Just for fun, Things only people who lived in the decades will remember. The 70's and the 80's

Funny thing I saw in the past few days.  A video on You Tube. Of teenagers trying to figure out how to use a rotary phone.

Keep in mind that I grew up when we had party lines.  And my parents were excited when we went from a five party line to just two, and then eventually one.

As far as the 70's... I recall dial up for the internet. 

(14) 17 year olds dial a rotary phone.

28 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Funny thing I saw in the past few days.  A video on You Tube. Of teenagers trying to figure out how to use a rotary phone.

Keep in mind that I grew up when we had party lines.  And my parents were excited when we went from a five party line to just two, and then eventually one.

As far as the 70's... I recall dial up for the internet. 

(14) 17 year olds dial a rotary phone.

So were you one of those stalkers, that quietly picked up the phone and listened in to your neighbors conversations? 😜

To be honest, if there was an attractive neighbor girl my age, I probably would have been one of them !😄

22 minutes ago, rico said:

"Charlie's Angels".....nuff said

True story, we were skiing at Aspen, (late 70s) and my friend said as he was setting off on a run, he saw Cheryl Ladd riding up on the chair lift! She would be my third favorite! 

19 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

So who was your favorite? While the show was on Jaclyn was my favorite, but as time went on Farrah became my favorite! Too bad life took her way to early! 

Kate Jackson.........meow!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

https://bestlifeonline.com/1970s-nostalgia/

https://bestlifeonline.com/1980s-nostalgia/

I was surprised how much I remembered of the 80's because I always said I tried to forget the 80s, because to me they were such a let down after the awesome 60s and 70s!

Love the lists, especially the 1970's one.  I could kick some butt playing Simon.  

70’s

- taking a pencil and putting it in the little holes of your 8 track to try to untangle the tape 

- instead of a power point presentation, dropping slides into a carousel, hoping that they don’t project backwards or get stuck 

- Tab before Diet Coke 

- not taking offense to anything Archie Bunker said 

- watching Wide World of Sports for barrel jumping, cliff diving, but also the only place that showed what we now call the “Olympic sports “

- sitting in the 3rd row seats of the station wagon, facing backwards with no seat belts and giving no thought that if your dad ran into anything substantial while  going a decent speed, that you were flying through the rear window

- K-tel sponsoring shows where you could hear live music and watch a bunch of people with no inhibitions make Elaine Benes look graceful on the dance floor 

- staying up until 11:30 with your friends, no matter how much you had imbibed on Friday and Saturday to watch the magic that was live comedy on SNL, and the genius of Akroyd, Belushi and the gang

11 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

- sitting in the 3rd row seats of the station wagon, facing backwards with no seat belts and giving no thought that if your dad ran into anything substantial while  going a decent speed, that you were flying through the rear window

The one defense to that is that Short of military transport trucks or large ocean going vessels, there wasn't much that a 70s wagon wasn't going to go over or through.

And God forbid your grandparents had one of the really big land barges, like a Buick Deuce and a Quarter. You could fit 2 kids into the rear dashboard of those for extended periods of time.....or so I've heard.

Ah the 70s...

The "gentleman's clubs" on 38th St in Indy...My favorites were Dick's Harem House and 38th St Bar

The Indiana version of a New York discotheque...A steak house in Franklin that stopped serving New York Strips at 9, and started serving "Disco Inferno" at 10.

Black AND white dudes with Afros

Keeping a matchbook handy for when your 8 track wasn't tracking right

Henry Lee Summer at th he Banyan Tree in Greenwood on "$1 Floater (1/2 shot of Crown with a half shot of peppermint schnapps)  Night."

John Cougar at the Artcraft Theater in Franklin

Riding around (50 cent a gallon gas be damned)

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Ah the 70s...

The "gentleman's clubs" on 38th St in Indy...My favorites were Dick's Harem House and 38th St Bar

The Indiana version of a New York discotheque...A steak house in Franklin that stopped serving New York Strips at 9, and started serving "Disco Inferno" at 10.

Black AND white dudes with Afros

Keeping a matchbook handy for when your 8 track wasn't tracking right

Henry Lee Summer at th he Banyan Tree in Greenwood on "$1 Floater (1/2 shot of Crown with a half shot of peppermint schnapps)  Night."

John Cougar at the Artcraft Theater in Franklin

Riding around (50 cent a gallon gas be damned)

I spent many evenings at Dick's drinking Harvey Wallbangers. 

I didn't live through the 70's and most of the 80's, born in 85.  But my Grammas house was vintage.  Watched movies on a betamax with console tv, made calls on a rotary phone.  Shag carpet and hideous furniture.  She owned a pristine 1968 F150 two tone red and grey.  Her house looked like Reds house from the 70's show which my grandpa built himself.  

I never experienced Pepsi free but is one of the best scenes from Back to the Future.  

Walking in on grandma and her neighbor while grandpa was at work.

Realizing that was not a cigarette my 8th grade science teacher was smoking in his pickup truck after school.

'Enjoying' getting up at 6 a.m. every Saturday morning in late summer and early fall and spending hours helping my dad cut and haul wood after dad decided to install a wood burning stove in our family room in order to save about 30 dollars a month on heating bills.  Of course, since we did not have any wooded area on our property, we had to drive 15 miles to my grandparent's.  Dad never seemed to make the connection that he was burning up as much money in gasoline driving back and forth than he was saving on the monthly heating bill.  

How about actually going outside and playing with your friends all day long during summer vacation.   We would get up eat breakfast and head out for the day which usually consisted  a bunch of kids coming to my house and playing baseball in my back yard.  We had a huge back yard and one year me and my brother who is 9 year solder than me and  bunch of our friends built a baseball field in our back yard.  Centerfield was almost 300 ft and we built a fence out of 2 x4 and string and we made baselines as well.  Some days we had enough kids to play 9 on 9 baseball and it was so much fun. We played throughout the day until lunch and everyone went home and then came back in the after noon to play more baseball or basketball.

Even after dark we would get together and played hide and seek but we called it slips and we used our whole neighborhood as boundaries.  That was usually about 3 blocks by 3 blocks and we were not afraid to go into the neighbors yard after dark because we knew everyone since it was a very small town.

Today you just don't see kids getting out and playing in some ones back yard or you don't see many kids going to the park and playing pickup basketball like you did back in our time.

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Even after dark we would get together and played hide and seek but we called it slips and we used our whole neighborhood as boundaries.  That was usually about 3 blocks by 3 blocks and we were not afraid to go into the neighbors yard after dark because we knew everyone since it was a very small town.

We played slips in Martinsville too. Sometimes 10-15 people only we restricted it to 1 block

Archived