So who’s left for us to look at!

OLDIUFAN

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m not joking when I say I wonder if a European or Aussie or Argentinian could fall out of the sky.  The guard from Texas Tech came out of Italy pretty late as I recall.  Sean Miller has worked abroad.  Maybe Archie has a contact or two.  

As Rico could tell you, Andrew Gaze came out of Australia and burned us in 1989.  

13 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m not joking when I say I wonder if a European or Aussie or Argentinian could fall out of the sky.  The guard from Texas Tech came out of Italy pretty late as I recall.  Sean Miller has worked abroad.  Maybe Archie has a contact or two.  

As Rico could tell you, Andrew Gaze came out of Australia and burned us in 1989.  

I’m actually pretty sure that Moretti kid took a visit to IU before committing to Texas Tech.  I know Archie was looking at him at the very least.

18 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Dang Pirates!

56 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Now this is something I could absolutely get behind. Seems forever since we had a good foreign player at IU. I’m sure someone will go down the list but I would love a pipeline to Europe...no reason Michigan and Gonzaga etc should get them all. Somewhere there is a Gianis or Dirk waiting to be found. Let’s go IU!!!  

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Now this is something I could absolutely get behind. Seems forever since we had a good foreign player at IU. I’m sure someone will go down the list but I would love a pipeline to Europe...no reason Michigan and Gonzaga etc should get them all. Somewhere there is a Gianis or Dirk waiting to be found. Let’s go IU!!!  

Actually, I can only come up with 3.  Uwe, Magnus, and Ben(?).  

6 minutes ago, rico said:

It just came to me....Ben Allen.  He was an Aussie.  

Wasn’t there a big man that played for Knight in the late 90s...Mujinovich or something..like from Serbia or something?

edit...never mind...played HS ball in America...guess I thought from his name he was brought over but he was already here even though he was born over seas....see this is why I leave it to the experts like Rico!

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Wasn’t there a big man that played for Knight in the late 90s...Mujinovich or something..like from Serbia or something?

edit...never mind...played HS ball in America...guess I thought from his name he was brought over but he was already here even though he was born over seas....see this is why I leave it to the experts like Rico!

Haris Mujezinovic,  yeah I think he played in Chicago.  Not sure of his roots.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Bosnia ..I was wrong again. Anyways we are overdue for another I would say! Lol

Well that is close!!!!!  LOL  But yeah, we could use another one.  Magnus Pelkowski would have taken Fitzner to school this past season.

The Flyers played most of the 2014–15 season with arguably the most limited roster in Division I men's basketball. Before the start of the season, one player was declared academically ineligible, one was lost for the season to a knee injury, and another ended his playing career on medical advice due to post-concussion symptoms. In December, two more players were dismissed from the team after having been charged with theft. This left the Flyers with only six players who began the season on scholarship; in addition, no player on the remaining roster, whether on scholarship or a walk-on, was taller than 6'6" (1.98 m).[3]

These departures and injuries left Dayton with arguably the most limited roster, in both depth and physical size, in Division I. The Flyers played the bulk of their season with only six players who started the season on scholarships. In January 2015, Bobby Wehrli, who had begun the season as a walk-on, was given a scholarship, but only for the spring of 2015.[3] No one left on the active roster, whether on scholarship or not, was taller than 6'6" (1.98 m).[2][3] CBS Sports journalist Gary Parrish had this to say about the Flyers' roster limitations (emphasis in original):

"To put this into perspective, consider that Kentucky has seven scholarship players taller than 6-8, and that UK's starting backcourt (Andrew Harrison and Aaron Harrison) is just as tall as Dayton's starting frontcourt (Dyshawn Pierre and Kendall Pollard)."[2]

Despite these roster limitations, the Flyers finished 27–9 overall and 13–5 in A-10 play, ending in a tie for second place in the league. They advanced to the championship game of the A-10 Tournament where they lost to VCU. They received an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament where they defeated Boise State in the First Four and Providence in the Second Round. They lost to #3 seeded Oklahoma in the Third Round.

At this point, unless we find that ketchup we lost, id say lets go with what we've got.  No sense trying to bring in a guy that has put up similar numbers at a more than likely smaller school that would have to learn on the fly.  

I know we lost our 2 best players, we presumably have guys on the team that should be able to make up the numbers we lost looking at it from a money ball-ish point of view.

29 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Two shooting guards who have yet to commit that maybe we should look at:

-Jaevin Cumberland-Oakland--17.2 ppg. 3.5 apg, 39.9% from 3's

-Donte Fitzpatrick Dorsey--Tennessee St. --14.3 ppg, 38.1% from 3's

No other shooting guards that I see out there that would fill our need.

After doing some looking, apparently Cumberland is down to Michigan (no mention of how the coaching change will affect that...Beilein was the one who offered), Purdue, and Oregon. Said he's making a decision soon.

Fitzpatrick-Dorsey transferred from Ole Miss to Tenn St, and was suspended mid-year for a violation of team rules...no mention of who's in on him, but proceed with caution.

Just now, 3Ballin said:

At this point, unless we find that ketchup we lost, id say lets go with what we've got.  No sense trying to bring in a guy that has put up similar numbers at a more than likely smaller school that would have to learn on the fly.  

I know we lost our 2 best players, we presumably have guys on the team that should be able to make up the numbers we lost looking at it from a money ball-ish point of view.

I don't see how it would hurt to bring in a grad transfer since they will only be here a year.  If they can come in a produce at a high level then great but if they just in and contribute a little that is fine as well.

2 hours ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

The Flyers played most of the 2014–15 season with arguably the most limited roster in Division I men's basketball. Before the start of the season, one player was declared academically ineligible, one was lost for the season to a knee injury, and another ended his playing career on medical advice due to post-concussion symptoms. In December, two more players were dismissed from the team after having been charged with theft. This left the Flyers with only six players who began the season on scholarship; in addition, no player on the remaining roster, whether on scholarship or a walk-on, was taller than 6'6" (1.98 m).[3]

These departures and injuries left Dayton with arguably the most limited roster, in both depth and physical size, in Division I. The Flyers played the bulk of their season with only six players who started the season on scholarships. In January 2015, Bobby Wehrli, who had begun the season as a walk-on, was given a scholarship, but only for the spring of 2015.[3] No one left on the active roster, whether on scholarship or not, was taller than 6'6" (1.98 m).[2][3] CBS Sports journalist Gary Parrish had this to say about the Flyers' roster limitations (emphasis in original):

"To put this into perspective, consider that Kentucky has seven scholarship players taller than 6-8, and that UK's starting backcourt (Andrew Harrison and Aaron Harrison) is just as tall as Dayton's starting frontcourt (Dyshawn Pierre and Kendall Pollard)."[2]

Despite these roster limitations, the Flyers finished 27–9 overall and 13–5 in A-10 play, ending in a tie for second place in the league. They advanced to the championship game of the A-10 Tournament where they lost to VCU. They received an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament where they defeated Boise State in the First Four and Providence in the Second Round. They lost to #3 seeded Oklahoma in the Third Round.

It is this seasons example that continues to be in my mind. I continue to think that if a group of players just trust him and do everything that he asks them to do they can achieve success.It is this seasons example that continues to be in my mind. I continue to think that if a group of players just trust him and do everything that he asks them to do they can achieve success. And that is why I continue to go back to the fact that I think the lack of team chemistry and problems amongst the players was the main culprit of the seasons disaster.

Archived