Locking Recruit threads after they commit elsewhere

FKIM01

Locking threads when recruits commit at other schools  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in favor of the admins locking threads for recruits committed elsewhere (after a reasonable time like a few hours or a day after they commit)?

• Yes. Get that !%$#!$ off the front page!
    • No. I enjoy wallowing in IU's failure!

4 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Guys,

Keep in mind...

As mods we typically allow more leeway in the off season. The board slows down. Any thread that still has discussion being active is typically worthy of being left open.

The Morton thread turned into a good basketball discussion between boiler and cutter. I see nothing wrong with that, especially this time of year.

I also see the frustration with the path some threads are taking. But trust me, if this time of year we enforced the "stay on topic" mantra on recruiting threads, this place would dry up quickly.

We dont have games to discuss, workouts or anything else. Recruiting news comes in dribs and drabs.

I truly see all sides here. But this is just me trying to explain my point of view as a mod.

Right or wrong, we typically moderate a little differently this time of year.

It is the "plungers vs tumbleweeds" debate.   :)

I fully appreciate how difficult it is to moderate a message board. I don’t think anyone minds productive conversation in a former recruits thread for a time. That said I have no problem with a moderator locking things down and sending convo to off to the animal house once it’s clear there is no more quality in the convo. Guess that passes the buck to you guys but I trust you to know when a thread has worn out it’s welcome or died or quit being useful to lock it up or one that has some value and to keep it open for a few days. Good luck whatever decision you make. This is still the best board on the internet to talk college hoops!

Doesn't matter to me whether old recruit threads stay open or not. But can we please stop the "plunger" posts? If you don't want to read about Keion Brooks or whoever, don't click on it. It's harder to ignore the plunger posts since they are posted on dozens of threads.

As long as HSN has been around locking threads has be looked down on. Only game threads were locked  to move people to the post game thread. Myself I dont find it very hard to not click on a thread I dont want to read. IDK, seems like the easy thing to do. Hell more than half the thread titles now have nothing to do with whats being talked about in the thread. So where would you start locking? By forum rules, every thread is hijacked and should be locked.Oh and the plunger thing is stupid.

So what you're saying is, it doesn't matter what 83% of the membership thinks? 

We're talking about locking a few threads that are no longer relevant to IU basketball.  This has never been about hijacking from my standpoint and there will still be plenty of threads to hijack. The locked threads can still be searched.  If it's burdensome to lock these recruiting threads, fine. I'm not looking to make an unpaid job harder and I'll live with old recruiting threads popping up. I'm just done with them when a recruit is done with IU.

4 hours ago, Indykev said:

Oh and the plunger thing is stupid.

Everyone has different opinions about things on the board, whether it be plungers, off-topic threads, what costitutes a troll, etc.

There is a way to express a difference of opinon.

One way is to simply state you have a different opinion, and explain why.  This approach is non-offensive and normally well received.

Another way is to call something 'stupid'.  That approach is usually not well received and will often result in division among the troops.  This is where we are at today.

We have lost one poster because of overly harsh criticism.  Let's not lose any more.  Everyone needs to just agree to disagree and move on.

30 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Everyone has different opinions about things on the board, whether it be plungers, off-topic threads, what costitutes a troll, etc.

One way is to simply state you have a different opinion, and explain why.  This approach is non-offensive and normally well received.

Another way is to call something 'stupid'.  That approach is usually not well received and will often result in division among the troops.  This is where we are at today.

We have lost one poster because of overly harsh criticism.  Let's not lose any more.  Everyone needs to just agree to disagree and move on.

I did not see anyone calling it stupid but I did say annoying

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Look up four posts and re-read.

I guess I don't see where anyone said it was stupid because this is the 4th post up from yours

6 hours ago, Shooter said:

Doesn't matter to me whether old recruit threads stay open or not. But can we please stop the "plunger" posts? If you don't want to read about Keion Brooks or whoever, don't click on it. It's harder to ignore the plunger posts since they are posted on dozens of threads.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

So what you're saying is, it doesn't matter what 83% of the membership thinks? 

We're talking about locking a few threads that are no longer relevant to IU basketball.  This has never been about hijacking from my standpoint and there will still be plenty of threads to hijack. The locked threads can still be searched.  If it's burdensome to lock these recruiting threads, fine. I'm not looking to make an unpaid job harder and I'll live with old recruiting threads popping up. I'm just done with them when a recruit is done with IU.

I am one member like you. I have 0 say in how the site is ran. Stating my opinion. 

The problem with keeping the thread active is there's a 99.9%chance it is being used for some other debate.   And there is little chance it will ever get back to that recruit(and it shouldn't as that player spurned us for another school).

It would make sense to lock it and create a new thread with whatever the topic has turned to.  Heck the topic probably already has it's own thread.  So locking is decluttering  the site and makes it easier for all.   

Locking a recruit thread isn't about shutting down a debate about something else.   Threads should be about current recruits and not kids that went elsewhere.

Go Hoosiers!!! 

Just now, Indy1987 said:

The problem with keeping the thread active is there's a 99.9%chance it is being used for some other debate.   And there is little chance it will ever get back to that recruit(and it shouldn't as that player spurned us for another school).

It would make sense to lock it and create a new thread with whatever the topic has turned to.  Heck the topic probably already has it's own thread.  So locking is decluttering  the site and makes it easier for all.   

Locking a recruit thread isn't about shutting down a debate about something else.   Threads should be about current recruits and not kids that went elsewhere.

Go Hoosiers!!! 

I don't see that big of a deal when things get off topic especially in the off season

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I will keep that in mind.

