Juwan Howard to Michigan

I thought this would end up needing it's own thread, so here we go...

His base salary of $400,000 and added incentives could net him $2 million potentially. 

The fact that he’s getting paid a little bit more this time around is justified. 😜

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

I thought this would end up needing it's own thread, so here we go...

His base salary of $400,000 and added incentives could net him $2 million potentially. 

The fact that he’s getting paid a little bit more this time around is justified. 😜

For someone that never even won a B1G title they sure are building him up. Must be a lot of Michigan grads at ESPN..I mean they are already to hang a banner. At least he would earn the pay this time.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

For someone that never even won a B1G title they sure are building him up. Must be a lot of Michigan grads at ESPN..I mean they are already to hang a banner. At least he would earn the pay this time.

Right! Hey, we might as well not even show up next season... 🤷🏻‍♂️

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Hanging a banner?  So they can take it back down?

1 minute ago, rico said:

Hanging a banner?  So they can take it back down?

ESPN was crying saying that the first thing he should do is hang them back up because they earned the school enough money they deserved to have been paid and should never lost them to begin with....if that doesn’t tell you how far college basketball has fallen I don’t know what does...no wonder we will never catch back up to those other blue bloods...we aren’t even playing the same game as everyone else.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

ESPN was crying saying that the first thing he should do is hang them back up because they earned the school enough money they deserved to have been paid and should never lost them to begin with....if that doesn’t tell you how far college basketball has fallen I don’t know what does...no wonder we will never catch back up to those other blue bloods...we aren’t even playing the same game as everyone else.

Isn't that the NCAA's decision?  Did I just say that?  OMG.  Another beer here paleeze.

12 minutes ago, rico said:

Isn't that the NCAA's decision?  Did I just say that?  OMG.  Another beer here paleeze.

You are cracking me up!!! I suppose so but isn’t ESPN the marketing wing of the NCAA?? Lol

i wonder what they would do if they hung them up? Fine them? Would be funny.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

You are cracking me up!!! I suppose so but isn’t ESPN the marketing wing of the NCAA?? Lol

i wonder what they would do if they hung them up? Fine them? Would be funny.

I don't know what to say...I am still waiting on that beer!!!!!!!!!

13 minutes ago, rico said:

I don't know what to say...I am still waiting on that beer!!!!!!!!!

No doubt! If you are ever down by Kentucky Lake stop by Paducah and I’ll buy you one. I could listen to your stories all day! You are like an encyclopedia of IU history...amongst many other things lol!

This choice by Michigan is just one more university that is clearly telling the NCAA we can do whatever we want and you can either get in bed with us or be a worthless laughing stock on the sidelines of this corrupt business enterprise.  I realize Juwan may not have been included in the Weber cheating scandal, but I find it very hard to believe that one star of the team simply sat back while another team member reaped all of the under-the-table cash.

Only thing that I saw bothering me about this hire is that I keep hearing people like Jalen Rose (who I like on ESPN) and others of the NBA guys saying things like Howard is the perfect guy the “restore Michigan basketball” or “bring the program back”? 

That’s so disrespectful to John Beilein. I think he’s slightly overrated, but Beilein oversaw the most successful era of Michigan basketball. Howard should be hoping he can just keep up. 

I guess it’s the ‘getting guys to the NBA is more important than wins’ mentality. 

1 minute ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Looks like the current trend is to hire ex NBA stars, ala Penny Hardaway, so they can show recruits they can get them there? Who knows, Mich. Might have the #1 class next year?

In a very strange way I wouldn't mind if Juwan grabbed a few prized recruits. Hurts Izzo and Sparty. The complaining he most certainly would do would be a fun listen. 

We seem to always debate a coach being able to make an immediate impact vs. getting some time to implement their system, which is silly because as many have mentioned the amount of factors involved in each situation is greatly different.

I honestly have no idea how good of a coach Howard is or will become, but I have to believe he's going to need some time. I'd imagine being an assistant coach in the NBA is greatly different than being a head coach in college. The teaching and development of players is at a completely different level in college, not to mention recruiting. He's going to need a staff with a lot of experience to lean on these first few years. Even if Michigan keeps many of it's returning player and incoming recruits I can't imagine they'll finish in the top half of the Big Ten this year.  

