Beilein to Cavs

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

Immediate thoughts were...

1) Any recruits we can steal if they ask out of their LOI

My first thought as well. I believe they were mentioned with some names we were considering as well. 

Regardless of who they get, I have to think it will slow down that program. New coach / system will have some growing pains. An opportunity for IU to move up the ladder!

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

It’s too late in the game for many big names to take the job, but hey, I guess anything is possible. 

True. Sounds lik he had enough of the current cesspool known as college basketball. I good guy leaves and scumbabs like Wade stay. 

Beilein had "become increasingly frustrated with the nature of college basketball recruiting and the retention of top players." Let's take those one by one. The FBI investigation that uncovered just how prevalent cheating had become underlined the challenges a by-the-book recruiter like Beilein faced annually. Trust me when I tell you, he won't miss that part of the sport at all. 

2 minutes ago, Bedford1432 said:

True. Sounds lik he had enough of the current cesspool known as college basketball. I good guy leaves and scumbabs like Wade stay. 

Beilein had "become increasingly frustrated with the nature of college basketball recruiting and the retention of top players." Let's take those one by one. The FBI investigation that uncovered just how prevalent cheating had become underlined the challenges a by-the-book recruiter like Beilein faced annually. Trust me when I tell you, he won't miss that part of the sport at all. 

IU coaches have the same frustrations.

Will be interesting to see if Beilein is succesful with the Cavs. Starting at the bottom with room to grow / improve provides him with a good start -- as a first-time NBA coaching gig, that's not a bad choice at all. The pressure to succeed immediately won't be there, like it would for most other NBA teams.

I have nothing against Cleveland.  Before Lebron, it was a wasteland of a franchise.  It might as well have been Siberia. 

But they've had the number one pick four times since Lebron came in the league (Lebron, Kyrie, Anthony Bennett, and Andrew Wiggins).  That's a little ridiculous.  I hope they don't get it again.

I do like and respect Beilein, though.  

14 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I have nothing against Cleveland.  Before Lebron, it was a wasteland of a franchise.  It might as well have been Siberia. 

But they've had the number one pick four times since Lebron came in the league (Lebron, Kyrie, Anthony Bennett, and Andrew Wiggins).  That's a little ridiculous.  I hope they don't get it again.

The NBA so wants the Knicks to be good if I were a betting man they will have the 1st pick

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The Bennett year of course was the pick in front of Vic, lol. 

Kyrie's of course gone and LeBron ran Wiggins out of town -- though for Love, who they still have. What they do with Love, trade or build around him will be interesting.

Lots of room for upwards improvement....

7 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Kyrie's of course gone and LeBron ran Wiggins out of town -- though for Love, who they still have. What they do with Love, trade or build around him will be interesting.

They only passed on Vic, Otto Porter, Cody, CJ McCollum, Giannis......

I think Bennett's nickname is "Darko" now.

Worth noting that it took Beilein a while over his coaching career spanning the 4 DI teams he coached, Canisius, Richmond, WVU, UM, until he was regularly coaching his teams into the NCAA tourney.

Once in 5 years at Canisius

Once in 6 seasons at Richmond.

Twice in 5 seasons at WVU -- the first his third year in.

Then a good roll at UM, the first his second season, missed again the third, and then picked it up.

Everyone thinks Beilein is an excellent coach, he is, and became an excellent recruiter. Another snapshot as grounds for patience, with CAM.

8 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Kevin Love can be quite an intriguing one in Beilein's system. Maybe Cavs boosts his number this season (mainly PPG and outside shooting) and trades him next year to acquire future assets. Usually a team needs an alpha male to build around; Kevin Love didn't strike me as one of those guys. Plus he may have a few years left before showing decline. Just my 2 cents.

Just now, addictedtoIU said:

Kevin Love can be quite an intriguing one in Beilein's system. Maybe Cavs boosts his number this season (mainly PPG and outside shooting) and trades him next year to acquire future assets. Usually a team needs an alpha male to build around; Kevin Love didn't strike me as one of those guys. Plus he may have a few years left before showing decline. Just my 2 cents.

Agree, and he's injury prone. Love is a very good and in many ways underrated player, but he's not a centerpiece player, imo.

26 minutes ago, Indykev said:

The 'rankings' for IU in that chart are interesting and somewhat confusing --

#4 in recruiting base, #6 in facilities -- I would've thought those would be ranked better -- MD and Rutgers with the #1 and #2 recruiting base shows a favoratism for East Coast recruiting. Northwestern / Chicago at #3 is about where I would've thought -- as strongly as we feel about IN/region recruiting, the East Coast recruiting base is deep. Meanwhile IU has recruiting base at 4, but PU is 10? How are they defining recruiting base?

And game atmosphere PU #1? Uh, well, alright.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Everyone thinks Beilein is an excellent coach, he is, and became an excellent recruiter. Another snapshot as grounds for patience, with CAM. 

I'm not saying that either one is easy, but it's easier for a good coach to learn recruiting than it is for a good recruiter to learn how to coach. 

40 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Guarantee the Knicks or Lakers will get the #1 pick

I was thinking the same thing, only leaning more toward the Lakers. Adam Silver only THINKS he's the most powerful man in the NBA. Plus, the story of the aging warrior teaming with the young rookie to knock out the perennial juggernaut (Golden St) while restoring the Lakers to their rightful place is too tempting of as story line for them.

And I think Silver is too afraid Dolan would ruin the kid before he ever got started to give it to the Knicks

Archived