59 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't see that big of a deal when things get off topic especially in the off season

Just looks 'stupid' to have a thread titled about a recruit that spurned us.  And then the topic having nothing to do with the recruit.  Seeing the former recruit names... it's like them giving us the bird if you ask me. 

If I go to the store to buy a ummm... adult magazine(I haven't in a long time btw) and then I go home and open it to find someone had replaced the inside with Better Homes and Gardens I'm going to be a little frustrated(in more ways than one).  

Go Hoosiers!!!

My only issue with keeping them active other then the arbitrary hijinks going on in them is yes I will read any new updates to see if there is a change or info why the kid didn’t choose us and it’s inevitably useless banter but most importantly it pushes other viable threads down. I’m not trying to tell anyone how to run the place by God I appreciate all the hard work by those that do it but one way to moderate the board easier is to have less threads to moderate. Once a thread is dead (recruit signed elsewhere) why go to all the work to continue clean up a thread that has no use and create more work for yourself. Close it and move on to the healthy threads and it also keeps those alive at the top where it is easier to find and update when news comes out. I just find that it’s primarily the same half dozen people posting about the same 3 or 4 things in every thread (Archie’s poor recruiting/coaching/millinials/today’s athletes/cheating/catsup/fishing etc) and it’s in every thread then at least killing the threads that serve no purpose anymore would allow mods more time to focus on the important threads when they need moderating. Anyways....again love the board will continue to read it regardless...just my free advice. Lol I believe people come here for the quality of the information...not the number of active threads the place has.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

My only issue with keeping them active other then the arbitrary hijinks going on in them is yes I will read any new updates to see if there is a change or info why the kid didn’t choose us and it’s inevitably useless banter but most importantly it pushes other viable threads down. I’m not trying to tell anyone how to run the place by God I appreciate all the hard work by those that do it but one way to moderate the board easier is to have less threads to moderate. Once a thread is dead (recruit signed elsewhere) why go to all the work to continue clean up a thread that has no use and create more work for yourself. Close it and move on to the healthy threads and it also keeps those alive at the top where it is easier to find and update when news comes out. I just find that it’s primarily the same half dozen people posting about the same 3 or 4 things in every thread (Archie’s poor recruiting/coaching/millinials/today’s athletes/cheating/catsup/fishing etc) and it’s in every thread then at least killing the threads that serve no purpose anymore would allow mods more time to focus on the important threads when they need moderating. Anyways....again love the board will continue to read it regardless...just my free advice. Lol I believe people come here for the quality of the information...not the number of active threads the place has.

I agree people come here for the quality of content and informed basketball discussion.

However, it is also a social thing for many people. Many here are considered on line "friends".

And honestly, the random, off the cuff conversation (even way silly) is a part of what drives folks here. That is evident in the off season. The majority of our posts this time of year are from folks who have messed around here in the off season for years. And yes, it can be stuff way out of left field.

I do appreciate your thoughtful post, really.

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 2:17 PM, dgambill said:

This post was awesome

I think a huge gain from locking old threads would be that people (like me) who don't research recruits all day, would know which new recruits to get excited about sooner. Let's be honest, some of these players add IU at the last minute to get hype and views for their commitments.  I am tired of getting on for days after a commitment, and seeing all the posts going on in a guys thread we had no chance at ever getting. 

I personally want to be able to get on, and see conversations in the Anthony leal thread, a guy who I'm not that familiar with because I don't live in Indiana anymore, as opposed to: (Archie’s poor recruiting/coaching/millinials/today’s athletes/cheating/catsup/fishing etc) as dgambill listed above lol.  I know it sounds weird that this is preventing me from looking at him, but when I log on and see "HOT Lester Quinones" thread for 3 days in a row after he went to Memphis, and no other thread with a recent update, I log right back off and move on with my day.  I'm busy, and don't have time to sort through all of the "last update Wednesday" recruits.

Also, I'm not sure why this is looked down upon.  There is some value in locking up these threads, and it's clear almost 80% of us want it, and I have a feeling the reasoning is similar to what I just explained.  Thanks for reading.

14 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

I think a huge gain from locking old threads would be that people (like me) who don't research recruits all day, would know which new recruits to get excited about sooner. Let's be honest, some of these players add IU at the last minute to get hype and views for their commitments.  I am tired of getting on for days after a commitment, and seeing all the posts going on in a guys thread we had no chance at ever getting. 

I personally want to be able to get on, and see conversations in the Anthony leal thread, a guy who I'm not that familiar with because I don't live in Indiana anymore, as opposed to: (Archie’s poor recruiting/coaching/millinials/today’s athletes/cheating/catsup/fishing etc) as dgambill listed above lol.  I know it sounds weird that this is preventing me from looking at him, but when I log on and see "HOT Lester Quinones" thread for 3 days in a row after he went to Memphis, and no other thread with a recent update, I log right back off and move on with my day.  I'm busy, and don't have time to sort through all of the "last update Wednesday" recruits.

Also, I'm not sure why this is looked down upon.  There is some value in locking up these threads, and it's clear almost 80% of us want it, and I have a feeling the reasoning is similar to what I just explained.  Thanks for reading.

I think it takes a little work but if all of us do our best to add to the active threads with any relevant information we can come up with we make it better for everyone. If it goes a week or so with no news I usually go out and try to find out what I can...then post what I find. Might not be anything substantial but at least it keeps the threads fresh and on topic hopefully lol.

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

70-18 for locking, and the Keion Brooks thread remains open.  The Electoral College must really be out of whack in this vote.  :coffee:

Well whomever has balls enough to post in it will likely face the ban hammer...so I’m not worried lol.

Archived