Beilein to Cavs

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

I almost wonder if they wouldn't promote Jeff Meyer, provided he doesn't follow Jordan to Ann Arbor.  Spent 16 years as a head coach at Liberty, and knows the area well.  Being 63, he'd definitely be a stopgap, but he could step in immediately and give them potentially 4-5 years to find their "permanent" replacement.

If and a big IF IMO Meyer will follow him to UM

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Donovan and Marshall is where i would put the early money.  I think there will or is mutual interest . Then I would not be surprised to see Rick Barnes or Beard.

If they cannot get their guy Lavall Jordan will work as a stop gap til they find a guy 

If Michigan hires Lavall Jordan then that job is not as good as what I think it is.

Just now, rico said:

If Michigan hires Lavall Jordan then that job is not as good as what I think it is.

I agree 100% if that is what happens they they have struck out and just want someone with ties until one of the guys are their list will accept.  Unfortunately for us I expect a home run hire. 

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree 100% if that is what happens they they have struck out and just want someone with ties until one of the guys are their list will accept.  Unfortunately for us I expect a home run hire. 

I just can't see Michigan hiring a stop gap HC.  

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

If you were handicapping this hire who is in the field and what are the odds.

Good question and one that I don't have an answer for to be honest.  Most names have been thrown out there already and any of them could be the hire.  But a couple of "dark horses" that intrigue me are Bobby Hurley and Mike White.

7 minutes ago, rico said:

Good question and one that I don't have an answer for to be honest.  Most names have been thrown out there already and any of them could be the hire.  But a couple of "dark horses" that intrigue me are Bobby Hurley and Mike White.

Do you think White would leave Florida? I feel he is the heir apparent to Coach K at Duke. Might be way off on that. Maybe it would not make a difference. 

If Donovan can't get more than the 1 year commitment left on his contract and the money is there at UM, I don't see him sticking around to be let go a year from now when OKC gets beat in the 1st Rd of the playoffs. 

11 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Do you think White would leave Florida? I feel he is the heir apparent to Coach K at Duke. Might be way off on that. Maybe it would not make a difference. 

No I don't, that is why I called him a dark horse.  But his name keeps getting tossed around out there.

20 hours ago, rico said:

I just can't see Michigan hiring a stop gap HC.  

After looking at the shape of the overall program, I think hiring either Lavall Jordan, or Luke Yaklich might be the smartest thing at this point.

If they've gone through the wishlist (Donovan, Steven's, et al) and there's no interest,  then why take a flyer on a sketchy hire like say Shaka Smart when he's going to cost you a buyout and you'd have to top his current salary? Especially when you're losing your top 3 scorers and the expectations aren't sky high?

Yaklich is especially intriguing to me. He's been given props for coaching the defense and I read where some of the incoming freshmen are hoping for an internal hire. Give him a 3 year deal and a chance to earn his chops. If he doesn't pan out, he'll be easy enough to fire and maybe the field of candidates will change for the better.

On 5/13/2019 at 2:39 PM, Hoosierhoopster said:

The 'rankings' for IU in that chart are interesting and somewhat confusing --

#4 in recruiting base, #6 in facilities -- I would've thought those would be ranked better -- MD and Rutgers with the #1 and #2 recruiting base shows a favoratism for East Coast recruiting. Northwestern / Chicago at #3 is about where I would've thought -- as strongly as we feel about IN/region recruiting, the East Coast recruiting base is deep. Meanwhile IU has recruiting base at 4, but PU is 10? How are they defining recruiting base?

And game atmosphere PU #1? Uh, well, alright.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-ten-passes-sec-in-total-revenue-by-more-than-100-million-in-2017-18-a-report-says/

Per this article, each program other than Rutgers and Maryland will get cut a check for a cool $54 million. Discussed numerous times on this board that IU uses this money to fund many of their academic programs, but with a 45% increase over last year's check, you would hope that some part of the cash infusion could be directed towards the facilities deficiencies.

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-ten-passes-sec-in-total-revenue-by-more-than-100-million-in-2017-18-a-report-says/

Per this article, each program other than Rutgers and Maryland will get cut a check for a cool $54 million. Discussed numerous times on this board that IU uses this money to fund many of their academic programs, but with a 45% increase over last year's check, you would hope that some part of the cash infusion could be directed towards the facilities deficiencies.

For some bizarre reason, my office network won't let me read CBS stories (??). Will check it out though thx for the link. 

7 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Heard DD show today and talked about how some of the athletic money was used to put A/C in the dorms one which was where his daughter lived(Brisco)

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

After looking at the shape of the overall program, I think hiring either Lavall Jordan, or Luke Yaklich might be the smartest thing at this point.

If they've gone through the wishlist (Donovan, Steven's, et al) and there's no interest,  then why take a flyer on a sketchy hire like say Shaka Smart when he's going to cost you a buyout and you'd have to top his current salary? Especially when you're losing your top 3 scorers and the expectations aren't sky high?

Yaklich is especially intriguing to me. He's been given props for coaching the defense and I read where some of the incoming freshmen are hoping for an internal hire. Give him a 3 year deal and a chance to earn his chops. If he doesn't pan out, he'll be easy enough to fire and maybe the field of candidates will change for the better.

Great post. Agree on the Yaklich choice. From many articles I've read, JB transitioned his coaching style allowing Yaklich take over all defensive coaching responsibilities. Does the risk losing Yaklich and Washington outweigh the prospects of bringing in someone like Jordan or Smart? Certainly, if the home run hire is there, take it. 

2 hours ago, B_A said:

Great post. Agree on the Yaklich choice. From many articles I've read, JB transitioned his coaching style allowing Yaklich take over all defensive coaching responsibilities. Does the risk losing Yaklich and Washington outweigh the prospects of bringing in someone like Jordan or Smart? Certainly, if the home run hire is there, take it. 

If Jordan is their guy(?), then they are better off hiring Yaklich or Washington.

Archived