Assistant coach leaves Memphis & Penny Hardaway

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — Memphis coach Penny Hardaway says former NBA coach of the year Sam Mitchell is no longer part of his staff.

Mitchell worked as an assistant coach for Memphis in 2018-19 during Hardaway’s debut season. Hardaway said Tuesday at a news conference that Mitchell has “decided to go in another direction.”

23 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — Memphis coach Penny Hardaway says former NBA coach of the year Sam Mitchell is no longer part of his staff.

Mitchell worked as an assistant coach for Memphis in 2018-19 during Hardaway’s debut season. Hardaway said Tuesday at a news conference that Mitchell has “decided to go in another direction.”

Fake quote I wish were in the story:

"He got tired of being paid less than the players," said Hardaway.  :snack:

That’s big news! Sam Mitchell is actually a heck of a coach....it wasn’t just Miller and Penny kids came to play for..Sams teaching was a huge part of it.

29 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Fake quote I wish were in the story:

"He got tired of being paid less than the players," said Hardaway.  :snack:

Remember Sam with the Pacers, I wonder which recruit's Dad got the job?  

10 minutes ago, rico said:

Remember Sam with the Pacers, I wonder which recruit's Dad got the job?  

Sam did a hell of a job in Toronto...coach of the year...he is a good coach and I think this will be a huge sideline blow to their in game and preparation. I doubt Penny wanted him to go...me thinks Sam had better opportunities.

6 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

A cool footnote on Sam, he was one of those first 5 draft picks in that crazy ‘84 draft, the last draft until this year where the top 5 picks made the NBA all rookie first team — Olajuwon, Bowie, MJ, Perkins, Barkley 

You might be confusing him with someone else.  From Sam's Wiki page.

Then he was drafted by the Houston Rockets with the 7th pick of the 3rd round (54th overall) in the 1985 NBA draft.

Or maybe Penny is using his assistant positions this way. He's saying I'll bring you in but if you don't deliver recruits you won't be around. It does seem odd he's leaving after 1 year but whatever....Penny just signed 2 top 10 guys and 4 4 star players and has the #1 recruiting class in the country. Whatever they might be doing is working. Gray area or not I'll have some of that please. 

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

You might be confusing him with someone else.  From Sam's Wiki page.

Then he was drafted by the Houston Rockets with the 7th pick of the 3rd round (54th overall) in the 1985 NBA draft.

Uh, no.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_1984.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_NBA_draft

what on Earth were you looking at? Did you really think Big Smooth was a 54th pick and in 1985?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Perkins

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Or maybe Penny is using his assistant positions this way. He's saying I'll bring you in but if you don't deliver recruits you won't be around. It does seem odd he's leaving after 1 year but whatever....Penny just signed 2 top 10 guys and 4 4 star players and has the #1 recruiting class in the country. Whatever they might be doing is working. Gray area or not I'll have some of that please. 

Obviously can’t complain about the results. Heck he even went 22-14 last year with a bad team. That said I’ve heard many people talk about Sam being instrumental among recruits. He has this year in the fold but I have to wonder...how important Sam was..when it comes to Xs and Os and development...I bet more than most realize.

This is a great video of Sam.  He says what the players need to hear.

"If you go to Houston, they have James Harden.  You think the coach is going to give you the f***ing basketball?  You better learn to screen, cut, and play without the basketball.  Right?"

Does IU have anyone like this on staff?  We should.

Archived