Beilein to Cavs

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I'm Juwan Howard I figure out a way to find an experienced assistant or even former head coach to be on my staff. Juwan has name, status,etc....but handling the ins and outs of High Major D1 time management, recruiting, how to recruit,etc....you want a veteran in your corner. 

47 minutes ago, dgambill said:

One thing Penny had going for him was he had coached half this class in AAU and made inroads with them...Howard feels closer to a Patrick Ewing hire imo. Juwan Howard...the third most famous of the Fab 5...or little Penny who was all over tv...yeah not even close on the famous factor. This is a win imo. I don’t trust bigs to teach basketball lol...give me a guard any day of the week.

Here are a few great NBA players who tried college coaching and failed an can't really think of nay that ended up being a great coach.  I am just doing thi soff the top of my head so there probably have been a few but not many.

Clyde Drexel

Isiah Thomas

Chris Mullin

Patrick Ewing ?

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Here are a few great NBA players who tried college coaching and failed an can't really think of nay that ended up being a great coach.  I am just doing thi soff the top of my head so there probably have been a few but not many.

Clyde Drexel

Isiah Thomas

Chris Mullin

Patrick Ewing ?

What does this have to do with Juwan Howard?  He was no great NBA player.  Now if you want to say just former NBA players that coached in college, that is different.

31 minutes ago, rico said:

What does this have to do with Juwan Howard?  He was no great NBA player.  Now if you want to say just former NBA players that coached in college, that is different.

Just meant that because you played in the NBA does not mean you will be a good coach

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just meant that because you played in the NBA does not mean you will be a good coach

As much as I loved IT as a Hoosier.  I agree with you, when it comes to being a good NBA coach. Or for that matter an NBA executive.  Some guys need to learn to stop when they are ahead.

Isiah Thomas 

Time will tell if this will move the needle...it’s an immediate step down from Beilein at least in the short term (even if Howard recruits well he will have a learning curve for in game strategy etc). I mean he may end up being closer to Tommy Amaker and Brian Ellerbe than Beilein or Johnny Orr.

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

One thing Penny had going for him was he had coached half this class in AAU and made inroads with them...Howard feels closer to a Patrick Ewing hire imo. Juwan Howard...the third most famous of the Fab 5...or little Penny who was all over tv...yeah not even close on the famous factor. This is a win imo. I don’t trust bigs to teach basketball lol...give me a guard any day of the week.

Howard behind Rose in terms of fame? I'd say that's pretty much a toss up.

Big step down from the first three to Jackson and King though.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Base salary is $400,000.  He's got commitments to hit before making $2 MILL.  No different than any other new B1G HC. 

Archie got $3.8 out of the gate. Shoot...John Groce was given $3M plus....I don't think I know of another head coach in Big 10 with smaller base contract. 

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Clyde Drexel

Isiah Thomas

Chris Mullin

Patrick Ewing ?

Ewing has been on the job as long as Archie has been at Indiana. If we consider it fair not to judge Archie's results entirely after 2 years, same should apply to Ewing. He hasn't been terrible, but hasn't set the world on fire either.

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Archie got $3.8 out of the gate. Shoot...John Groce was given $3M plus....I don't think I know of another head coach in Big 10 with smaller base contract. 

Not very many B10 jobs get filled with guys that have 0 head coaching experience.

2 hours ago, rico said:

First two names that come to my mind are Larry Brown and Billy Donovan....LOL

Neither of them were star level players.

I'd amend Scott's statement to say that if you were a superstar, it's unlikely you'll be a good coach. Not impossible, but doesn't happen often.

There are exceptions (Joe Torre, Lenny Wilkins, Phil Jackson, etc), but typically, the best coaches/managers were role players. They're the ones that didn't have as much natural ability to fall back on, so they had to learn all the ins and outs, both fundamentals and pushing the boundaries.

49 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Howard behind Rose in terms of fame? I'd say that's pretty much a toss up.

Big step down from the first three to Jackson and King though.

Rose is far more famous because of his tv and radio work. Now Howard had a better career no doubt but even Rose had some pretty big highs especially the finals with the Pacers when he really was our best player. But fame...think Jalen wins hands down...he also wins the hotter wife too lol. Anyways I’m not stressed about the hire...it’s a chance for us to make a move back up in the B1G pecking order.

Archived