46 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Only thing that I saw bothering me about this hire is that I keep hearing people like Jalen Rose (who I like on ESPN) and others of the NBA guys saying things like Howard is the perfect guy the “restore Michigan basketball” or “bring the program back”? 

That’s so disrespectful to John Beilein. I think he’s slightly overrated, but Beilein oversaw the most successful era of Michigan basketball. Howard should be hoping he can just keep up. 

I guess it’s the ‘getting guys to the NBA is more important than wins’ mentality. 

Beilein is/was the winningest coach in UM history.  And your post is spot on....Coach B is the measuring stick for Wolverine basketball.  Howard better maintain that or ??????

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Definitely. Rose (and Jacoby) are a good listen, Rose usually has a lot of insight and he's entertaining in the way he presents stuff, but, yeah, restore?  

I do think there's a real transition to serving as HC of a top major conference program like UM -- but I also think he won't have any difficulty, at all, in recruiting -- high school stars are going to be very interested in Howard's connections, pedigree, NBA knowledge, etc. This, to me, is kind of like a Calipari hire -- in the sense that recruiting is valued first and foremost.

16 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Definitely. Rose (and Jacoby) are a good listen, Rose usually has a lot of insight and he's entertaining in the way he presents stuff, but, yeah, restore?  

I do think there's a real transition to serving as HC of a top major conference program like UM -- but I also think he won't have any difficulty, at all, in recruiting -- high school stars are going to be very interested in Howard's connections, pedigree, NBA knowledge, etc. This, to me, is kind of like a Calipari hire -- in the sense that recruiting is valued first and foremost.

"You can buy the groceries,  but can you cook?"

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yup, and I think the biggest reason NBA guys struggle in college is that being a high major college basketball or football coach is almost less being a coach and more being a CEO. That doesn't mean that NBA guys can't be CEO's, just that going from NBA assistant, where you're mainly focused on scouting reports and player development is much different than having to manage budgets, prioritize kids class schedules, majors, ego's and personalities, build recruiting strategies 3-5 years down the line, and then all of the school stuff (compliance, speaking engagements, etc.). 

Juwan Howard doesn't strike me as a guy who will be afraid to put the work in, like some other NBA guys, but the question is will all the responsibilities overwhelm him before he has a chance to figure it all out? 

22 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yup, and I think the biggest reason NBA guys struggle in college is that being a high major college basketball or football coach is almost less being a coach and more being a CEO. That doesn't mean that NBA guys can't be CEO's, just that going from NBA assistant, where you're mainly focused on scouting reports and player development is much different than having to manage budgets, prioritize kids class schedules, majors, ego's and personalities, build recruiting strategies 3-5 years down the line, and then all of the school stuff (compliance, speaking engagements, etc.). 

Juwan Howard doesn't strike me as a guy who will be afraid to put the work in, like some other NBA guys, but the question is will all the responsibilities overwhelm him before he has a chance to figure it all out? 

I was thinking along the same lines, but truly wonder if after so many years in the NBA lifestyle, if the lifestyle a college coach has to lead to be successful will be appealing to Juwan.

I was never a fan.  And I have liked the Michigan of the past 20 years, where they've had programs much more befitting them as a school.  It's like a step backwards.  

Culturally, young kids look up to the Fab Five even if they were overrated.  It was more of a cultural impact.  And with Juwan's background in the inner city, he may get some recruits.  But, sadly, it may not be a program worthy of respect as its been under Beilein.

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I was thinking along the same lines, but truly wonder if after so many years in the NBA lifestyle, if the lifestyle a college coach has to lead to be successful will be appealing to Juwan.

To me he will realize that being a college coach is a lot more time consuming than being a coach in the NBA.  In the summer he won't be able to go on vacations with I=his family because he will ne to be traveling around the country chasing 17 year old kids.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me he will realize that being a college coach is a lot more time consuming than being a coach in the NBA.  In the summer he won't be able to go on vacations with I=his family because he will ne to be traveling around the country chasing 17 year old kids.

Wouldn't the allure of coaching your alma mater be an attractive position regardless of what hours it takes? Howard hasn't been shy about what the UM means to him, always been a consistent face in the crowd with Rose at past tourneys. I'm sure the substantial raise in pay is a minor plus as well. 

Archived