Romeo Langford Combine Comments

Also isn't it a good thing if you are a high caliber player to be picked later in the draft? The reason being is that you are shooting for the second contract as quickly as possible. Would it be better to be on a playoff team and learn through that experience for a couple years before taking over and becoming a leader vs being thrown out there expecting as a rookie to post top 5 player numbers and leading the team to the playoffs as a rookie? Then always being seen as a let down until you produce? Just was wondering those thoughts. I hope GMs are scared off and the Pacers somehow miraculously land Romeo.

5 hours ago, ButlerHoosier said:

Also isn't it a good thing if you are a high caliber player to be picked later in the draft? The reason being is that you are shooting for the second contract as quickly as possible. Would it be better to be on a playoff team and learn through that experience for a couple years before taking over and becoming a leader vs being thrown out there expecting as a rookie to post top 5 player numbers and leading the team to the playoffs as a rookie? Then always being seen as a let down until you produce? Just was wondering those thoughts. I hope GMs are scared off and the Pacers somehow miraculously land Romeo.

It depends on how you define “high caliber”? It also depends on the perspective you’re looking at it from, and from your post it sounds like to me you’re looking at it from the players perspective, not the teams?

If you think you’re an All-Star level player, then you want to go to a team where you can be on the court the most. No team is expecting a rookie to lead a team to the playoffs. Nobody is expecting Ayton, Doncic, Williamson or RJ Barrett to lead their team to the playoffs for at least a few seasons. 

So the best way for the elite player to make the most in their second contract is too be on the court, play a lot of minutes and be a focal point on his franchise.

Now take a guy like OG for example, his ceiling is probably starter in the NBA, not an elite player or all-star, but if he develops he’s a guy that can start on a good team. A guy like that probably does benefit from being drafted later in the first round and being developed in a well-run organization that knows how to bring guys along and put them in positions to be successful. 

54 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Now take a guy like OG for example, his ceiling is probably starter in the NBA, not an elite player or all-star, but if he develops he’s a guy that can start on a good team. A guy like that probably does benefit from being drafted later in the first round and being developed in a well-run organization that knows how to bring guys along and put them in positions to be successful. 

Like the Knicks? 

Haha, I kid.

OG is a really interesting player / case. He looked extremely good -- future all-star level good imo -- his rookie season. There was a fair amount of talk and recognition.Then they brought in Kawhi and Siakam developed into an impact player and right now OG seems like kind of an after-thought. But I am one who thinks his ceiling is future all-star.

If he stays healthy, he already has the outside shot (37% his rookie season, .57 eFG, regressed this season, in fewer games), elite athleticism, he's a two-way player / lock-down defensive player, and is already good at getting to the rim. I'd love to have him on my team. 

I wonder if he'll end up leaving Toronto, assuming Kawhi stays (at this point I think it's more likely than not that Kawhi stays). 

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Like the Knicks? 

Haha, I kid.

OG is a really interesting player / case. He looked extremely good -- future all-star level good imo -- his rookie season. There was a fair amount of talk and recognition.Then they brought in Kawhi and Siakam developed into an impact player and right now OG seems like kind of an after-thought. But I am one who thinks his ceiling is future all-star.

If he stays healthy, he already has the outside shot (37% his rookie season, .57 eFG, regressed this season, in fewer games), elite athleticism, he's a two-way player / lock-down defensive player, and is already good at getting to the rim. I'd love to have him on my team. 

I wonder if he'll end up leaving Toronto, assuming Kawhi stays (at this point I think it's more likely than not that Kawhi stays). 

I'd love to have him on my team too. This was a tough season for him, you mentioned the Kawhi acquisition and Siakim developing, and OG was also hit with some personal issues (I think that's what Toronto called them?) and nagging injuries that made it tough for him to get into a rhythm. 

13 hours ago, ButlerHoosier said:

Pacers should've drafted OG. If Romeo lands on their lap, they should do the same. I don't think he will though. He's the prototypical two guard in today's NBA. He'll most likely never be a knock down three point shooter, but he has the skills to be average+. Same with defense. His size etc. are exactly what teams want.

1 hour ago, OGIUAndy said:

Pacers should've drafted OG. If Romeo lands on their lap, they should do the same. I don't think he will though. He's the prototypical two guard in today's NBA. He'll most likely never be a knock down three point shooter, but he has the skills to be average+. Same with defense. His size etc. are exactly what teams want.

Pacers at least conceivably might still get OG. Imagine Vic and OG on the floor together...

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Pacers at least conceivably might still get OG. Imagine Vic and OG on the floor together...

I definitely think Toronto won’t keep him even if Leonard goes with Paskal in house..would be nice to see OG come home but no matter he will have opportunities anywhere he goes.

7 hours ago, BGleas said:

I'd love to have him on my team too. This was a tough season for him, you mentioned the Kawhi acquisition and Siakim developing, and OG was also hit with some personal issues (I think that's what Toronto called them?) and nagging injuries that made it tough for him to get into a rhythm. 

Also had a difficult appendectomy that took over three hours two days before Toronto's postseason began.

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

Also had a difficult appendectomy that took over three hours two days before Toronto's postseason began.

That sucks. He’s had a hard year — But I doubt Toronto has just forgotten what he did his rookie season. Going to be interesting to see what happens with Toronto and OG next season 

Archived