Beilein to Cavs

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I wouldn't be surprise at this late of a date that UM just announces an interim coach for this year then look for a full time after next year.

Not saying it couldn't happen. You always want to make the right hire. In this day and age though I can't imagine taking 12 months off in recruiting without a name officially attached to your program. Would set it back minimally 2 recruiting classes 20 and 21 with potential for not being able to develop relationships for 22 that so many kids mention when they say yes to someone. 

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Put a bunch of retread names in a jar, and keep them there, until the next HC gig opens up.

What about Alford ? 

Or more realistically, IMHO..... Calbert Cheaney ?  NBA experience, both as a player and as an assistant.  Currently a HC in the G league.  Knows and understands recruiting Indiana and the Midwest.  After all, had a stint as player development coach at IU.   Makes as much sense as any of those listed in the article.

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

UM has 2 four-star wings who can shoot the ball coming in this fall. Let the poaching begin??

Jalen Wilson is one that is going to be really sought after. Just so happens he's really good friends with RJ Hampton. We of course know best friends don't always play at same school but at this late date...it could be potentially Kansas gain. If Hampton goes there. 

8 minutes ago, Indykev said:

2nd best to best job in the Big Ten. They will get a great coach

But according to that link the names: Donovans, Stevens and Jay Wright can probably be crossed of that list. I think Beard would be the biggest possibility for a home run hire and that may even be lofty at this point. 

42 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Not saying it couldn't happen. You always want to make the right hire. In this day and age though I can't imagine taking 12 months off in recruiting without a name officially attached to your program. Would set it back minimally 2 recruiting classes 20 and 21 with potential for not being able to develop relationships for 22 that so many kids mention when they say yes to someone. 

Would also think B didn't shock UM with a sudden departure, would think they were prepared for this and have been ready to move forward with the coaching search. It's only May 10, whole summer ahead with recruiting through the fall and then again for next spring's deadline. I would bet on UM having a coach in place in 2019.

Aahhh....errrr.....uuhhhh......wow. 

He's definitely one that coached up his talent.  Made the whole greater than the sum of the parts.  On one hand, not sad to see him go, as it makes our road that much easier.  Other hand, he's brought a lot of strength to the B10. 

As for replacements, he hasn't exactly set the world on fire but he knows that program and that area. Given the tight timeframe, could LaVall Jordan be in play?

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think this late in the process it is to late to get any top quality coaches to change.  UL did it and it did not hurt them very much and still got a quality coach in Mack.

Timing was different on that one.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think this late in the process it is to late to get any top quality coaches to change.  UL did it and it did not hurt them very much and still got a quality coach in Mack.

UL was a job surrounded in uncertainty at the time.  No top coach in his right mind would have taken it without knowing if they'd be sanctioned.  They were wise to ride the storm out with an interim. 

This is a Top 25 program, free and clear.  Someone will listen. 

This was a paragraph out of an ESPN article

Beilein has run model programs in college, free of scandal and impropriety. In recent years, he has become increasingly frustrated with the nature of college basketball recruiting and the retention of top players. The impending loss of Michigan freshman Ignas Brazdeikis along with senior Charles Matthews and sophomore Jordan Poole to the NBA draft dented what might have been a national championship contender

59 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Put a bunch of retread names in a jar, and keep them there, until the next HC gig opens up.

What about Alford ? 

Or more realistically, IMHO..... Calbert Cheaney ?  NBA experience, both as a player and as an assistant.  Currently a HC in the G league.  Knows and understands recruiting Indiana and the Midwest.  After all, had a stint as player development coach at IU.   Makes as much sense as any of those listed in the article.

I'd have no choice but to start rooting for Michigan if they hired Calbert Cheaney. 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know about that. 

Howard has no head coaching experience whatsoever.  He's been an NBA assistant for 6 years now, and although I've heard his name mentioned in NBA coaching searches, I'm not sure he was ever an even semi-serious consideration for any of them.

Beilein has built a solid, and from all accounts, clean program at UM. I'm not sure how willing the administration would be to bringing back someone who, while not implicated in the Ed Martin scandal,  was a part of of that team. I'm not really sure if he even has a close relationship with the school any more.

He was in serious consideration for the Lakers job, Pelinka was on the Fab 5 team and gave a legit look at him. He's on trajectory to be a NBA HC soon. My point is UM will have far better candidates on their short list than the son of a UM Alum, which was what I was replying to. Like you've said, the program is in great shape, they shouldn't have problems finding a successful coach with plenty of HC experience.  

9 minutes ago, morganmonroe said:

I'd have no choice but to start rooting for Michigan if they hired Calbert Cheaney. 

I had forgotten that Alford has been hired by Nevada. I even posted that the Nevada fans were already in support of Steve.  As for Calbert.  I feel he deserves a shot as HC other than as a G league coach.  Too bad things did not work out at St. Louis.  Thought that would have been a great spot for him. 

Archived