10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Did Koepka win this thing on the first day?  He may have done so.

He certainly showed his grit. Guy doesn't flinch. When I was watching earlier he was rolling everything perfect speed, zero mistakes. I played this course years ago and it was the best 97 of my life. With that said long ways to go. You miss 2 fairways and that lead is gone. 10, 12, 15, and 7 are just beasts. Feels like we get 2 US Opens this year. 

16 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

No lead is ever safe at Bethpage Black

Seems like Danny Lee's flirting with top hit an immediate stop this morning. Although Dustin and surprisingly Spieth in top 5. I agree all day. No lead is safe but if Brooks goes out there and throws a 65 up today....I won't say shades of Tiger at Pebble Beach but in the neighborhood.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Seems like Danny Lee's flirting with top hit an immediate stop this morning. Although Dustin and surprisingly Spieth in top 5. I agree all day. No lead is safe but if Brooks goes out there and throws a 65 up today....I won't say shades of Tiger at Pebble Beach but in the neighborhood.

I'd say very in the neighborhood.  2002, Tiger only opened 67-68 at Bethpage Black, and that was Tiger in his prime. 

Aside: Mentioning the '00 Open got me thinking back to the Tiger Slam and holy hell....US Open at Pebble, British Open at the Old Course, PGA at Valhalla and The Masters.  I don't know if anyone has ever played as well during a 12 month period than Tiger did during that stretch. 

I'm in this fanduel contest for PGA with  a group of 100. Highest number (besides Tiger) i've seen. 90% of participants took Koepka this week. I'm not saying it's over but it's very, very close. Only thing that gets thing close is if Brooks has 74 or so and one of the guys like DJ, Rose or Spieth throw a 65 up today. Otherwise Sunday could be bad for TV ratings because this thing will 1) Be over and 2) No Tiger

Crowds will be a subject some will be discussing. With Dustin charging and Brooks melting the crowds at 17 started yelling right in the middle of DJ's swing. Even Faldo mentioned it. On the heels of his bogey at 16 he nuked that shot and added another bogey. 

I love rowdy. I love active and excited crowds.....just let the guys finish their shot before having to scream. 

Archived