Beilein to Cavs

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Month-long avatar bet?

don't even know how to change the avatar LOL!  As a Pacer fan I witnessed first hand how the NBA rigs the lottery to get a key player in a Knicks uniform when Ewing went there over the Pacers.

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am just saying that the NBA will make it happen

That's a narrative that just isn't accurate. Actually the one year the Knicks have the most ping pong balls (this year) is the first year where the NBA lowered the odds for the team with the worst record. 

https://nypost.com/2019/05/13/the-knicks-unforgiving-draft-lottery-history-from-kenny-walker-to-kevin-knox/

1 hour ago, CapnRon said:

We should NOT be 6th in facilities.

Should not be, but objectively, we are.

IU is at a big disadvantage to other schools where the athletic department actually gets to keep all of the B1G $$$.  IU diverts a bunch of it to prop up their bloated academic structure.  I know academics are #1, but they should also be self-supporting.  Something is wrong when they aren't.

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That's a narrative that just isn't accurate. Actually the one year the Knicks have the most ping pong balls (this year) is the first year where the NBA lowered the odds for the team with the worst record. 

https://nypost.com/2019/05/13/the-knicks-unforgiving-draft-lottery-history-from-kenny-walker-to-kevin-knox/

So it was coincidence that the Cavs just happen to get the #1 pick when the home town hero Labron was going to be the #1 pick.  How about when Chicago happened to get the #1 when the home town hero Derrick rose was going to be the #1 pick.  I truly believe the NBA rig the draft lottery to get the Knicks Patrick Ewing.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So it was coincidence that the Cavs just happen to get the #1 pick when the home town hero Labron was going to be the #1 pick.  How about when Chicago happened to get the #1 when the home town hero Derrick rose was going to be the #1 pick.  I truly believe the NBA rig the draft lottery to get the Knicks Patrick Ewing.

What is the NBA's vested interest in Cleveland being good? It's not a great market. I get questioning the LeBron one, but why would the NBA care if Cleveland got Bennett or Wiggins? Do you really think the NBA wanted Greg Oden in Portland or KAT in Minnesota? The Celtics, one of the NBA's treasured franchises, had the most ping pong balls in both the Duncan (San Antonio - small market) and the Oden/Durant (Portland - small market; Seattle was known to be potentially relocating) drafts and both times fell. 

Also, your comment was about the Knicks, and the Knicks have actually had bad luck in the lottery outside of 1985. 

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

2003: Cavs were tied for the best odds with the Nuggets at 22.5%. Everything except the #2 pick fell according to the odds. 
2008: Chicago had a slim chance of getting it, true.  But still not the lowest odds in history.  Teams with a sub 5% chance of winning the lottery have won the #1 overall pick 5 times, so it's not unprecedented.

Edit: And Rose to Chicago wasn't a foregone conclusion.  There was still talk about the Bulls taking Beasley with the #1 pick. 

58 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Should not be, but objectively, we are.

IU is at a big disadvantage to other schools where the athletic department actually gets to keep all of the B1G $$$.  IU diverts a bunch of it to prop up their bloated academic structure.  I know academics are #1, but they should also be self-supporting.  Something is wrong when they aren't.

Exactly, I definitely believe that we are 6, just irritated that they have allowed it, especially with the money donated by alumni.

46 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

^^ The lottery system is based on the ping pong balls, how many are in the case, and who gets them. There isn't a conspiracy here, the ping pong balls drop however they drop.

Or in the case of my 4lb Yorkie, you can have two balls and only one drop. ‘Splain that!?!? Vet wants to do surgery to remove both. I’m like, hey lady, do you have any idea what it would be like to go through your entire life without... then it hit me, she’s a Timberwolves fan.  Conspiracies I tell you!

True story

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

^^ The lottery system is based on the ping pong balls, how many are in the case, and who gets them. There isn't a conspiracy here, the ping pong balls drop however they drop.

The year the Knicks got Ewing, it was someone picking envelopes from a clear plastic bin. The winning envelope had a corner turned up that some people found suspicious.

And if you don't think a ping pong ball machine can be manipulated,  then you've probably never heard of the Pennsylvania lottery scheme of 1980

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The year the Knicks got Ewing, it was someone picking envelopes from a clear plastic bin. The winning envelope had a corner turned up that some people found suspicious.

And if you don't think a ping pong ball machine can be manipulated,  then you've probably never heard of the Pennsylvania lottery scheme of 1980

Actually they think the Knicks card was frozen so when they was picking the them out they knew which one was the Knicks.  At that time there were only 7 teams in the lottery and each team had one card in the clear plastic bowl so it would be easy to know which one to choose.

2 hours ago, CapnRon said:

Exactly, I definitely believe that we are 6, just irritated that they have allowed it, especially with the money donated by alumni.

We have a foreign president and a culture that has been de-emphasizing basketball and strong coaches since Knight.

We are going through what ND football went through from Holtz to Kelly.

I guess I really don't understand all of the love for Beilein.  Several years ago, he had a kid that wanted to transfer, and Johnny refused, it made national news, and the pressure finally grew to the point he relented.  Then he told Max B he no longer had a place at UM, and threw a fit when he transferred to IU.  Not having learned his lesson, he did the exact same thing to Spike Albrecht.  The whole "you're no longer good enough to play here, but you can now only play where I approve"  attitude really turns me off.  He may be a great guy, but this was not a good look.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Naah, not buying the conspiracy theory stuff, and Gleas already covered some history above -

tell me, how have the Knicks done over many years now, in the lottery, and based on their draft order? 

20 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Hopefully @Feathery will get us some insight into this

Sorry been busy today. Michigan guys are saying it’s a combination of him not liking how he has to recruit his roster yearly, now with the transfer portal and NBA rules. Also, the corruption trial doing nothing to stop cheating. Sam Webb theorized that now that Wade and Miller still have jobs, cheating will just be worse than before bc the FBI couldn’t hammer any coaches. 

Beilien has a close connection to a Cavs front office person, was mentioned he views this person as a second son. So there is a comfort level there. 

Next hire, they will call Stevens, Donovan, and just see. Then they will go to more realistic options. Sam Webb said they will look for a coach who is clean, has a track record of winning. He didn’t give other names. 

I wonder if they would go after Marshall or Chris Beard.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Actually they think the Knicks card was frozen so when they was picking the them out they knew which one was the Knicks.  At that time there were only 7 teams in the lottery and each team had one card in the clear plastic bowl so it would be easy to know which one to choose.

The Ewing thing may have been a conspiracy, but that was almost 35 years ago. There is no evidence of the lottery being rigged since, and as has been shown the Knicks have actually had bad luck on the lottery, as have the Celtics. Teams that have won the lottery in recent history, Minnesota, Orlando, Cleveland, Portland, New Orleans, etc.

4 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

But what if some balls weight more than others...wouldn’t they naturally fall to the bottom?? 🤣 just kidding!

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

The Ewing thing may have been a conspiracy, but that was almost 35 years ago. There is no evidence of the lottery being rigged since, and as has been shown the Knicks have actually had bad luck on the lottery, as have the Celtics. Teams that have won the lottery in recent history, Minnesota, Orlando, Cleveland, Portland, New Orleans, etc.

Thanks a lot for making me feel old. 😕  lol

Archived