Locking Recruit threads after they commit elsewhere

FKIM01

Locking threads when recruits commit at other schools  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in favor of the admins locking threads for recruits committed elsewhere (after a reasonable time like a few hours or a day after they commit)?

• Yes. Get that !%$#!$ off the front page!
    • No. I enjoy wallowing in IU's failure!

Lock them so they naturally plunge off the page over time instead of plunging a bunch of topics. I don't want to click on the all the plunged topics, so I don't know if I missed any posts prior to the plunging.

Took a quick look and due to plunging several page 1 threads are currently on page 2: Caleb Furst, Luke Brown, etc. If others are like me and don't click on plunged threads, then it kind of stops the threads momentum ironically when it is an attempt to do so for another one.

I would leave them open for 24-48 hours for natural comments and then lock them up and they will fall off the page soon enough. It isn’t seeing the thread that is bothersome it’s that people keep digging it up or having a side convo in them causes them to stay at the top of the page.

6 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I like having the threads all unlocked. Maybe lock specific ones that become an "off topic" forum but definitely not all. It's cool when people resurrect threads from 3 years ago for guys we recruited who are transferring, going to the NBA, etc.

I agree all threads should be unlocked as long as they have good discussion.  I don't like plunging because its annoying to click all the threads and I don't want to use the mark all as read button because I might have missed something before the plunger came.  I suppose if someone really can't stand seeing "Keion Brooks commits to Kentucky" then maybe we can do something like an option to block a thread same as blocking a user.

Lock them up and throw away the key.  Start a new one in three years and reference or quote from the old one.  The plungin was funny and useful the first couple of times, but like usual, there is one $&/@ off that has to ruin it.  I don't mean Billingsley either.  He was trying to get rid of the threads by sending them to the second page.  Re-posting in them is annoying. When there is real news about other recruits out there I would like to open the page and be excited to read it.  This back and forth brings nothing but negatives to the board. Please, Mods! Stop the Insanity!

37 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I would leave them open for 24-48 hours for natural comments and then lock them up and they will fall off the page soon enough. It isn’t seeing the thread that is bothersome it’s that people keep digging it up or having a side convo in them causes them to stay at the top of the page.

Agree 100 %

47 minutes ago, dgambill said:

This. Don’t delete them In case the kids recruitment reopens. 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I'd agree with this as well.  Keep the history, but lock em up so they get pushed off the front page.  For that matter, if something changes, I assume threads can also be unlocked if warranted.

Guys,

Keep in mind...

As mods we typically allow more leeway in the off season. The board slows down. Any thread that still has discussion being active is typically worthy of being left open.

The Morton thread turned into a good basketball discussion between boiler and cutter. I see nothing wrong with that, especially this time of year.

I also see the frustration with the path some threads are taking. But trust me, if this time of year we enforced the "stay on topic" mantra on recruiting threads, this place would dry up quickly.

We dont have games to discuss, workouts or anything else. Recruiting news comes in dribs and drabs.

I truly see all sides here. But this is just me trying to explain my point of view as a mod.

Right or wrong, we typically moderate a little differently this time of year.

It is the "plungers vs tumbleweeds" debate.   :)

Archived