Juwan Howard to Michigan

12 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

They "made" 2 Final Fours and an Elite 8 in 3 years. It's fine if you don't like their style, but calling them "..a bunch of losers" is stretching it.

I agree but all the hype they received while not winning any kind of championship is kind of off putting.  When all of the Fab 5 were together the first two years IU were 3-1 against them and we won one big ten championship but UM still got all the pub.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I agree but all the hype they received while not winning any kind of championship is kind of off putting.  When all of the Fab 5 were together the first two years IU were 3-1 against them and we won one big ten championship but UM still got all the pub.

I’m just thankful they got everyone away from short shorts 

41 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

They "made" 2 Final Fours and an Elite 8 in 3 years. It's fine if you don't like their style, but calling them "..a bunch of losers" is stretching it.

I think IU fans would take that type of losing right now. 

2 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

They were not losers...they just were not winners either.  They were a cultural phenomenon...good, undisciplined players who could talent themselves past quite a bit of teams but had trouble whenever they ran up against talented and disciplined teams.  Even now they are known more for braggadocio and fashion choices then they are for what they actually did on the court.

Maybe it is the IU fan in me, but I feel like they are oversold in relation to their actual impact.

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

They were not losers...they just were not winners either.  They were a cultural phenomenon...good, undisciplined players who could talent themselves past quite a bit of teams but had trouble whenever they ran up against talented and disciplined teams.  Even now they are known more for braggadocio and fashion choices then they are for what they actually did on the court.

Maybe it is the IU fan in me, but I feel like they are oversold in relation to their actual impact. 

I agree, but that's because we beat them 3X in two years. Yay us. But a starting 5 of freshman going to champs and repeating the next year is the stuff of marketing dreams.

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, rico said:

Howard has named former St. Joe's HC Phil Martelli has an assistant.  Being reported that Howard Eisley will be joining the staff as well.  And that Saddi Washington will be retained.

Kudos to Howard.  That's a well thought out staff.  One off of the current staff for continuity/familiarity, a former NBA player and (especially important for a first time head coach) a coach with 30+ years of D1 head coaching experience. 

4 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Kudos to Howard.  That's a well thought out staff.  One off of the current staff for continuity/familiarity, a former NBA player and (especially important for a first time head coach) a coach with 30+ years of D1 head coaching experience. 

Interesting about Eisley that I found out today.  He is from Detroit and was HS teammates with Jalen Rose.

But absolutely, looks like Howard has hit the ground running.

6 minutes ago, rico said:

Interesting about Eisley that I found out today.  He is from Detroit and was HS teammates with Jalen Rose.

But absolutely, looks like Howard has hit the ground running.

Didn't know that either.  Looked it up, and Rose, Eisley and Voshon Lenard were all HS teammates. 

I just remember the shot of his that was in the '98 (I think...) NBA Finals that got called off, when the replay showed it was out of his hands when the buzzer went off.  Jazz ended up losing the game by 1 point, which wound up being the clincher for the Bulls. 

1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

Didn't know that either.  Looked it up, and Rose, Eisley and Voshon Lenard were all HS teammates. 

I just remember the shot of his that was in the '98 (I think...) NBA Finals that got called off, when the replay showed it was out of his hands when the buzzer went off.  Jazz ended up losing the game by 1 point, which wound up being the clincher for the Bulls. 

I didn't realize Lenard was on the team as well.  Wow.

I know the shot, not sure of the year myself.  Long time ago.

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Crazy how the college landscape can change. 30ish years ago MSU doesn't get any of those three guys from in-state, in 2019 they probably get 2-3. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Crazy how the college landscape can change. 30ish years ago MSU doesn't get any of those three guys from in-state, in 2019 they probably get 2-3. 

I had to go take a look at Sparty during the Fab Five years...they were pretty good except for 1 year.  

14 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

I agree.  I'm actually shocked at how well he chose.

Archived