Beilein to Cavs

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's an interesting name to ponder...Ben Howland. I tried to find the details of his contract, but didn't see where he had signed an extension or had a massive buyout like Jamie Dixon.

A lot like Beilein...Older coach with no baggage and can win at the upper levels...

11 hours ago, BGleas said:

The Ewing thing may have been a conspiracy, but that was almost 35 years ago. There is no evidence of the lottery being rigged since, and as has been shown the Knicks have actually had bad luck on the lottery, as have the Celtics. Teams that have won the lottery in recent history, Minnesota, Orlando, Cleveland, Portland, New Orleans, etc.

Agreed. Ewing draft could have been rigged (frozen enevelope/bent corner) since it was a bunch of envelopes being pulled out. Now with the ping pong balls and so many combinations assigned to each team, supervised by EY and a rep from each team, it is nearly impossible to be rigged. I've seen articles over the years (not as much lately) that used to show what conspiracy could be applied to basically any team winning the lottery. 

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Here's an interesting name to ponder...Ben Howland. I tried to find the details of his contract, but didn't see where he had signed an extension or had a massive buyout like Jamie Dixon.

A lot like Beilein...Older coach with no baggage and can win at the upper levels...

I like the name.  The only question would be do you hire a coach that is 61?

4 minutes ago, rico said:

I like the name.  The only question would be do you hire a coach that is 61?

When looking for the contract info, I came across this article. Howland says he's going to go 6-7 more years, and that he's happy where he's at.

But by any standard, Michigan is a step up from Mississippi State. 

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

When looking for the contract info, I came across this article. Howland says he's going to go 6-7 more years, and that he's happy where he's at.

But by any standard, Michigan is a step up from Mississippi State. 

Thanks for the article.  One thing that I noticed is that he enjoys fly fishing.  Michigan would be a great destination for his hobby.  

If Donovan wants to get back into college game I think this is the gig and the time. UM has the resources and I think will pay whatever they have to get their guy. I would not be shocked to see Beard take a serious look as well. I will be shocked if they do not get a big name. my gut says Marshall will be in the finals for this position. 

12 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

If Donovan wants to get back into college game I think this is the gig and the time. UM has the resources and I think will pay whatever they have to get their guy. I would not be shocked to see Beard take a serious look as well. I will be shocked if they do not get a big name. my gut says Marshall will be in the finals for this position. 

Lol, if Donovan ends up at Michigan...

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Lol, if Donovan ends up at Michigan...

Over the past 8 years or so the number 1 program in arguably the top 1 or 2 conferences in the country. OKC kind of stuck in neutral. I don't feel that the will be plucking someone from a mid major or an assistant coach IMO. 

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Well, Billy D has already succeeded at one football school, so...

But this from the article...

"Michigan is one of the blue bloods of college basketball and has enjoyed a ton of success until Beilein."

The last statement may be true but the first one has me scratching my head 

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Well, Billy D has already succeeded at one football school, so...

But this from the article...

"Michigan is one of the blue bloods of college basketball and has enjoyed a ton of success until Beilein."

The last statement may be true but the first one has me scratching my head 

Yeah, some of that is poorly worded by the author.

Just now, IU Scott said:

You think that if Donnovan turned down UK twice and supposedly IU it would be hard it imagine he would take the UM job.

no disagreeing but I just don't see that he looks overly thrilled on the sidelines at OKC and I don't see them getting anywhere near the finals. I think it would be a great landing place for most coaches to be honest.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You think that if Donnovan turned down UK twice and supposedly IU it would be hard it imagine he would take the UM job.

Timing is everything.  Also, having an AD willing to make a move when the iron is hot.  Fred is completely incompetent while UM clearly knows what it is doing.

21 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

The 'rankings' for IU in that chart are interesting and somewhat confusing --

#4 in recruiting base, #6 in facilities -- I would've thought those would be ranked better -- MD and Rutgers with the #1 and #2 recruiting base shows a favoratism for East Coast recruiting. Northwestern / Chicago at #3 is about where I would've thought -- as strongly as we feel about IN/region recruiting, the East Coast recruiting base is deep. Meanwhile IU has recruiting base at 4, but PU is 10? How are they defining recruiting base?

And game atmosphere PU #1? Uh, well, alright.

Maybe the visiting locker room sucks.

14 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Timing is everything.  Also, having an AD willing to make a move when the iron is hot.  Fred is completely incompetent while UM clearly knows what it is doing.

Would you just stop with your non sense because it getting old.  Just keep that kind of posting on the rivals where they will play along with your non sense.  According to your pal over there Donovan was in Bloomington looking at houses LOL! so it is obvious we took our shot the last time we had an opening.

23 hours ago, B_A said:

He was in serious consideration for the Lakers job, Pelinka was on the Fab 5 team and gave a legit look at him. He's on trajectory to be a NBA HC soon. My point is UM will have far better candidates on their short list than the son of a UM Alum, which was what I was replying to. Like you've said, the program is in great shape, they shouldn't have problems finding a successful coach with plenty of HC experience.  

Point taken, and you're last sentence is probably right.

Back to Juwan. I would think if he's that well thought of, and a college teammate that's an NBA GM (Pelinka) actually thought he had "the goods" then he would have at least deserved the attention that Monty William's and Ty Lue received in the Lakers search. Frank Vogel might end up being a good hire, but he's not an automatic home run by any stretch.

Or maybe LeBron just said, "no way." to Howard.

Archived