Beilein to Cavs

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks for the info...One part of the article confused me though...

"Multiple reports have linked Texas head coach Shaka Smart as a person of interest in Michigan’s search. Smart has a buyout figure at Texas of $12.9 million if he’s fired. What that number would be if he breaks his deal is unclear."

I am assuming if Smart got fired, that $12.9 million dollar figure is what they (UT) would owe him? On the other end, I'm sure breaking the contract would require payment Smart and his subsequent employer would be liable for?

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Thanks for the info...One part of the article confused me though...

"Multiple reports have linked Texas head coach Shaka Smart as a person of interest in Michigan’s search. Smart has a buyout figure at Texas of $12.9 million if he’s fired. What that number would be if he breaks his deal is unclear."

I am assuming if Smart got fired, that $12.9 million dollar figure is what they (UT) would owe him? On the other end, I'm sure breaking the contract would require payment Smart and his subsequent employer would be liable for?

If Texas terminates Smart without cause (contract was not breached on either side), yes, they'd owe him the $13M. 

If Texas terminates Smart for cause (Smart breached the contract), they'd owe him $0. 

If Shaka wanted to voluntarily leave his position to take another coaching position, he or his potential new employer would owe UT $13M, provided that an employee buyout isn't specified differently in the contract. 

If Shaka wanted to retire for whatever reason (leave the contract without taking another position), he wouldn't get the payout, but he wouldn't have to pay a buyout during what would have been the original term of the contract.  (This is the "standard" way this usually works.  Could be written differently.)

43 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

If Texas terminates Smart without cause (contract was not breached on either side), yes, they'd owe him the $13M. 

If Texas terminates Smart for cause (Smart breached the contract), they'd owe him $0. 

If Shaka wanted to voluntarily leave his position to take another coaching position, he or his potential new employer would owe UT $13M, provided that an employee buyout isn't specified differently in the contract. 

If Shaka wanted to retire for whatever reason (leave the contract without taking another position), he wouldn't get the payout, but he wouldn't have to pay a buyout during what would have been the original term of the contract.  (This is the "standard" way this usually works.  Could be written differently.)

If I were Texas, I'd waive the buyout.

2 hours ago, DunkinDipo said:

Did we recruit this kid previously? He is ranked 50th so I say Archie should at least give him a call.

DD. I can't recall Archie ever going after Jalen.  Sometimes there are jut too many fish in the pond.

Of course Cooley isn’t a super flashy hire, but I think he could actually be pretty solid for Michigan, especially as Izzo’s career winds down. He’s a solid coach, really good motivator, and I could see him taking Michigan back from MSU in terms of recruiting the state. 

Archived