So who’s left for us to look at!

OLDIUFAN

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope he stays healthy! I can’t wait to watch him play! Hey I am not one of those that think we are going into next season totally helpless. Just have some unknown things. Like will Hunter be as good as advertised. Can Green find a consistent shot and not be a turnover machine. Can RP, AD, improve they’re shot. Can Franklin shoot. Can Race, DD, TD, an JS play together and be solid on offense. I feel they all can, just would have like to grab someone we know could score.

Looking at the 2020 class I would even look at transfers who would have to sit out for a year because I don't see that 2020 class as impactful.  I would loved for us to look at the Hauser brothers from Marquette because they both would be better than anyone we are recruiting in 2020.

35 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I heard we have a great shooter coming in this year from Ohio...kid named Jerome Hunter.

Let us hope he plays. I would be nice to have another shooter if he does not because then we are left with a big hole. That being said I think it is safe to say 2019 is over for recruiting. We just could not land anyone this spring. Lets hope we are done recruiting by next spring at this time with our players already signed. 

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Looking at the 2020 class I would even look at transfers who would have to sit out for a year because I don't see that 2020 class as impactful.  I would loved for us to look at the Hauser brothers from Marquette because they both would be better than anyone we are recruiting in 2020.

I don't think they have any interest is us Scott or they would have us listed. I think they want Virginia or Michigan State. 

1 minute ago, Bedford1432 said:

I don't think they have any interest is us Scott or they would have us listed. I think they want Virginia or Michigan State. 

I never said they were interested but said I wished we went after them and I thought UW was another team they are interested in

Strange things can happen over a summer. First...player development. Right now I'm certain we have several who are working like crazy to show they deserve major minutes next year. Second....a grad transfer can come out of nowhere. Third...sometimes a kid can reclassify. We've missed on a few but I like having some bullets left in the chamber if one of the last two situations happen. I mean Max Bielfeldt didn't transfer to IU until early June. 

I don’t think Archie is looking at anymore transfers. It’s not as easy to bring a kid in that doesn’t know our system and get them up to speed in one summer. Doesn’t mean we won’t take kids but I think they have to fit what we are doing. I don’t know what the issue is with going into the season down a couple scholarships...not like we played everyone last year anyways and we had tons of injuries. Maybe practice could be an issue but finding playing time is hard enough.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I never said they were interested but said I wished we went after them and I thought UW was another team they are interested in

All I am saying is we probably did try and go after them and they were not interested. We have no way of knowing but I am sure we reached out. 

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don’t think Archie is looking at anymore transfers. It’s not as easy to bring a kid in that doesn’t know our system and get them up to speed in one summer. Doesn’t mean we won’t take kids but I think they have to fit what we are doing. I don’t know what the issue is with going into the season down a couple scholarships...not like we played everyone last year anyways and we had tons of injuries. Maybe practice could be an issue but finding playing time is hard enough.

We gotta pray we do not have injuries like last year or we will be playing several walk - ons at a time. 

21 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I want depth because I don’t want to hear anymore that we can’t run PRACTICE the way the coach wanted because we were so short on bodies we didn’t even Have ten to scrimmage. That’s why I want to use scholarships if we are sitting in them for at least a grad transfer that will only be here a year. Depth and completion is always a plus but idc if they never play in a game just help practice.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/uw/2019/05/17/hauser-brothers-decision-expected-soon-wisconsin-still-looks-likely/3706967002/

13 minutes ago, Bedford1432 said:

We gotta pray we do not have injuries like last year or we will be playing several walk - ons at a time. 

All I know is we had more injuries than I can remember last year and we still had guys like Moore and Forrester get virtually no playing time. If we have injuries to Rob or Hunter we would be in trouble but I don’t see us having as many injuries as we had last year...but I do fear injuries at key positions.

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

Deleted

A real problem with the interface on the system we use for HSN.  Can hit post. And nothing happens.  Need to just let it go, and trust that it will get posted eventually.  I have run into this problem more times than I can recall. It is a situation.  Again. Once one hits posts... let it sit. 

3 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I want depth because I don’t want to hear anymore that we can’t run PRACTICE the way the coach wanted because we were so short on bodies we didn’t even Have ten to scrimmage. That’s why I want to use scholarships if we are sitting in them for at least a grad transfer that will only be here a year. Depth and completion is always a plus but idc if they never play in a game just help practice.

I don’t see a grad transfer coming just to practice. But I agree we need to be able to run practice...good thing about IU is we should have good walk ons in this state.

8 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

I'd say it is 90% likely IU's roster is set. A pair of names came my way but that was two weeks ago and I have no update on what is happening. 

It can be risky to go into a season with 11 scholarship players (10 + Hunter, really). But, those who know the staff and how they operate and how they think know this isn't a big issue to them. So, I won't pretend it's a big issue to me. 

Correct me if I am wrong, Coach. As I respect your knowledge and and input on matters of this type. But I seem to recall early on, when Coach Miller stated he did not believe in using all of the scholarships available.  Saying that the one's at the end would not offer much, and could be a detriment in terms of team chemistry, when they carped about playing time.   That's what I though was his philosophy when he came to IU.  Though I don't totally argee with it. I can see where he is coming from when he says he is not hot on filling out a full compliment of scholarships.... just to fill them out, each and every year.

2 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

@milehiiuI believe at Huber Farms, and pretty regularly elsewhere, he used the phrase (paraphrasing) "It's hard to keep 13 guys happy..."

I think a lot of the fanbase (not you, for clarity) are still getting used to a coach who can build a program and improve what he has. It's been a while...

I would love to see us using 12 scholarships and in a ideal world you have 3 per class but in today's world that is not realistic.  I wish we can get to a point where we can redshirt a player or two a year because it is better to have that extra year at the end than barely play a player as a freshman.

5 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

I agree. I think Kansas last season (2017-18) was redshirting three guys (via transfers in) and that was way too much. But, I think the staff would be totally comfortable bringing in 3-4 every year and redshirting a kid probably every other season or so. 

"We want to get old." - Archie. 

It takes time to get there. His first two classes I've really liked. And 2020 and 2021 could be very good as well. Just takes time to build something sustainable and worthy. 

I just see how UW used redshirting helped them over the years especially with their big men

Archived