flying across country trying to beg 16-17 year old kids to come to his school.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

2) He probably has talked to NBA coaches and see that they actually can have lives in the off season.  In the summer he won't have to be flying across country trying to beg 16-17 year old kids to come to his school.

As I said above.  That link provides insight and BGleas hit the nail on the head early on.  He is 66 and always wanted to try his hand at the NBA.  And the window is closing fast.

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I'll add another one.  Not saying he is involved in any way, shape or form. But wants nothing to do with the current FBI investigation. He had a chance to move on last season. But feels the need to devoid himself of any implication, regardless of small. 

I just wonder if Beilein just dropped this on Michigan. Or if it had been already decided weeks ago.  And today was just the date for the announcement.  And IF, it has been in the works for weeks... if this is the reason why Michigan dropped the visit from Lester Quinones.

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

I just wonder if Beilein just dropped this on Michigan. Or if it had been already decided weeks ago.  And today was just the date for the announcement.  And IF, it has been in the works for weeks... if this is the reason why Michigan dropped the visit from Lester Quinones.

I hadn't thought of that but it makes a ton of sense.

19 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I also wonder if that was the case as well. 

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Shocked. I had great respect for him.  I don’t know why anyone would want that crap Cleveland job but more power to him. 

I wonder if Vagabond Rick Barnes has his agent on the phone with Michigan already?  Dane Fife could be an interesting name. 

I can't imagine they would take Dane Fife before one of their current assistants if they were going that route.

But it's Michigan so I'm betting they will go after the big HC names with some hefty $$$

7 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

My initial thought as well. I think Beilein always wanted to try his style in NBA....and it's not like College Hoops is doing guys like him any favors. The dirt out there is at all time levels. 

48 minutes ago, B_A said:

Juwan Howard could use a pay raise. Might be tough to pull him from Miami, but I could see him getting a serious look before Dane Fife.

I don't know about that. 

Howard has no head coaching experience whatsoever.  He's been an NBA assistant for 6 years now, and although I've heard his name mentioned in NBA coaching searches, I'm not sure he was ever an even semi-serious consideration for any of them.

Beilein has built a solid, and from all accounts, clean program at UM. I'm not sure how willing the administration would be to bringing back someone who, while not implicated in the Ed Martin scandal,  was a part of of that team. I'm not really sure if he even has a close relationship with the school any more.

22 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

According to TSN, Cleveland just decided over the week end.

7 minutes ago, rico said:

According to TSN, Cleveland just decided over the week end.

Strange. In that, even the Cav's site says they have been "romancing" Beilein for quite some time.  Or perhaps it was a final piece of the puzzle that came together over the weekend.

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Strange. In that, even the Cav's site says they have been "romancing" Beilein for quite some time.  Or perhaps it was a final piece of the puzzle that came together over the weekend.

It had to be one final piece of the puzzle.  I would imagine the deal was "in place" well before this announcement.  

Archived